Upgrade from Colorado? - On the fence

44 minutes ago, Donstar said:

The price is often used as justification for expecting more bling.  My first experience with a factory ordered truck was a base model at $4100.  A base model today would cost me 10X as much. So what?  You wouldn't be happy with a $4100 truck with 1974 wages either!   I like a well equipped truck, and expect it to have truck like features.  I prefer GM interiors because they provide a comfortable truck appearance and feel. If I choose to get a higher level truck, I want more brawn not glitter!

Not looking for more bling, just something that was thought out a little better.   It's pretty clear Chevy mailed it in on the interior design, something even they will be admitting to if they fast track a redesign for 2021.   

4,100 1974 dollars works out to $21,336 today.   For $21k I don't expect a fancy interior.   For something 3 times that I at least want something that's a little better thought out.   And to clarify I'm not talking about a Ram interior with a huge screen, just something that isn't a mediocre wash of black and grey plastics.  

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

Not expect, feel entitled.

I didn't come here asking for people to tell me how to spend my money or be called entitled for expecting an expensive asset to look the part.   Last I checked entitlement has nothing to do with someone putting their hard earned dollars to use and expecting something of quality of that money.  Strange I feel like I was just scolded for voicing an opinion on the interior design and find myself defending my stance.  I was just hoping to get some feedback from current owners and use that as part of my decision making process.   

Thanks to all who chimed in with thoughtful and relevant input, it's much appreciated!  It's a wonderful truck overall and hats off to all of the fortunate owners.

27 minutes ago, alwaysworkin said:

How about the driving characteristics between the two?   It's so hard to tell on short test drives, but the Colorado feels so much more nimble getting out of the full size.   I'm guessing something I'd get used to, but kind of like the way the Colorado feels lighter than it is.

The canyon/Colorado is definitely more nimble around turns and feels shiftier. The Silverado is smoother overall, and handles better. Not to mention the power of the V8 over the V6 is noticeable as well. Both are nice trucks, but I think an extended stay in a Silverado would sway you towards the full size.

1 hour ago, alwaysworkin said:

Sorry for trying to do a little research and asking for some opinions before making a large financial decision, shame on me.   If you would have read my original post the first thing I listed was interior space, which is a huge jump from the Colorado and nothing to do with aesthetics.  

I'm sorry if I came across poorly. I just wanted to point out that you are the one spending your money. Only you know your needs vs wants. It seems that you are cost conscious since you are concerned about the depreciation, and you aren't all that excited about the interior. So my advice is wait until you are fully ready to spring for a new one.

I think your interior space issue will be most noticeable in the width of the cab. So unless you sit 3 wide, (or have child seats across the back seat) how valuable are those extra inches to you?

But yes, a smaller truck handles much more like a car. The full size is a bit harder to maneuver and park in tight areas due to larger size and worse turning radius. On the open road the difference is negligible.

50 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I'm sorry if I came across poorly. I just wanted to point out that you are the one spending your money. Only you know your needs vs wants. It seems that you are cost conscious since you are concerned about the depreciation, and you aren't all that excited about the interior. So my advice is wait until you are fully ready to spring for a new one.

I think your interior space issue will be most noticeable in the width of the cab. So unless you sit 3 wide, (or have child seats across the back seat) how valuable are those extra inches to you?

But yes, a smaller truck handles much more like a car. The full size is a bit harder to maneuver and park in tight areas due to larger size and worse turning radius. On the open road the difference is negligible.

Thanks for following up on this.  The cost and depreciation thing comes from a standpoint of hating depreciating assets vs affordability.   I've been all over the board on this search from F150 Platinums, to considering a Raptor, and now the Sierra SLT.   The Denali is nice, but I'm not crazy about the grille and all seem to have the ultimate package which is a bunch of stuff I don't need.  I'm one of those that does the math every time I turn a car and analyze what the car I'm selling cost me to drive annually in depreciation.   The few that have been high numbers really sting, so a big part of my purchase decision is at least trying to protect against that.   

The rear leg room difference between the Sierra and Colorado is substantial, probably three times the leg room back there.  I'm kind of treating this purchase like a stop-gap in a way.   By that I mean I get out of the Colorado while it's still worth a bit and into something that better suits my current needs.   If, in a couple of years, GM goes nuts and turns out some huge interior improvements it would be nice to have the option to move to the newer truck and not give up too much on depreciation.    Or, if I really end up liking this one I keep it for a few more years.   Just nice to have options in the future and the decisions I make now can help with that.

9 hours ago, alwaysworkin said:

So who is the target audience for a crew cab Denali then?   These high trim crew cab trucks are designed for people who need (or I guess want) a truck, but also something to take the family out in.   Frankly I'd rather not own a truck if I didn't have to.   I'd much rather plunk the same money into a 2-3 year old BMW M5 and enjoy the better driving experience.    In fact, I still try to figure out if I can make do without truck but always circle back to the fact that not having one would be a major issue.   I need the truck for business and a few properties I maintain.    What's wrong for asking for the best of both worlds in a $60,000 purchase?   

I have no problem with the functionality, switches, or screen size of the interior.   But compared to other $60k vehicles it's a blah interior.   And I know I'm not alone with this thought.   The other features and updates are incredible and the reason I'm looking past the interior disappointment.   Things like the larger bed, 6.2 paired with the 10 speed, and tailgate are awesome features and will make doing truck things much more convenient.  Just too bad they couldn't be dressed up the dash a bit more to make it a little more exciting to look at.

The $60k M5 won't haul or tow anything. Can't take it anywhere that isn't paved.

8 hours ago, alwaysworkin said:

How about the driving characteristics between the two?   It's so hard to tell on short test drives, but the Colorado feels so much more nimble getting out of the full size.   I'm guessing something I'd get used to, but kind of like the way the Colorado feels lighter than it is.

If you're at all concerned, I would definitely recommend an extended test drive. My dealership practically threw the keys at me and told me to bring the truck back the next day. Any dealership that won't let you do that is probably hiding something and shouldn't get your business. 

My cousin is driving a Colorado as his work truck because he says it's nicer to drive a lighter truck but he also has an F350 if he needs more truck. I think a half ton is a good middle ground between drivability and capability. 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

11 hours ago, alwaysworkin said:

The newer Colorados are really a 7/8ths size truck, so transitioning to a 1500 isn't any big deal.  I went from an S-15 to a Sierra 1500 without any problems.  If bed length isn't important, get the short bed.  My 2016 LTZ is a short bed, so it's easier to park in tight areas, especially since I have front and rear sensors, so make sure you at least get those.  Surround view is also available now to make parking even easier.  My 2019 is a standard bed, so parking will be a little more difficult, especially when I go to the downtown area of the big city and try to parallel park.  

Good morning,

I made the switch from a 15 z71 crew cab Colorado to a 17 LT z71 crew cab Silverado. For me it was issue of interior space with a rear facing car seat making it uncomfortable for the people in the front. That said, I was a big fan of the Colorado. It had all the bells and whistles I could want and the smaller footprint allowed me to put it in garage and get around town a little easier. I wouldn’t have made a change had my life circumstances hadn’t changed.

I feel like the move to the Silverado was a huge up grade. From a price point perspective, I gained significantly more space and more creature comforts for a difference of less than 4K out the door. I did however have to give up the ability to put the truck in the garage.

I would suggest deciding what is best for you while considering need vs want, cost, future plans, etc...

I have no brand loyalty so I would test drive as many trucks as possible and go with works best for you, knowing that what ever you chose, with in a year, there will be something newer and “better” out. I’m happy with what I have and have no plans of making a change in the foreseeable future, but you never know what down the road will bring you.

Good look in decision and be happy with whatever you decide.

I traded in my 2016, for a Silverado LT Trail Boss, and happy I did. Positives: Interior is much more comfortable, the additional bed space, ride, power, sunroof, built in garage opener, nicer informant system (I'm sure there is more, but all that comes to mind at the moment). Negatives: The larger size of the vehicle is not big city friendly (Bellevue, WA). The vast majority of parking is for compact vehicles, which I could squeeze the Colorado in to. Not a big deal, as I now take the Volt on those trips.Old.thumb.jpeg.cdcbe900b782b74500562e0917fab249.jpeg

I'll preface by saying I've owned trucks and SUVs before my Silverado LT, and my wife has an Expedition EL so I'm pretty accustomed to driving 1/2 ton sized vehicles.  That said...

I came from a VW GTI to the Silverado.  I've owned a ton of cars, but the GTI was one of the most well built, reliable, and fun to drive cars I've owned. I felt the interior on a $30k mainline brand car was as good as the $50k BMWs.  Was it German style stark & austere...yeah.  Was it very well put together and look nice...yup.  I feel like the Silverado is almost as nice as the VW, the only area I have a slight complaint is in the front dash speaker grilles I feel that they could be slightly more flush.  To me, the Silverado interior feel very German, it is functional, it has a certain style to it, but it is also fairly austere.  I like it myself, feel like the materials are nice, and will hold up after years of use.  

Everything else...well the GTI has the performance pack, brakes were close to the same size as the truck (13.4" front rotors on a 3000lb. car), it was a subcompact hot hatch with an underrated engine, LSD, and a phenomenal DSG that was close to telepathic, handled like it was on rails after I upgrade to some Michelin PSS.  And all of that the only thing I miss going to the Silverado is...how easy a 168" long vehicle is to park downtown the 2x a year I need to go into the city.  Yeah, the driving dynamics of the car were great, but everything else made me long to get rid of it and back into a truck.

Long story short, going from a Colorado to a T1 won't be much of a difference, and if you really want more interior space and more bed space you'll be quite happy.  I settled back into driving a 1/2 ton pretty quickly and bought a car that is quite nearly 2x the size.  Going from a Colorado to a Sierra will be a minimal adjustment.

I went from a 2015 Colorado Extended Cab 2.5/6 speed manual to a 2019 Silverado RST 2.7 Double Cab.

The width and interior room were the big things that pushed me to upgrade, as well as the towing tech and overall size.

The Colorado is a more nimble truck and feels like it is smaller than it is when the road gets twisty. The Silverado is very capable (especially with 22s), however it is not what I would call nimble. It tows like a beast (my Colorado did quite well for what it was - however with my boat weighing about as much as the truck it did get pushed around a lot more than the Silverado).

My Colorado was an early production 2015 - and it was trouble free for 80K hard miles. It was an absolute workhorse, took whatever I threw at it and still felt rock solid when I traded it. My Silverado spent over 30 days at the dealer in its first 3,000 miles of life - I lemon lawed it and ended up settling with GM out of court. Since then, I have put 7500 more miles on it and while the engine has not let me down, the transmission has started shuddering, the steering column is clunking, my shifter is getting noticeably loose and a few rattles have cropped up.

In terms of quality, it doesn't hold a candle to my Colorado, IMO.