CB radio install

If the radio will fit, you can put it in the middle of the console with the faceplate facing upwards. Hearing the audio might be a bit of a challenge, but you can always use an external speaker or plug into your aux audio port.

How you route your power lines and antenna coax is up to you. A lot of people will say that there is too much noise introduction by plugging into the truck's 12V outlets, but I really haven't had any problem with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I put mine in the  center consolewith a toboggan cap in the bottom to keep the back from scratching the truck, and soften the bend in the Antenna cable. I also use a Lighter adapter for Power to make it temporary. I only install it for long trips and racing events (event coordinators to participants). magnetic antenna mount, run out the back door etc..

have you seen the mod where you can flip down the rear seats? mount it behind the cab and flip seat, you have to get in there anyways to push the cb coax thru to the roof, would be nice if you have a cb mic that can select the freq....

Edited by flyingfool

have you seen the mod where you can flip down the rear seats? mount it behind the cab and flip seat, you have to get in there anyways to push the cb coax thru to the roof, would be nice if you have a cb mic that can select the freq....
There's a lot of operator input needed for CB operation. Namely, squelch adjustment. I considered an out-of-sight install. It really isn't practical unless you're just installing a scanner.

I put mine in the  center consolewith a toboggan cap in the bottom to keep the back from scratching the truck, and soften the bend in the Antenna cable. I also use a Lighter adapter for Power to make it temporary. I only install it for long trips and racing events (event coordinators to participants). magnetic antenna mount, run out the back door etc..
The big cry about using 12V sockets to power the radio is introducing ignition noise into the radio.

If I use the socket in the center stack, it's noisy. If I use either of the two sockets in my jumpseat, no extra noise at all. So I just do that. It's easy and works.

For the antenna, a roof mounted one is as good as it gets. Behind the cab gives you SWR challenges and makes your radio very directional. The effective length is only the length that extends past the roof. I can't get past the idea of drilling a hole in the roof, so I too use a mag-mount. That way I can lay it down or throw it in the back seat and still drive under my carport.

I use a Tram 3500 antenna on my truck, it's about as tall as I will ever go. Plenty of range on it, I routinely can reach the towns adjacent to mine (10-15 miles).

The most important things are:
-Antenna length
-Antenna adjustment/tuning

Even a little basic radio can talk a good distance with a good antenna that's tuned right.

There's a lot of operator input needed for CB operation. Namely, squelch adjustment. I considered an out-of-sight install. It really isn't practical unless you're just installing a scanner.

Where did you end up putting yours

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The big cry about using 12V sockets to power the radio is introducing ignition noise into the radio.

If I use the socket in the center stack, it's noisy. If I use either of the two sockets in my jumpseat, no extra noise at all. So I just do that. It's easy and works.

For the antenna, a roof mounted one is as good as it gets. Behind the cab gives you SWR challenges and makes your radio very directional. The effective length is only the length that extends past the roof. I can't get past the idea of drilling a hole in the roof, so I too use a mag-mount. That way I can lay it down or throw it in the back seat and still drive under my carport.

I use a Tram 3500 antenna on my truck, it's about as tall as I will ever go. Plenty of range on it, I routinely can reach the towns adjacent to mine (10-15 miles).

The most important things are:
-Antenna length
-Antenna adjustment/tuning

Even a little basic radio can talk a good distance with a good antenna that's tuned right.

I plan to hardwire it once I find a good spot. I have been experimenting with a midland window mount antenna in my subaru and have gotten decent results even with it mounted low on the side window about 12 inches sticking above vehicle. I have found a local guy with an SWR meter for sale hoping to pick that up soon to tune the antenna. I currently have a uniden pro510xl for test purposes. I'll probably mount that permanently in the subaru and get something else for the silvy. Really mainly interested in location ideas.

Has anyone put one in the console itself. I typically dont adjust the squelch often enough that it would be a big deal to have to open the lid. Always wired them to key on power so no need to turn on and off. I'm concerned about volume though.

I would love pictures of anyone's current setup.

Ravenkeeper did exactly what you're thinking of doing.

Uniden makes a good radio. I started with the itty bitty PRO505XL, but got into the bigger 885 and 980. For a novice user, the small radios work just fine. Sorta gives you a way to get your feet wet and figure out what else you want in a radio without spending too much.

The window mount antennas work ok for traffic close by, but you'd really do better with a magnetic roof mount antenna. Even some little 2' ones I have worked pretty good, and even better once I had a radio with the ability to turn up the RF Gain. Like I said, these days I am easily getting 10-15 miles in town and some pretty long throws on open highway, with no amplifier using a Tram 3500.

I know it doesn't help you in your case, but I mounted my radio bracket to the ashtray/spare change door on the underside of my dash. I can still use the little door too.

My mic bracket I put on the bezel around the factory head unit. Felt like a natural spot to reach.

I soldered my power cable leads to a cigarette plug adapter with shrink tube over the junctions, and I plug that into the port underneath the armrest lid. I took up the excess slack in there, zip tied it neatly so it isn't in the way, and the cable runs along my transmission hump on driver's side. My coax runs along the passenger's side of the transmission hump, between the jump seat and passenger seat, under the floor mats, and up along the B pillar. Zip tied to the grab handle, and routed carefully out through the top of the driver side rear door to the roof. If you look in that area, there is a cavity that won't pinch the coax with anything but rubber weather seal.

Eventually I'll knock out a floor plug and go out that way, but this method is so easy and just works.

Edit: Green is my daytime display color, sorry I didn't flip to night mode. Red is easier for my eyes to see in the dark. Haven't driven tonight so it was still green.

The 880/885 and 980SSB radios have a plethora of display settings that allow you a good selection of color choices, contrast, and brightness. I highly recommend either of those 3 radios once you decide to move up. A little pricey, especially the 885, but really nice units.

90ff01d5f81c1d039105e8bd0f99dcc0.jpg