Purchase a new '19 AT4 or Denali?? Help Please

paulny

SO, I am getting ready to purchase either a new '19 AT4 or Denali.  They both have the 6.2, and are both loaded.  Denali has ultimate package and AT4 has technology, premium, and driver alert packages.  AT4 is $64,295 and I am OTD for $62,059.  Denali is $68,535 and I am OTD for $64,900.  NY tax sucks at 8.75%.  Anyway, is the Denali worth the extra $2850?  I prefer the looks of the AT4 a little more as it is satin steel metallic with no chrome vs white frost tricoat on the Denali plus chrome.  AT4 has the 2" lift vs Denali adaptive ride control, blah blah blah as I am sure you all know. Honestly, I really like both and yes this ultimately is my decision but any opinions as to pros/cons to this purchase is welcomed and appreciated.  

I really like my AT4. The tech package is amazing. The seats are also different from any other Sierra out there. I get a lot of compliments on them.

The other thing to consider is the height. Will that extra 2" of ride height make a difference with your garage at home or work or anything like that?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks @BringTheRain403 and @Snuff

The extra 2" of height won't matter at home or work.  However, you bring up a good point and I must ask you if you ever find parking garages or any other parking area an issue with the extra height?

I don't doubt that the 5.3 is plenty of motor.  Luckily, my gas is paid for so premium fuel isn't an issue.  But, I agree the 5.3 is sufficient. Respectfully, I prefer the extra oomph when needed and like a good friend once said, there is no replacement for displacement :)

Regarding the AT4 vs Denali, are you both in favor of the AT4?

Edited by paulny

I'll say this.

The 5.3 8 speed I have is anything but a mess lol

I dont know where in the hell that comes from to be honest.

The 5.3 8 speed is awesome. 

The 6.2 10 speed is awesome from what I understand. 

But, please dont discount the 8 speed because someone on the internet says it's a mess.

It's not. Its freakin superb. 

Mine is and everyone else I've talked with says the same. 

Edit* also consider the excellent gas mileage that the 5.3 gets too. *

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The multiple class action law suits are proof there's an issue with the 8-speed. Not to mention my dad has a truck with one in it and it's definitely weird when it's cold. It's very jerky at part throttle until things warm up. 5000 miles on the truck and it's done it since the beginning. It's better than the 6-speed but The 10-speed is on a different level.

Considering I own one. I definitely prefer the AT4 with the 6.2 and 10-speed. It's an incredible truck.2974d7fa5d1a69327a74c0cd6070ae88.jpg5df7b871ca180e5437e6667160ef429d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacLaren said:

I'll say this.

The 5.3 8 speed I have is anything but a mess lol

I dont know where in the hell that comes from to be honest.

The 5.3 8 speed is awesome. 

The 6.2 10 speed is awesome from what I understand. 

But, please dont discount the 8 speed because someone on the internet says it's a mess.

It's not. Its freakin superb. 

Mine is and everyone else I've talked with says the same. 

Edit* also consider the excellent gas mileage that the 5.3 gets too. *

The 8-speed has a shudder issue which is well documented. Heck, i even experienced this shudder issue on my CTS. That was one of my primary reasons for getting the 6.2 w/ 10-speed. It's good that you are satisfied with the 8-speed and have had no issues with it but please don't recommend it to someone especially if they can afford to get 10-speed and the 6.2 that's attached to it. If OP is well aware of the potential shudder issue, then by all means. My 2 cents. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, truck_newbie said:

The 8-speed has a shudder issue which is well documented. Heck, i even experienced this shudder issue on my CTS. That was one of my primary reasons for getting the 6.2 w/ 10-speed. It's good that you are satisfied with the 8-speed and have had no issues with it but please don't recommend it to someone especially if they can afford to get 10-speed and the 6.2 that's attached to it. If OP is well aware of the potential shudder issue, then by all means. My 2 cents. 

Thank you for the heads up and no I wasn't aware of the 8 speed shudder issue.  Honestly, the 6.2 with 10 speed is the only engine I was considering anyway.  But, I hope @maclaren has continued success with his 8 speed.  Man these trucks sure are nice.

9 minutes ago, paulny said:

Thank you for the heads up and no I wasn't aware of the 8 speed shudder issue.  Honestly, the 6.2 with 10 speed is the only engine I was considering anyway.  But, I hope @maclaren has continued success with his 8 speed.  Man these trucks sure are nice.

Yes, they are really nice. I get a lot of compliments and a lot of hate stares too, lol. The 6.2 with the 10 speed is very smooth. I test drove both engines and transmissions extensively before settling on the 6.2. It's more power than i'll ever need but i subscribe to the principle of better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.

I don't like chrome at all so personally, AT4 was the only option for me. The 2020s should be abundant on the lots soon and they have some nice subtle exterior improvements especially on the AT4. The price you are getting is honestly not very great imo so if you could wait for 2020s, you might be able to get the same price. 

6 minutes ago, truck_newbie said:

Yes, they are really nice. I get a lot of compliments and a lot of hate stares too, lol. The 6.2 with the 10 speed is very smooth. I test drove both engines and transmissions extensively before settling on the 6.2. It's more power than i'll ever need but i subscribe to the principle of better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.

I don't like chrome at all so personally, AT4 was the only option for me. The 2020s should be abundant on the lots soon and they have some nice subtle exterior improvements especially on the AT4. The price you are getting is honestly not very great imo so if you could wait for 2020s, you might be able to get the same price. 

Great advice and I agree the price isn't great.  I have contacted every GMC dealer within a 300 mile radius that has a 6.2 and is equipped the way I want (loaded with all options basically).  Tragically, the AT4 is rare in my neck of the woods (upstate NY) and especially when configured to my liking.  For whatever reason, the few dealers that I did contact that had a 6.2 were all around $6k off sticker and none would budge further.  They stated that the AT4 is in high demand and loaded with the 6.2 are very rare.  Thus, around $6k is the best I am seeing so far.  What improvements does the 2020's have?

17 minutes ago, paulny said:

Great advice and I agree the price isn't great.  I have contacted every GMC dealer within a 300 mile radius that has a 6.2 and is equipped the way I want (loaded with all options basically).  Tragically, the AT4 is rare in my neck of the woods (upstate NY) and especially when configured to my liking.  For whatever reason, the few dealers that I did contact that had a 6.2 were all around $6k off sticker and none would budge further.  They stated that the AT4 is in high demand and loaded with the 6.2 are very rare.  Thus, around $6k is the best I am seeing so far.  What improvements does the 2020's have?

It's true that the AT4s are in very high demand. I'm located in Texas and trucks in general are heavy sellers. I was in contact with 3 dealers when looking to buy. Similar to you, 2 of them were not willing to go below $6k off. I was eventually able to purchase from the 3rd dealer. My truck was also fully loaded, MSRP was close to $66k. I got a little over $11k off mostly because i waited till the last day of the month which is usually your best leverage. You should read through this thread to get a rough idea what people are paying. I think some people embellish a little but it gives you a rough idea. 

The improvements to the 2020s are better tuned suspension for improved ride, acc, diesel option and some exterior tweaks. I'm sure there is probably some other minor stuff. Plus, 2020 is no longer a first year model so you should hopefully be spared some QC issues. Check out the thread below. 

Edited by truck_newbie

If you don't mind taking a drive call Laura GMC near St. Louis. They have a ton of trucks in stock...

2020 is supposed to have improved suspension & will have camera based adaptive cruise control & supposedly more cameras. The 5.3 will get paired with the 10 speed transmission.  Not sure about prices on the 2020s but I’d expect them to be a little more money & less likely to come down on price.

For the price difference, the AT4 seems like the better buy but it won’t have Adaptive Ride Control & the lift/different tires result in a 1mpg less avg. rating on the highway. So after that, it’s down to looks. If you want chrome & the retractable assist steps, go for the Denali. If you want a lifted truck with more black trim, get the AT4.

I’m quite pleased with my Denali but I’m sure if my tastes leaned towards the blackout & lifted look with off-road tires that I’d be just as pleased with it. I’m a former owner of a 2016 with the 5.3 & 8 speed & the 10 speed is the transmission you want. The 8 speed was just weird when downshifting at lower gears & I had a missing out sensation that resulted in a fluid swap @ ~35k miles or so. Was the reason I went with the 6.2 this time. I think I read somewhere that the 8 speed can have "learning issues" on occasion & that’s mainly what causes all the odd sounds & shifting. The 5.3 was great on mileage & is a good engine but I was just over the 8 speed weirdness. Not everyone experiences the weirdness but I opted to stay away from it this time around.

There are a few bugs or mechanical issues yet to be fixed for 2019 but that should be expected with the first year of a new gen. Nothing too serious just mostly annoyances. Remember, much of the truck is almost like a computer & at times they need a reset so you may encounter oddities where you shut the truck off with weird things happening & start it a whole later & all is well. Mostly with the Infotainment & touchscreen climate controls. Don’t let that run you off though. PPF at least the painted bumper ASAP - can have terrible chipping from road rocks.

You should enjoy either truck immensely.

Edited by Wheelguy