Free Brake pads on GM

48 minutes ago, mattsvtcobra said:

I'm at 19,990 miles... Front 30% left, rear is 62% left. Not sure what they will say, but I don't think less than 30k miles to be a 0% is very good.

My 2016 LTZ has almost 50k miles on it and the pads still have plenty of thickness left in them.  So much for this nanny reminder.

Guess the point I was trying to make is this could get you a free set of brake pads. Even if at 10k miles they are only worn 20%, so what. If you get a fresh set that's 10k miles longer until you have to replace them at 40k or 50k. I could care less about the DIC software as I wasn't going to pay attention to that anyways.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

My 2016 LTZ has almost 50k miles on it and the pads still have plenty of thickness left in them.  So much for this nanny reminder.

I get it, too many sensors to which I agree with you. But my statement was more towards getting all of this fixed by GM, and may luck out with new brake pads.

3 hours ago, mattsvtcobra said:

I get it, too many sensors to which I agree with you. But my statement was more towards getting all of this fixed by GM, and may luck out with new brake pads.

My post wasn't directed at you.  It's just that sometimes someone comes up with a solution for a problem that didn't really exist and in the process actually do create a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

My post wasn't directed at you.  It's just that sometimes someone comes up with a solution for a problem that didn't really exist and in the process actually do create a problem.

This might not be a problem for you, but there are plenty of people who don't check/get someone else to check that their brake pads are ok, and with better and better cab sealing technology, it becomes more difficult to hear when the warning tabs are scraping on the rotors, so a warning message for worn out brake pads is a good idea.

It will result in fewer people having their brakes fail.

I put my vin into the NHTSA site and it says 0 unrepaired recalls.  So, am I correct in assuming that my vin doesn't fall under this TSB and the repair has already been done?  I do have a '19 but a late July/'19 build date.  I only have 243 miles on  my AT4, so I would like to get this software refresh done before any more brake pad wear.  

Just another feature (e.g. oil life monitor, brake life monitor etc) to get the customer coming back to the dealer where they are venerable to up-sells and salesmen pitching new vehicles.  You sit around in the lounge or roam the lot looking at new vehicle while the service dept takes its time do what you came in for.   

TSB's and Recall's are not the same.  Recall's are mandated by NHTSA because of safety concerns or issues.  TSB's are just Technical Service Bulletins and lately it seems that most of the TSB's are downloads.  I bought my truck from one dealer but have any work done at a dealer much closer.  The first dealer called me to tell me that there were some Recall's on my truck and I checked the NHTSA website and there were no recalls.  It was time for an oil change so I took it to the second dealer who checked and said there were no Recalls but there were some downloads to be done including the one for the parking brake.  Sometimes I think the dealers use the term Recall to make sure they get you back in so they can collect the $$ from the manufacturer.

My 2019 went to 81% in 2000 miles. I just turned the display off. I am very good on brakes unless I am just feeling sporty. After trading in my 2017 ZL1 for this 2019, I still have that 'race car' feel.

I am going to upgrade to the Big Red Brake system anyway when these burn up.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/performance/2019-silverado-1500-performance-front-brake-system-piston-red/23505023-p-92301746.html