2019 Sierra diminished value claim

Ryan M

3 hours ago, CbrownGT said:

Debatable. Not all accidents end up on carfax or vehicle history reports. For example my 27k in repairs including a full frame replacement (and all airbags deployed) isn’t on any history reports on my truck. If I were to trade it tomorrow a dealer wouldn’t even know, therefore I wouldn’t get any less. 

Exactly.

5 hours ago, CbrownGT said:

Debatable. Not all accidents end up on carfax or vehicle history reports. For example my 27k in repairs including a full frame replacement (and all airbags deployed) isn’t on any history reports on my truck. If I were to trade it tomorrow a dealer wouldn’t even know, therefore I wouldn’t get any less. 

That should show up. Feel free to send me the vin and I'll run an auto check which is more reliable than carfax. I'm guessing you checked it before insurance reported it to the dmv and it showed up on your vin. Any competent car buyer can tell what's been replaced on a vehicle. Unfortunately, not all sales managers know what they are doing so odds are in your favor. Just makes used car shopping much harder for the average joe.

Many years ago, I was rear ended and I brought up diminished value.. when that didn't pan out, I had a lot of tests done on my neck to be absolutely sure there weren't additional damages. I know that was petty, but to hell with them.

1 hour ago, TBHiker said:

That should show up. Feel free to send me the vin and I'll run an auto check which is more reliable than carfax. I'm guessing you checked it before insurance reported it to the dmv and it showed up on your vin. Any competent car buyer can tell what's been replaced on a vehicle. Unfortunately, not all sales managers know what they are doing so odds are in your favor. Just makes used car shopping much harder for the average joe.

I just had it looked up by a friend who works at a dealer cause I’m looking at buying new in the next year or so.  No trace of it wherever he looked. My Wreck was in February 2016. 60k trouble free miles since repair. 

been doing insurance for 17 years, the OP has a valid concern.

i hear DV is different in each state as each state is regulated by a different department of insurance.

year ago i had a 2008 corvette Z06 some ass hat backed over the hood of my car while waiting to make a right turn out of a sonic.

his insurance assumed full liability and pretended to not know what DV was.

after a detailed explanation we finally agreed to 4500 dollars.

the fact is the older the vehicle gets, the less someone cares about a clean carfax.

but if you really want to know what the value is your local dealer may be your best resource. just take it in and ask to buy a new truck giving yours up as a trade in. have the dealer notate the dirty car fax, and how much they are willing to offer you, verses an NADA trade in value.

there is your diminished value.

some additional advice, NEVER hire an attorney for a property damage claim. the department of insurance in your state id there to make sure insurance companies dont take advantage of consumers. all you have to do is call them and file a complaint. to a degree if they determine there was a bad faith claim they will fine the ins company tens of thousands of dollars for each occurrence.

usually the insurance company will pay up once you get DORA involved.

as for injury claims i still recommend you contact DORA firs to settle your disputes. attorneys collect usually about 33% of your settlement. this means you get less!

attorneys always accuse insurance companies of not paying your claim. they all use the fact that NO insurance company will settle with you until all your injuries are known and costs computed. this could take years in some cases before a settlement can be offered.

meanwhile your attorney will have you under contract that you cannot talk to insurance or anyone else about your case while they sit on their hands and wait for the settlement!/ you read that correctly, they do absolutely nothing on your case but sit and wait for the payout. yes they will try to negotiate more money on your behalf because its to their benefit. but they aren't going to get you the 33% more they charge back in your pocket!

this is why they call them "ambulance chasers"

I had almost the same thing happen to me several years ago. My new Sierra with 1700 miles on it. A guy pulled from a side street into the side of it as I was going down the road and ripped the side off my truck from the front door back resulting in over 17,000 in damage. My insurance company told me to file a claim with his insurance after the truck was repaired for 1/3 of the amount required to fix it. They did pay the claim without me having to hire a lawyer. State Farm told me that this was considered the norm for these cases.  

6 minutes ago, BS Cox said:

I had almost the same thing happen to me several years ago. My new Sierra with 1700 miles on it. A guy pulled from a side street into the side of it as I was going down the road and ripped the side off my truck from the front door back resulting in over 17,000 in damage. My insurance company told me to file a claim with his insurance after the truck was repaired for 1/3 of the amount required to fix it. They did pay the claim without me having to hire a lawyer. State Farm told me that this was considered the norm for these cases.  

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to determine how much the claim is worth. It can be tricky. At least I have something to go on now.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:17 AM, CbrownGT said:

On 9/2/2019 at 8:45 AM, Ryan M said:

If 19k in damages somehow slips through the cracks and doesnt end up on a VIN search I'd be ecstatic.

That's alarming. I nearly bought a "new" 2018 Sierra that had the entire right side replaced for $6k because "someone tapped it with their tailgate" while it was on the dealership's lot. I'm willing to bet if the repairs hadn't shown up on the carfax, they never would have bothered telling me about it. 

.02    Seems OP made the mistake early on. In a not-at-fault rear-ender there is not only property damage but possible physical injury. Even if injuries did not present themselves immediately and were not reported at the time the other party's (or your) insurance company will ask for a signoff on medical claims along with reimbursement for their assessment of property claims. Always sign for the property settlement SEPARATELY even if medical attention was not sought or administered. Explain that absent medical evaluation and testing you really have no assurance that an injury was not suffered that would present at a future date.......in most States you have an additional one year to file an accident related injury claim.

Explain to the adjuster that their failure to properly reimburse for the loss of value has you rethinking about seeking medical advice and exams with possible cat scans and MRI's to provide 100% assurance against future manifestations of presently undiagnosed injuries related to the accident. So - bottom line is  no signoff and the case will remain open on their books for a year with the company on the hook for reimbursement of medical fees and in jeopardy of litigation if any are found. He might rethink that a proper reimbursement now for loss of value might just persuade you to roll the dice on a possible injury claim and signoff immediately.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:17 AM, CbrownGT said:

Of course it's debatable...you are correct...mine never did!

Reliability of the database is only as good as who feeds and if they feed the info.

T-boned my new Trailblazer with 4K in damages, had it towed to a Chevy dealer with their own collision center, my cars bought with cash so my insurance company issues me a check directly to me, walk into the showroom with check in pocket and trade in their body shop with their estimate, and using KBB in excellent condition for the trade, turnover of the repair check, and balance for a new Avalanche it's taillights down the road........did the same thing with a years earlier damaged Cirrus...............and repaired wrecks never showed up on Carfax.