4wd 4x4 switch noise high frequency

Hey everyone, So i just purchased my first Silverado used and immediately the gf and I notice a high frequency noise. The truck is a 2016 LT and when I test drove the truck we noticed nothing odd. after the salesman gave me a rundown on everything and how it works. He then put the truck in 4x4 auto and was explaining the 4x4 stuff and then onto onstar. 

We left the dealership and immediately turned around and asked for him to hop in. He witnessed the noise and scheduled service to fix the problem. They gave me a bulletin for the transfer case and claim that is the noise when the transfer case is running. it sounds like a high frequency electrical noise. I have tried searching the forums and internet with no luck. I'm ready to try and just purchase a new switch and see if that solves the problem. any thoughts or advice would be great.

When I put the vehicle in 2H I get zero noise from switch, when its in 4Auto or 4x4 then you can here the noise come and go randomly. 

10 hours ago, 400ex2008 said:

Hey everyone, So i just purchased my first Silverado used and immediately the gf and I notice a high frequency noise. The truck is a 2016 LT and when I test drove the truck we noticed nothing odd. after the salesman gave me a rundown on everything and how it works. He then put the truck in 4x4 auto and was explaining the 4x4 stuff and then onto onstar. 

We left the dealership and immediately turned around and asked for him to hop in. He witnessed the noise and scheduled service to fix the problem. They gave me a bulletin for the transfer case and claim that is the noise when the transfer case is running. it sounds like a high frequency electrical noise. I have tried searching the forums and internet with no luck. I'm ready to try and just purchase a new switch and see if that solves the problem. any thoughts or advice would be great.

When I put the vehicle in 2H I get zero noise from switch, when its in 4Auto or 4x4 then you can here the noise come and go randomly. 

Welcome to the site, and Congratulations on your new truck!

Are they going to fix it for free? If so, save your money.

There have been a few updates for the transfer cases on this model run, maybe you still qualify for the fix.

8 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site, and Congratulations on your new truck!

Are they going to fix it for free? If so, save your money.

There have been a few updates for the transfer cases on this model run, maybe you still qualify for the fix.

No they are not going to fix it. That's why I'm on here. They gave some B's bulletin about transfer case noise but this is electrical sound.

Yeah it's a known issue, my 2016 does it, my 2014 did it... There was a guy who posted how to wrap some part of the dash in dynomat and I think add some other insulation around one of the modules to help but, GM can't/won't do anything about it... Two options to fix it otherwise are: 1) Turn up the radio 2) trade the truck for a Ford or Ram... It used to bother me but, does not now however, even here in the snow belt I don't use anything but 2H most of the time anyways...  It's been a known issue on these trucks since the K2 trucks came out in 2013..

This has been discussed at length on here before, here is the relevant information from the post below.  I had a 2015 that made this noise, but my 2017 does not do it.  May just have to push them some more to get them to look up the "B" version of the tech bulletin.  Not sure on warranty coverage of this, but there is a fix anyway. 

#PIP5261B: Faint High Pitched Whine Noise In Auto 4 Wheel Drive - (Feb 9, 2017)

Equipped with RPO NQH or NP0

Supersession Statement:

This PI was superseded to provide repair direction. Please discard PIP5261A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on a high pitched whine noise from the vehicle noticed when driving in auto 4wd.

The customer may comment that it is an intermittent noise and no noticeable pattern to when it can be heard.

Recommendation/Instructions

The transfer case control module on these vehicles is located next to the accelerator pedal and is not covered by any close out or hush panels.

When the transfer case control module has to move the transfer case actuator motor the higher current passing through the module causes an "electronic buzz or whine" within some of the capacitors in the module that can be heard by some of our customers.

The latest transfer case control module in service parts has provisions to eliminate this noise. Replace transfer case control module with current part number in the catalog. When programming the module ensure that the description for the calibration installed states the following "New software (Version 9.2) to address field issue of setting DTC C0398 while being driven in AUTO mode for 1 hour due to the IPS sensor drifting."

• Like 2

11 hours ago, andyhaug said:

This has been discussed at length on here before, here is the relevant information from the post below.  I had a 2015 that made this noise, but my 2017 does not do it.  May just have to push them some more to get them to look up the "B" version of the tech bulletin.  Not sure on warranty coverage of this, but there is a fix anyway. 

#PIP5261B: Faint High Pitched Whine Noise In Auto 4 Wheel Drive - (Feb 9, 2017)

Equipped with RPO NQH or NP0

Supersession Statement:

This PI was superseded to provide repair direction. Please discard PIP5261A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on a high pitched whine noise from the vehicle noticed when driving in auto 4wd.

The customer may comment that it is an intermittent noise and no noticeable pattern to when it can be heard.

Recommendation/Instructions

The transfer case control module on these vehicles is located next to the accelerator pedal and is not covered by any close out or hush panels.

When the transfer case control module has to move the transfer case actuator motor the higher current passing through the module causes an "electronic buzz or whine" within some of the capacitors in the module that can be heard by some of our customers.

The latest transfer case control module in service parts has provisions to eliminate this noise. Replace transfer case control module with current part number in the catalog. When programming the module ensure that the description for the calibration installed states the following "New software (Version 9.2) to address field issue of setting DTC C0398 while being driven in AUTO mode for 1 hour due to the IPS sensor drifting."

Thanks Brother I shall do some more digging with this in mind. I appreciate the quick input from everyone.  I will have to ask the dealer about the programming side of it. I was hoping I could just purchase a switch. thank you again

14 minutes ago, 400ex2008 said:

IDk if this is handy in my book, its like nails on a chalk board.

I found it was only noticeable when changing from 2wd to 4wd. I didn't notice it while in gear. Is yours constant?

I don't believe there is any danger, or anything wrong - it's just annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

The dealership did replace the module and do the programming. 

thanks everyone for all the info, again the dealership told me it was normal transfer case noise until I gave them this bulletin and told them it was the module. 

• Like 1

The dealership did replace the module and do the programming. 

thanks everyone for all the info, again the dealership told me it was normal transfer case noise until I gave them this bulletin and told them it was the module. 
Nice score! Wish i coulda seen the look on their face.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk