Will this kit work?

So this kit and the RC kit look very similar except for that rear crossmember mod that RC has going on.  I would rather not go chopping up my truck for just 3".  I am not sure what the point of that crossmember chop mod is anyway.  I assume it is to make room for the differential, but if this kit and regular spacer kits dont need that, then why does RC?  It looks like this kit stacks the spacers differently than RC - maybe that does it.  They claim they have something called a pre-load ring.  What is that?

All these 3" kits look to be nothing more than standard spacer leveling blocks, new control arms, and rear shocks.  The spacers should be same from one brand to the next - its just a hunk of machined metal.  The shocks seem unnecessary if you can get an adapter, and honestly I would rather buy Billsteins instead of what they include (however this kit has a Billstein option).   The big questions is the control arm quality.   Control arms alone can cost well more than these cheap kits.    And are they really needed for 3"?

If they weren't needed then it would seem to make sense to buy just a cheap spacer kit and new rear shocks or an extension adapter.  Would change it to a $100-200 purchase if going the cheapest route.

I wonder what the risk is with these cheap control arms?  I assume its primarily ball joint failure.  One member was citing that failure mode as common on the older RC 3.5 kit.  It seems unlikely that the overall arm would just break.  I wonder if the ball joints could be replaced with higher quality units.  However these claim they are MOOG ball Joints.  I know nothing about that, but looking online they seem like they might be pretty good.

Im kinda rabling but I think I might like this kit better than the RC.  Just unsure about that pre-load ring and what it does to the ride.

Edited by TexasGMCZ71

4 hours ago, kevinwalker17 said:

Why won't this kit work?

I actually just called Superlift and got an explanation.  The pre-load ring goes into the strut assembly to basically compress the factory spring and reduce travel.  This reduced the concern about overextending the CV angles or needing to chop crossmember brackets for differential clearance. They calim this has a negligible effect on ride quality.  Im scared to be the guinea pig to find out.  The other issue I see is that this now necessitates the need to disassemble the front strut assembly.  That takes an easy at home job and makes it quite a bit more specialized and/or dangerous.  If you were having a shop do it all then its of no consequence. 

All in all, if the ride quality is good, I think I would pick this one over the rough country.   No chopping required, just the pain of strut rebuild.  And you can get Billstein 5100s for the rear vs the RC house brand (probably rebranded monroe).

Be awaare the second link as shown above by kevinwalker17 is for the Legacy 2019s.  The first link is correct though.

If anyone is interested,the 2" level kit on the Superlift page is shown with 305/55/r20s he said.  It looks pretty nice.

They also cautioned against more than 2" with a simple spacer.  Apparently there is opportunity for damage.

Edited by TexasGMCZ71

17 hours ago, TexasGMCZ71 said:

I actually just called Superlift and got an explanation.  The pre-load ring goes into the strut assembly to basically compress the factory spring and reduce travel.  This reduced the concern about overextending the CV angles or needing to chop crossmember brackets for differential clearance. They calim this has a negligible effect on ride quality.  Im scared to be the guinea pig to find out.  The other issue I see is that this now necessitates the need to disassemble the front strut assembly.  That takes an easy at home job and makes it quite a bit more specialized and/or dangerous.  If you were having a shop do it all then its of no consequence. 

All in all, if the ride quality is good, I think I would pick this one over the rough country.   No chopping required, just the pain of strut rebuild.  And you can get Billstein 5100s for the rear vs the RC house brand (probably rebranded monroe).

Be awaare the second link as shown above by kevinwalker17 is for the Legacy 2019s.  The first link is correct though.

If anyone is interested,the 2" level kit on the Superlift page is shown with 305/55/r20s he said.  It looks pretty nice.

They also cautioned against more than 2" with a simple spacer.  Apparently there is opportunity for damage.

regarding the pre-load ring not allowing the spring to compress as much,  the CV angle will still be altered. That logic doesn't make sense. I agree it doesn't allow as much downward travel (overall)

it doesn't matter where the block goes, on top, on bottom, in the coil.... the CV angle will still be affected, negatively.

The only thing the limitation on the over-extension part, would be the upward direction, not downward. Downward and full extension is the concern, for the harder angle, not compressed and flat or perpendicular to the drive.

Edited by tanner709
  • Like 1

Just and FYI, I noticed on Rough Country's website that they changed the instructions on their 3" kit today.  I called them and they confirmed that they changed the kit.  They got rid of rear crossmember mods, but added a preload spacer.  Essentially it is the exact same kit as the Superlift kit now. I think I would go with the superlift as it comes with real billstein 5100s for the rear and costs less.

Edited by Ezekiel2517