5.3/10 speed

15BlackAT

Totally happy with my 2019 RST z71 with 5.3/8 speed. I just don’t get what a 10 speed would do any better. My 8speed is very smooth and the combination is plenty strong. Maybe I got lucky on GM fixed the reported problems before u received my truck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snuff said:

Totally happy with my 2019 RST z71 with 5.3/8 speed. I just don’t get what a 10 speed would do any better. My 8speed is very smooth and the combination is plenty strong. Maybe I got lucky on GM fixed the reported problems before u received my truck.

Same here no complains. 7k miles so far

• Like 1

I haven't seen any negatve commnets from the guys with the 6.2/10 speed, so I was interested when I saw that GM was pairing the 5.3 with it as well. I was able to drive an AT4 at my local dealer with the 5.3/10 speed. I was very impressed with the silky smoothness of the shifting, or the lack of noticable shift points. I liked the truck so much that I am trading my aging 08 Sierra, for this '20 AT4.

Edited by Wisco68

1 hour ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Yea you have a unicorn. 8-speed is trash

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've got another unicorn....beats my old 4 speed and 6 speeds.....and a lot more 5.3l pep in the lower gears.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Yea you have a unicorn. 8-speed is trash

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mine drives just fine. Put 7,000 mile on it so far without any issues.  Been both gentle on it and hard into the pedal without a hiccup. If rather have the ZF 8 speed than the GM transmission, but it isn't a bad gearbox. Just slower than the ZF. But it won't happen given we pride ourselves on American made and the ZF is a German gearbox.

Edited by Ion
Autocorrect fail
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Wisco68 said:

I haven't seen any negatve commnets from the guys with the 6.2/10 speed, so I was interested when I saw that GM was pairing the 5.3 with it as well. I was able to drive an AT4 at my local dealer with the 5.3/10 speed. I was very impressed with the silky smoothness of the shifting, or the lack of noticable shift points. I liked the truck so much that I am trading my aging 08 Sierra, for this '20 AT4.

Your dealer already as a 2020 AT4 with the 5.3 10spd combo on the lot?  Where is this?

Not what this thread is really about, but I’ve put maybe 500-600 miles or so between two different 2019 5.3 8 speeds. Both had under 1000 miles when I got them so they weren’t even out of learning mode. Limited experience of course, but...both shifted very well I thought, hardly worth the trashing they get constantly here.

That said, the 10 speed is clicks off shifts so quickly and smoothly, it’s almost undetectable. I don’t have any experience with it behind the 5.3 but with the 6.2 it is absolutely flawless. Again, not trashing the 8 speed, but the 10 is no doubt better.

There are already a few 2020 Trail Boss 5.3 / 10s at the dealer down the road. They are out there, and I would imagine the AT4s as well. If anything, those models are a priority for them with how well they have sold.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Not what this thread is really about, but I’ve put maybe 500-600 miles or so between two different 2019 5.3 8 speeds. Both had under 1000 miles when I got them so they weren’t even out of learning mode. Limited experience of course, but...both shifted very well I thought, hardly worth the trashing they get constantly here.

That said, the 10 speed is clicks off shifts so quickly and smoothly, it’s almost undetectable. I don’t have any experience with it behind the 5.3 but with the 6.2 it is absolutely flawless. Again, not trashing the 8 speed, but the 10 is no doubt better.

There are already a few 2020 Trail Boss 5.3 / 10s at the dealer down the road. They are out there, and I would imagine the AT4s as well. If anything, those models are a priority for them with how well they have sold.

Nicely put!

I was gonna mention in my post, that theres no doubt the 10 speed is magnificent. 

My 8 speed is good. Ive had a couple shudders from reverse to drive.  I can imagine the 10 speed is incredible. My Daughter has it in her car and its amazing transmission. It just seems to keep you in the right gear in the right time to keep it feeling like its always pulling. 

I do WISH they would have done as Ford and just made 10 speed standard across the board.  I dont know why they didn't. 

I do really enjoy my 19 a lot.  Has been a very solid and reliable and comfortable truck.  It just seems GM makes too many accounting decisions. I know they have to be make money but when your main competitor is doing something with transmission GM helped design and you know you 8 speed is not always been a good performer you would work on giving a little extra to help keep market share.  When you are comparing RAM, GM and Ford you start to look at things like Drive train especially when guy like myself are buying a LT and not a high country.  The high end trucks are looking at gadgets and gizmos and extra  cameras but we really are looking at functionality. 

I am a first time GM truck owner and so far so good. I will drive this truck and see how it goes after my RAM debacle I am happy to be in a truck I can drive and enjoy and not worry every time I turn it on what is next.  I hope in the coming years chevy builds on this style and makes them even better. 

• Like 2

I am an LT owner too. And, from that standpoint, I just cannot believe I have what I have for $38,750!

My wife's 2011 Limited Highlander cost us $35,000 back in 2011. The sticker was almost $41k.  I can't speak to the higher trims like LTZ and High Country.  But, Chevy killed it with the LT model imo. 

• Like 1