New Denali, Tire Upgrade?

Ohdee

Hey guys, looking for advice or opinions on whether or not I should upgrade the factory shipped Bridgestone, 22" 275/50R22SL with Michelin Premier LTX tires. I'm getting winter tires so the 22's will only be used in warm weather conditions, city and highway driving only. 

My dealer has quoted me $1,000.00 (cdn) installed to upgrade to the Michelin's. I'm having a difficult time finding information on the factory Bridgestone tires. Google says Bridgestone makes some really good tires. Now I'm confused? Are Michelin's really better and is $1,000.00 Canadian (approx 750 usd) worth swapping them out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The premier LTX are garbage. Do some research on them and you'll find out they only last 20,000-30,000 miles on full size trucks. They come with maybe 9/32nds new where as other truck tires come with 13-14/32nd new.

Get the regular Defender LTX if they make it in that size, you'll be far better off with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

The premier LTX are garbage. Do some research on them and you'll find out they only last 20,000-30,000 miles on full size trucks. They come with maybe 9/32nds new where as other truck tires come with 13-14/32nd new.

Get the regular Defender LTX if they make it in that size, you'll be far better off with them.

Agree with this. Get the regular LTX. I've had a few pair of these and cannot overstate how great they are. 

NOW... are they $1000 CAD great when you have brand new Bridgestones on your truck...? 

If it were me, I would not do it. 

• Like 1

I would not trash the Bridgestones. $1000 more for a marginally better tire? If they are actually better? At least let them wear out a little. Mine are doing fine so far. Not the best in the winter, but not bad. I only have 11000 on them, but wear is nonexistent. Quiet ride. Not bad in rain. I do hope they come out with better choices for our size. All I see on Tirerack are the Bridgestones and Michelins.

What are you using for the winter? Did you downsize?

• Like 1

I've had many many sets of 22's through the years (285/45/22) and always had Bridgestones (good tire) except for one set of Coopers. This time I went with the Michelin Premier LTX 275/50/22. This is the smoothest, quietest best riding 22" tire I've ever had. Couldn't be happier. The tires balanced out perfect with very little weight.  They ride beautifuly at all speeds with no shakes, shimmies or vibration. I keep my pressure checked and tires rotated so longevity shouldn't be a problem. I've read many great reviews on several sites about these in this size. There's always a few who may have gotten a flawed set or had problems but every tire brand will have that. Maybe some other sizes have had issues but the 275/50/22's are far from garbage.  Treadwear is 620 with traction A temp A.  

20190523_170113.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, smit303 said:

What are you using for the winter? Did you downsize?

I had the dealer include 18 inch blizzak winter tires, steel rims and tire pressure sensors in with the deal so I will be using winter tires once the weather changes. 

Thanks for all the advice, I've decided to keep the Bridgestone's. My 15 Denali had Good Year's and I would describe them as being crappy. I kind of assumed GM would cheap out again with the Bridgestone but I've been researching online and they're actually getting good reviews. Some in fact saying they're a better tire than the Michelin I was considering "upgrading" too. 

Again, I appreciate the advice! 

I work in the tire business, seen more than enough warranty claims to know how long they last.

The size doesn't matter either. It could be a 18in rim on a Ford edge or a 20/22in rim on a Suburban or Silverado. They just do not last anywhere close to the mileage rating.

If you're fine with good handling and good ride for a short amount of time and a lot of money, it's the tire to buy. Or spend similar or less for the defenders and get far more life out of the tire.

Edited by CamGTP

Not that I'm disagreeing that there were cases of not getting expected mileage but tire issues can vary from size to size even if they're the same model.  The Premier 275/50/22 is a recent tire and just because someone had a 275/60/20 and only got 30k out of them doesn't mean the same will happen to the 22". Many things come into play; driving conditions, driving style, air pressure, rotation and front end alignment.  If I only get 30k so be it. Who knows. I do know these by far are the best riding quietest tires I've ever had.  No 22" tires I've had in the past balanced out so well with so little weight. I'm very satisfied. Whatever tire you say is the best, I can find bad reviews on them as well. No 275/50/22" tire will have a perfect 10.0 out of 10.0 or five star rating in hundreds of reviews. 

On 9/16/2019 at 11:26 PM, mafd2 said:

I've had many many sets of 22's through the years (285/45/22) and always had Bridgestones (good tire) except for one set of Coopers. This time I went with the Michelin Premier LTX 275/50/22. This is the smoothest, quietest best riding 22" tire I've ever had. Couldn't be happier. The tires balanced out perfect with very little weight.  They ride beautifuly at all speeds with no shakes, shimmies or vibration. I keep my pressure checked and tires rotated so longevity shouldn't be a problem. I've read many great reviews on several sites about these in this size. There's always a few who may have gotten a flawed set or had problems but every tire brand will have that. Maybe some other sizes have had issues but the 275/50/22's are far from garbage.  Treadwear is 620 with traction A temp A.  

20190523_170113.jpg

Nice looking wheel And tire set up.  Just bought a set of those Michelin‘s myself. Hopefully I’ll be putting them on a set of 22 inch snowflakes  for my 19 HC. And thanks for straightening us out in another thread about those snowflakes. I should’ve known something was up when I saw the front brake calipers on my 19. Which are considerably larger .And stick out a little further than the previous generation trucks.

0FC6C614-8AB2-4BB9-AF55-04617F3D4599.jpeg

• Like 1