Adding cameras

mbsfgts

2 hours ago, Wisco68 said:

The mirrors with the cameras in them are a different mirror. Take a look at the higher trim level mirrors. On the bottom of the mirror, you will see a "ear". That "ear" is where the cameras are located.

The wiring in the door may very well have the coax cable like what @2K19Sierra shows in the last post. More than likely though you will have to purchase a new mirror and have the dealer reprogram the truck to recognize the new cameras. 

Are these the "ears" you are referring to?

IMG_20190906_123921.jpg

IMG_20190906_123915.jpg

Since you have the puddle lamps in the mirror already, looks like you might be able to just replace the lower housing part and not the whole mirror. This is my mirror with the camera for reference.

4D76BCD7-540B-4C0A-8D37-0B91E864F5B6.thumb.jpeg.db95ee4fb70612d7cc3298447fdeb5fd.jpeg

Either way you can probably expect about zero help from the dealer with this.

5 hours ago, Chris Callanan said:

Are these the "ears" you are referring to?

IMG_20190906_123921.jpg

IMG_20190906_123915.jpg

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Since you have the puddle lamps in the mirror already, looks like you might be able to just replace the lower housing part and not the whole mirror. This is my mirror with the camera for reference.

4D76BCD7-540B-4C0A-8D37-0B91E864F5B6.thumb.jpeg.db95ee4fb70612d7cc3298447fdeb5fd.jpeg

Either way you can probably expect about zero help from the dealer with this.

Yep. Those are the "ears". To OnTheReel's point you may only need to replace the bottom part of the mirror with the camera module.  

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, CMillSilverado said:

Did you ever get this to work, also do you have the PN for the receptacle?

unfortunately the dealer wasnt able to program it.  they even brought in some third party who apparently does a lot of GM's electronic stuff.  According to them, if the truck isnt built with the RPO code to support the additional cameras, it cant be added, even if the wiring is there, which i do find strange.  they say it requires a whole new radio since the video control module isnt there

not sure how much of this is true or not, but didnt want to spend too much more money on them looking around etc...  Might try and poke around a bit more myself, but doesnt look good.  apparently this is the case for all the cameras, other than the rear view mirror camera... Again, thats what dealer telling me.. who knows..

2 minutes ago, 2k19Sierra said:

unfortunately the dealer wasnt able to program it.  they even brought in some third party who apparently does a lot of GM's electronic stuff.  According to them, if the truck isnt built with the RPO code to support the additional cameras, it cant be added, even if the wiring is there, which i do find strange.  they say it requires a whole new radio since the video control module isnt there

not sure how much of this is true or not, but didnt want to spend too much more money on them looking around etc...  Might try and poke around a bit more myself, but doesnt look good.  apparently this is the case for all the cameras, other than the rear view mirror camera... Again, thats what dealer telling me.. who knows..

Bummer but thanks for the info!

• 3 months later...

Is there any new information on this I would specifically like to add a front camera and possibly the side mirror cameras? 

And if the dealer couldn’t reprogram could you just by new radio? Any ideas on how much this would cost

• 4 weeks later...

If you sit down a go to order a new GMC sierra SLT there is only 3 radios in the click box (GMC Website) bottom radio, middle and middle with Nav. We all have seen the how to add the Nav you tubes. They are just adding it to the middle grade radio. I am not sure but I need the front camera. I willing to bet once the camera is plugged into the back of the "VIDEO BOX" my words. I betting it completes the loop and will turn on. If it needs turned on with software at the dealer I would make it worth the 140 per hr. and make them turn every camera spot on. Even if you intend on having them or not. I no i keep on about this front camera but I need it. Even though I asked the dealership they pushed this truck and out of desperation I bought it. If I cant get a camera I am thinking of trading it in.