First Tow did not go good

Well the Dealer Service Dept. just called and the ECM has a problem in it its not communicating properly. They will have one by noon tomorrow and installed and programmed by the end of the day. I asked about the trailer and the tech said there is a relay on the trailer battery circuit and the engine must be running to charge the trailer. It is disconnected when the engine is off.   

Edited by d61mccarty

4 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Fairly common. While there is no real fix yet it it thought to be a random malfunction of the theft deterrent system. Good thing is after the truck sits for a while it will usually restart.

The bad thing is, a new Silverado has been bought back by GM because it randomly won't start.  Hopefully there is a fix soon. 

33 minutes ago, d61mccarty said:

Well the Dealer Service Dept. just called and the ECM has a problem in it its not communicating properly. They will have one by noon tomorrow and installed and programmed by the end of the day. I asked about the trailer and the tech said there is a relay on the trailer battery circuit and the engine must be running to charge the trailer. It is disconnected when the engine is off.   

I wont argue the ECM, but....

Truck hasn't been started for a week.

Screenshot_20190903-133231.png

20190903_132943.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will check mine when I get the truck back and if it shows hot when the engine is off I'll be pulling the trailer battery fuse #63 out of the truck fuse box. I plug the trailer in at the house and when camping remotely I use a generator. The trailer batteries will hold while travelling. 

On 9/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, truck_newbie said:

That's interesting. You started towing very close to the break-in mileage of 500 miles. I know 561 miles is technically broken-in but i wonder if this has something to do with it. 

I towed 9500lbs @ 700sh miles. Granted I only went 20miles with max speed 55mph. You will think it should've been fine. Sorry about your true man. Hopefully you get thing shorted out. 

7 hours ago, Moend said:

That is a horrible design. They should never be on unless the key is on. 

I think that's pretty common. My '09 was that way.

1) You might need 12v to the trailer and not want to run the engine 

2) You can always unplug the trailer when parked without 120v hookup (common practice for some)

35 minutes ago, OHDenali said:

2) You can always unplug the trailer when parked without 120v hookup (common practice for some)

yeah, I don't know too many people who leave the truck/trailer plugged together while camping. 

43 minutes ago, OHDenali said:

Interesting. I have to admit I never pulled a camper so I have no idea what is the common practice. But I keep skidsteer or dump trailer hooked up for days 2-3 days at a time

My 2018 HD had some similar issues first one was a loose ground that I found because the dealer couldn't get me in for a week, as all electronics including headlights would cut out at random even at night on the highway. Seems to be a safety issue, you would think they would be able to help a guy that spends $100k there every couple years a little better. 2nd issue my fuel pump would not shut off, even with fuses pulled, turned out to be the chassis control module. Maybe GM should put more modules and computers in these things? 

Wow really sorry to hear that, Tallahassee k you for posting about it, after my break in it makes me want to go try and pull a trailer around a bit to make sure everything is running smooth. Later on down the road I plan on buying a camper and taking trips cross country.

Sorry to hear about your first towing experience.  I towed for the first time the weekend before last, pulling my camper hovering around 7000lbs and it pulled like a dream, backing in and pulling out was so much smoother compared to what I had. The point is, once the dealer sort it out for you, these trucks are really good at towing.

33 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

According to the manual are you suppose to tow within the first 561 miles?

I thought there was some kind of break in period?

500 miles is the break in period for these trucks. i can site the manual if you would like? 

Personally i didn't tow until i hit 2000miles but GM says do it. 

OP, im sorry to hear about this. 

If the OP didn't unplug the trailer then wouldn't have the battery drained? 

Edited by BlancoSilverado
Addition