5.3/10 speed

15BlackAT

11 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Seriously the 10-speed is flawless. Whatever it costs extra it's worth it. I have 6.2 with the 10-speed and it's the best transmission I've had in a vehicle since my 08 TrailBlazer SS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

How many miles do you have on the truck? I always laugh when people say it is the best they have ever had and they have low miles on it. So it is either your first vehicle or all the others have been horrid where that assumption can be made so quickly? Why not wait to say that when oh I dunno, you get rid of the truck/vehicle? It could have monumental problems or failures next year... See this many times with new buyers, a few thousand in to it and it is the best ever! My current truck is good, will wait another 5 years until I get rid of it to see if it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. In our family the best we ever had was a 1991 Astro van. The current vehicles are nicer and good but nothing stood up to what we put that van through it's life and had no problems outside of an alternator. 

Tyler

The 10 Speed will really wake up the 5.3 , very much needed.  Fords 5.0 became a different animal with the 10 speed but then again you can also get the ford with more gear like 3:55 or 3:73 

Either way a welcome move .  Will GM update the 5.3 for the new Full SIze SUV's coming out? That will maybe make it into Truck Refresh in 2021? 

• Like 1

How many miles do you have on the truck? I always laugh when people say it is the best they have ever had and they have low miles on it. So it is either your first vehicle or all the others have been horrid where that assumption can be made so quickly? Why not wait to say that when oh I dunno, you get rid of the truck/vehicle? It could have monumental problems or failures next year... See this many times with new buyers, a few thousand in to it and it is the best ever! My current truck is good, will wait another 5 years until I get rid of it to see if it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. In our family the best we ever had was a 1991 Astro van. The current vehicles are nicer and good but nothing stood up to what we put that van through it's life and had no problems outside of an alternator.   

Tyler

Did I say the best I've ever had? No. I said it's the best since my 08 TrailBlazer SS. Don't put words in people's mouths. This is my fifth new vehicle. I stand by my statement that it's the best transmission I've had since my TrailBlazer. The 6-speed in my 14 was trash. I HATED it. Made be want to drive it into a wall. The 8-speed in my Dad's 18 is better but still does weird shit all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, 15BlackAT said:

Has anyone driven one yet?

I have a CVT transmission on a 6.0L   No shifting at all

well technically it's a '5 speed automatic'

4 forward gears 

1 forward cvt gear

If i need power I just put it in M  she'll still get decent mileage though.

it's a very strong CVT that can handle lots of power they use the 2mode  in buses  

20190904_184306.jpg

Edited by bg1988

3 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Tyler

How could we possibly know how they are going to be in the future?

Naturally, we are talking about the here and now

And by cracky this is THE BEST TRUCK IVE EVER HAD LOL!

Maybe the 5.3/8 speed I drove wasn’t a good one but the 6.2/10 speed was so much better I would buy it just for the smoothness. 

I have seen a few 2020 5.3/10 speeds in dealer inventory in NC but none close enough to go for a test drive yet. 

7 hours ago, MacLaren said:

I am an LT owner too. And, from that standpoint, I just cannot believe I have what I have for $38,750!

My wife's 2011 Limited Highlander cost us $35,000 back in 2011. The sticker was almost $41k.  I can't speak to the higher trims like LTZ and High Country.  But, Chevy killed it with the LT model imo. 

Agreed. I think the LTs are will equipped in today standard LTZ and HC are a tad better but a lot more money.

• Like 1

I've owned both transmissions - had a 2016 with the 5.3/8 and now have a 2019 6.2/10.  Not one to trash another man's treasure here either, just my experiences with both (so far).

The 8 was very odd for me to say the least - clunky & hard shifting & at times would skip gears downshifting causing a hard forward lurch as if hit from behind by another truck.  That, to me, is driving sensation.  I decided to just not focus on it & only be concerned if it did anything other than what I described.  I knew people were discussing those issues/concerns online, in shops, etc. so I just put it at the back of my mind most of the time after researching a bit.  Only issue that required a visit to dealer for the 8 speed was another common issue some call fish biting (Google it or search here) - fluid flush by dealer fixed it & never had a problem with it again until it was traded in.  However, the odd driving sensations were still present after the flush - it may have gotten a tad bit smoother but still had its fits of lurching now & then.

10 speed has been a dream coming in at just under 3.5k miles as of today.  Smooth shifting, can barely feel it to be honest.  I picked the 6.2/10 combo because for the money I planned to spend, I didn't want the same driving sensations I had with the 8 and I was going to bet on the 10 based on some light research.  Simple as that.  Of course everything I say good about the 10 could change overnight should an ugly issue rear its head (knock on wood).

The 8 has probably been improved by GM in (maybe) hard to notice ways (like making the learning software or whatever better or easier to learn/pass learning levels for advanced learning).  Too many discussions/complaints early in the K2 for GM to not take another look at it.  I am of the opinion it's much better now than 5 years ago with more happy customers than those complaining.  It's fairly obvious to me & I'm not ever going to claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.  I did have a 2019 5.3/8 loaner & it drove fine, was much more quiet, less clunky but it did lurch a couple of times at very low speed - and had new sensation of no throttle response when shifting from R to D a time or two.  It was a noticeable improvement over my 2016 though.  I'm quite happy with my most recent choice though & happy to hear many 5.3/8 owners raving about their choices.  Never like reading about nightmares - feel for those guys.

Edited by Wheelguy
  • Like 2

I think it is safe to say nobody on here has driven the 5.3 with 10 speed.

With my 19 being in the shop 37 days I have driven probably 7 different 5.3 8 speed trucks. Quite a mixed bag. The one I drove home tonight with 1500 miles I thought drove significantly better than my trail boss with 5k miles. My TB has the bad 1-2 shift flare on the first shift of day, and I can feel a little bit of slip from 2nd to 3rd gear that I have not felt in any of the other trucks loaners I drove. I am probably going to lemon law my 19 and look at the 2020 TB with the 5.3 and 10 speed. I think it will make the truck perfect. But I am sure the 10 speed will have a few good trucks and a few bad ones too just like the 8 speed. Best to arrange for an overnight test drive and put a good 50 miles on it. If it doesn't shift perfect walk away and try another.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Have had the 6.2 in all transmissions. From my 2014 Sierra to with 6 speed -, then 2016 6.2 8 speed Denali and now my 19 Denali 6.2. The 10 speed is flawless. Is butter smooth and does actually make the truck quicker. Gas I would also say is 5-10% better. Now does it have a slight whine ? Yes. When reversing it also a slight whine. Gm says it’s normal. Other then that the 10 speed is badass. My only gripe is gearing and not giving us more options.  But I have zero complains about shifts or shutters etc.