Dealer warranty work taking tooo long.

I took my truck in to the dealer on 8/12 because the shifter would not go completely into park without hitting it with your palm.  They instantly gave me a loaner, and called a couple days later to say the whole steering column had to be replaced and the vehicle could not be driven.  18 days later still no parts and no true ship or delivery dates.  The dealership has been very polite and communicated frequently, but i'd like to get my truck before hunting season.  Has anyone else had an issue with getting parts?

31 minutes ago, Tx_Bowtie said:

I took my truck in to the dealer on 8/12 because the shifter would not go completely into park without hitting it with your palm.  They instantly gave me a loaner, and called a couple days later to say the whole steering column had to be replaced and the vehicle could not be driven.  18 days later still no parts and no true ship or delivery dates.  The dealership has been very polite and communicated frequently, but i'd like to get my truck before hunting season.  Has anyone else had an issue with getting parts?

They gave you a loaner right?  If your truck is not fixed before hunting season and the loaner they gave you is not off road capable, e.g. a sedan or van and they won't switch it out for you, tell the dealer the busted oil or transmission pan and tow are on them, just make sure you have cell service or a sat phone with you on your hunting trip.

Yep, took my 2020 Sirrera Denali in for the 4th time yesterday, only has 1040 miles at this point, has a permanent Engine warning light that they also have no fix for, GM Tech. Assit. Center is "working on a repair", also hoping it is there 30 days as i need a truck I can use, have missed 2 trips with the 5th wheel trailer because of this. In the past week I have had a Chevy dealership and a GMC dealership refuse to even work on it. Had to take to selling dealership they said.

9 minutes ago, dc9joc said:

Yep, took my 2020 Sirrera Denali in for the 4th time yesterday, only has 1040 miles at this point, has a permanent Engine warning light that they also have no fix for, GM Tech. Assit. Center is "working on a repair", also hoping it is there 30 days as i need a truck I can use, have missed 2 trips with the 5th wheel trailer because of this. In the past week I have had a Chevy dealership and a GMC dealership refuse to even work on it. Had to take to selling dealership they said.

I have the same issue. I race motocross and NEED to have a truck. The dealer always jerks me around with the loaner so every time I drop the truck off I get screwed and cant race. GM is joke at this point. 

1 hour ago, Tx_Bowtie said:

They instantly gave me a loaner, but i'd like to get my truck before hunting season.  

Sounds like the loaner is going hunting. Don't worry about cleaning the blood off it.

• Like 1

I do agree they are totally clueless, I know so much more about their product than anyone I have had to talk to about it at GMC or Chevy, I told them I would be happy to fix it myself if they would provide me with a warranty after- of course they won't.

Supposedly Toyota Canada is having a similar issue. They recently moved a warehouse and changed their computer system, which is preventing them from finding and delivering parts to body shops. So it's not only a GM problem (though the cause could obviously be different).

54 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Supposedly Toyota Canada is having a similar issue. They recently moved a warehouse and changed their computer system, which is preventing them from finding and delivering parts to body shops. So it's not only a GM problem (though the cause could obviously be different).

that's the excuse i get also.

The real problem is that they switched steering column suppliers for this generation and the new ones have certainly had some issues. And no surprise the part is gonna be back-ordered when so many have failed.

Just wish they would divert some of them from the assembly plants to fix people’s current trucks rather than just cranking out the 2020s. Still love the truck and wouldn’t be pissed at all if they gave me a capable loaner. Don’t know what kind of crap box the dealer gave you, but I can’t do half of my job with the Malibu I have, and it’s getting beat to shit in the process. Oh well.

Not so much an issue getting parts, but more of an issue getting software/firmware problems addressed. Only going by what my dealer says, but their response is that GM is slow in responding to dealership inquires about software glitches.

I'm in the dealership dead zone over the infamous "Service Brake Assist" error message on startup. They've scanned and submitted the info to GM 3-4 weeks ago and continue to say that GM has responded with nothing.

I really miss the days when you did not have to escalate with GM corporate in order to get a repair done.

During my 31 days (combined) of warranty service I made it clear that they were putting me in something that would tow my boat. They ended up putting me in a Grand Cherokee (my dealer is also a Chrysler dealer) every time.

You may need to be a bit forceful - but you bought a vehicle for a purpose. I made it clear that I wasn't going to suffer because they and GM couldn't get their act together.

In the end it worked out for me because GM basically sold me a Grand Cherokee (as soon as the 2020 EcoDiesels hit the order books...). I didn't hand them my money to be jerked around.

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy

Typical first year issues.  That's what you get for buying brand new.  We saw this with the K2s, GMT-900s, and 800s.  Next time, don't buy the first year of a new model/redesign.  No matter what manufacturer you go with.  It happens to them all.