Towing , should 2WD or Auto be used

RGL

O boy, there are plenty of old threads with arguments about this.

I also drive in winter conditions. Truck stays in 2HI unless I'm actively plowing or there is significant ice/snow on the road. Then I choose 4HI. 

4 auto is for my wife (if I ever let her drive in winter) 

If you can't drive in 2HI without losing control of the rear end, maybe you should go back to driving school. They tell you to drive within the limits of the road conditions. So maybe you can't be a street racer in the rain.

• Like 1

O boy, there are plenty of old threads with arguments about this.

I also drive in winter conditions. Truck stays in 2HI unless I'm actively plowing or there is significant ice/snow on the road. Then I choose 4HI. 

4 auto is for my wife (if I ever let her drive in winter) 

If you can't drive in 2HI without losing control of the rear end, maybe you should go back to driving school. They tell you to drive within the limits of the road conditions. So maybe you can't be a street racer in the rain.

I used 4auto when towing a small trailer and didn’t notice any difference honestly. The gas mileage wasn’t noticeable either but I haven’t done too much towing in this truck. I would probably use it during rain or ice when towing. It’s only really helpful at takeoff and low speeds. It doesn’t do much for traction or control at highway speeds. I wouldn’t buy a 4 wheel drive specifically to use auto4 when towing but I own a z71 and it’s there so I will use it in low traction scenarios.

My wife drives in 4 auto, and if you can’t drive in the 2hi without losing control, lol. You don’t have to challenge the manhood of those using 4auto. I have had my2014 in auto for months and months. It got turned on a during a good rain storm and I accidentally left it on for a while. I liked having that on. When I take off on a dusty dry road in 2wd the tires want to spin and you lose momentum and acceleration when merging. With 4 auto on the truck starts to lose traction and the other tires kick in and I take off nice and smooth merging into traffic. Can I drive without 4 auto? Yes. Do I use it a lot because it’s there? Absolutely, Even if it is perceived as not manly by ,WOOF WOOF manly men!!! I did tow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I would probably use it during rain or ice when towing. It’s only really helpful at takeoff and low speeds. It doesn’t do much for traction or control at highway speeds."

image.gif.d19dc7079c1fb1cc8ca2881bee3aab92.gif

This part is spot on.

22 minutes ago, Knotsure said:

My wife drives in 4 auto, and if you can’t drive in the 2hi without losing control, lol. You don’t have to challenge the manhood of those using 4auto. I have had my2014 in auto for months and months. It got turned on a during a good rain storm and I accidentally left it on for a while. I liked having that on. When I take off on a dusty dry road in 2wd the tires want to spin and you lose momentum and acceleration when merging. With 4 auto on the truck starts to lose traction and the other tires kick in and I take off nice and smooth merging into traffic. Can I drive without 4 auto? Yes. Do I use it a lot because it’s there? Absolutely, Even if it is perceived as not manly by ,WOOF WOOF manly men!!!

golly, I hope you you could tell there was a bit of sarcasm in my post. But how on earth can those other prius/honda/whatever cars even manage to drive with only 2 powered wheels? 

If you need 4 driving wheels in order to pull out into traffic, you must have ridiculously congested traffic, because I can somehow merge into traffic without having to floor it, or use 4WD.

I understand how 4 auto make you feel like you have more power. I'm just trying to point out that if you NEED that, maybe your driving style is too aggressive. If driving within the road conditions is manly, call me Ron Swanson.

Edited by aseibel

5 hours ago, Moend said:

Yeah i am not sure my 2000 Silverado was horrible when I left it in auto. It felt like auto and 4hi were the same thing. When i put it in auto it never knew when to switch to 2hi and that is when I stopped using that feature all together. My dad keep his 2016 in auto prettty much all winter unless he is traveling on the interstate and when we did transfer case oil change the plug had tons of metal shaving which was double what was on mine with twice the mileage on mine if not more.

IMG_20181021_140929.jpg

My 2001 Sierra was flawless and the transition between engaging and disengaging the front wheels was seamless.  I had that truck for over 14 years and never once had a driveline issue.  My mechanic would have told me had he found an unusual amount of shavings when changed the fluids.

4 hours ago, oldmann said:

Do not use Auto unless you have a situation where 4x4 is needed.

That makes no sense.  Why not just straight to 4HI and forget about Auto?  Auto is perfect for local driving in the winter where you encounter both icy/snowy conditions and bare pavement.  I've been using it this way for almost 19 years now with a 2001 Sierra and a 2016 Silverado and have never had an issue with it.  When I make my run into the big city 45 miles away during winter, I use 2HI on the highway and go back into Auto as I approach the first red light.  I use 4HI only if we just had a big dump and the roads haven't been plowed yet or some other kind of situation where I need power to all the wheels.  4LO is rarely used because I don't go rock crawling or through conditions that warrant it, although I did use 4LO to pull some jackass that parked their Ford Expedition in my driveway one night, back out into the street.  .  

Edited by AlaskaErik
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlaskaErik said:

That makes no sense.  Why not just straight to 4HI and forget about Auto?  Auto is perfect for local driving in the winter where you encounter both icy/snowy conditions and bare pavement.  I've been using it this way for almost 19 years now with a 2001 Sierra and a 2016 Silverado and have never had an issue with it.  When I make my run into the big city 45 miles away, I use 2HI on the highway and go back into Auto as I approach the first red light.  I use 4HI only if we just had a big dump and the roads haven't been plowed yet or some other kind of situation where I need power to all the wheels.  4LO is rarely used because I don't go rock crawling or through conditions that warrant it, although I did use 4LO to pull some jackass that parked their Ford Expedition in my driveway one night, back out into the street.  .  

I am referring to when the OP pulls his trailer.  I totally agree with your comments of when to use the modes.  I use 4lo a bit in the winter offroad.  It shuts off the nanny controls and free wheeling is needed to get through the deep snow.

1 hour ago, AlaskaErik said:

My 2001 Sierra was flawless and the transition between engaging and disengaging the front wheels was seamless.  I had that truck for over 14 years and never once had a driveline issue.  My mechanic would have told me had he found an unusual amount of shavings when changed the fluids.

Fair enough. Around here I don't trust dealers mechanics. Not because they don't know, but mainly because they don't care. That right there was supposedly checked and didn't needed to be changed but I told Dad lets do it at the house . It cost about 20 bucks and good way to spend the weekend with my father and my son. And ended up with that picture. I mean maybe that metal shaving is nothing to worry about on the count of the truck has close to 100k on it now.

Anyways the most misconception is that 4wd or AWD improve safety and confident on the road. I would say that is false unless you are taking off on a slippery road and you want to get out of the way fast. And will never try to use 4WD on dry pavement. 

I remember in my previous job a coworker came from TX to ND and drove the rental truck on the highway for about 2 hours in 4hi - not harping on folks from TX some of them are much better driver than me. But it was funny to feel the truck hopping in the parking lot ?

Edited by Moend
Typo