Towing , should 2WD or Auto be used

RGL

I have a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Limited (2018 model manufactured in 2019) , and using it to tow my 5000lbs travel trailer. I was wondering if I should be using the 2WD or AUTO option when towing? Is there advantages t using one over the other?

Thanks for the response, I was thinking the same, but since this is my first truck and as well my first summer towing a trailer, I thought I would ask.

Thanks again!

It will negatively affect your gas mileage in Auto as the front driveshaft is engaged causing more driveline power loss. On pavement, keep it in 2wd. Wet/hilly terrain is the only time I'd consider it on pavement.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I actually don't like the auto all together either 2wd or 4wd. Auto in these truck mean it will engage on/off when it need it. And if its anything like the old trucks will be cycling on/off all the time which is crazy amount of wear on your transfer case. Some might argue that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moend said:

Only time I used it while towing is pulling the boat on a slippery ramp on a frosty day.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I got my answer. 

Yeah, I leave mine in 2WD all the time. Granted, I live in Texas so we don't have much snow or ice down here (unless Jerry is hosting the Super Bowl and God blesses him with a 4-day ice storm that shuts the whole Metroplex down, Lol). But with the G80 rear locker, my need for 4WD is very seldom. 

As others mentioned, keeping it in 2WD reduces the wear on the front differential a lot, too. 

• Haha 1

I use AUTO if its raining out. Just yesterday I was stopped on a slight grade (wet pavement) with trailer and when I took off the rear tires broke loose and AUTO kicked in.  Depends on road conditions. 

Edited by elcamino

12 hours ago, Moend said:

I actually don't like the auto all together either 2wd or 4wd. Auto in these truck mean it will engage on/off when it need it. And if its anything like the old trucks will be cycling on/off all the time which is crazy amount of wear on your transfer case. Some might argue that. 

I agree Moe, although I live in SC now and the K1500 I inherited from my Dad only sees 2WD now, I believe from personal experience back in eastern Washington state in that very same p/u that auto 4WD gives a false sense of security at higher speeds on compact snow, the ass end of the p/u is already starting to slide before auto 4WD kicks in. I see very few instances where auto 4WD is a benefit over regular 2WD or 4WD hi, but don't believe me, believe Moe, he's a Nodak after all!

• Like 1

I have never quite understood the wording in the owner's manual that says only engage 4WD when needed so as to reduce wear on the drivetrain. Was the transfer case not built from the onset to with stand this? I can understand "crow hop" wearing out the drivetrain because of the undue stress but Auto? I only drive in 2WD since i'm Texas but that to me this is just strange wording. 

I have also been reading 4WD has to be engaged once every few months to make sure they don't seize up over time. 

4wd will help you taking off but will do nothing to stop you. So on slick icy intersection instead of spenning the rear wheels forever u lock it in 4hi and zip through the intersection then back to 2hi. Never came across you have to engage 4wd every few months to prevented from seizing.but I never went more than 6months without using 4wd. I live in rural area and 2wd won't cut it most of the time. Big tall pickups get stuck in my area. I mean when u have snow drifts 3-6 ft high there is nothing you can do. Picture below is the proof ?

IMG_20161206_090734.jpg

On 9/24/2019 at 7:28 PM, Moend said:

I've been using Auto since 2000 and have never had any problems with it.  It's great for winter driving and I can't imagine ever owning a pickup without it.  The last truck I owned without it required me to launch in 4HI at icy intersections, and then I'd have to go back to 2WD once I reached dry pavement past the intersection.  With AutoTrac, I just drive off without any problem.  On the highway, I do switch over to 2WD.  I have never experienced any transfer case issues and have never heard of anyone else experiencing any issues either. 

6 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

I've been using Auto since 2000 and have never had any problems with it.  It's great for winter driving and I can't imagine ever owning a pickup without it.  The last truck I owned without it required me to launch in 4HI at icy intersections, and then I'd have to go back to 2WD once I reached dry pavement past the intersection.  With AutoTrac, I just drive off without any problem.  On the highway, I do switch over to 2WD.  I have never experienced any transfer case issues and have never heard of anyone else experiencing any issues either. 

Yeah i am not sure my 2000 Silverado was horrible when I left it in auto. It felt like auto and 4hi were the same thing. When i put it in auto it never knew when to switch to 2hi and that is when I stopped using that feature all together. My dad keep his 2016 in auto prettty much all winter unless he is traveling on the interstate and when we did transfer case oil change the plug had tons of metal shaving which was double what was on mine with twice the mileage on mine if not more.

IMG_20181021_140929.jpg