Is GMC ever going to upgrade the 5.3L?

bosro

10 hours ago, BobbyAlton said:

Put a 4.10 rear end in your truck with a 5.3L and you won't be underwhelmed anymore.  Sorry, but a 5.3L V8 with AFM and DFM that is capable of achieving 20-22mpg is AWESOME!!  

That's all you're getting? I'm easily pulling down 24-26 mpg highway, verified with hand calculated MPG numbers. The new trucks have way more repsonsiveness and off the line acceleration than a tuned 14-18 truck. Especially in sport mode.

10 hours ago, protovack said:

agreed, it isn't a speed demon, but then again its the question of expectations. 0-60 in under 7 seconds is actually pretty good for a full size pickup, actually incredible, in fact. Also, since you had a 2014, I wonder if the transmission tuning got better over the years. My 2016 is great, but I feel like there are more complaints about the 14-15 trucks. About the tow/haul mode, you are right, it isn't good for daily driving. 

The one complaint i have about my trucks power train is exactly as you describe--at highway speeds, if you want it to kick down and drop a gear to accelerate, there is often a long wait, several seconds even. I've found that if you press on the gas too quickly, it's worse. The transmission prefers that you slowly and smoothly engage the throttle. When you do that, it actually seems to respond quicker, paradoxically. 

Also, are you familiar with the gas pedal mounting bracket flex issue in K2 trucks? The bracket its attached to flexes, and gives the impression of poor throttle response but its really just a plastic part bending and blunting your throttle inputs. Many including myself have had very positive improvement in the responsiveness of the gas pedal after applying a fix like this:

That delayed throttle response was without a doubt due to GM tuning the trucks to meet CAFE fuel economy and emissions requirements. Valve timing was tuned to have minimal emissions while idling but made it gutless off the line. The delay when you would give it gas was to avoid a fuel economy destroying downshift when accelerating, because the EPA highway test requires that the vehicle does many speed changes (for example, accelerating moderately aggressively from 45 mph to 70 mph). GM tuned the trucks to hold gears as long as possible. With the boosted efficiency thanks to DFM and widely available 8-speed, they had more breathing room to make the tune more aggressive, as well as add a sport mode that gives the truck a very responsive throttle and a transmission that's more eager to down shift and stay in a lower gear instead of upshifting as soon as possible. There's a world of difference between the two generations of the trucks.

• Like 1

It does take premium gas though. I have friends with GLSs and X5s and even though they get better mpg than my 5.3, my fuel bill is still lower. 
Premium gas costs me an extra $4-$5 per week vs. regular gas at Costco. It's not the end of the world like some people make it out to be...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Moend said:

With my 5.3 I am getting 18mpg over the last 400 miles. Include some towing maximum capacity for about 30-40 miles. I won't dream to come close to 15 with my 08.

One thing to consider is despite the fact that the displacement hasn't changed the engine did, and from experience working in similar field usually improving a product pans better than coming up with replacement. Unless the thing you are trying to improve is a complete disaster (beating a dead horse)

Also,  calling it ancient or old is no different than calling rubber tires ancient technology. We all know tires are very much different from what they used to be years ago. 

Man, that's freakin sweet! 

Your getting 18 mpg over the last 400 miles that does include towing!

Yeah, this new 5.3 8 speed is VERY nice. 

7 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

That's all you're getting? I'm easily pulling down 24-26 mpg highway, verified with hand calculated MPG numbers. The new trucks have way more repsonsiveness and off the line acceleration than a tuned 14-18 truck. Especially in sport mode.

Yeah man, I'm really excited to go on a road trip now that I'm getting 22 around the house. 

I think 24 - 26 mpg is within reach.

And man, these engines are so very responsive. 

8 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

But of course getting stints at 24-26mpg, however I'm using the variables of my commute as the reference point.  Where I am, it is hilly along I-95, usually cruise control is set to 70mph.  I use the Truck's Driver Info Ctr, and basing this off of 10 mile runs, yields 20-22mpg.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, batman900 said:

Guess I'll chime in since this is my 3rd 5.3L haha, owned a 2015, 2018 and now 2019. I can throw 1000lbs of rock in the bed, hit cruise control and it won't down shift even on the steepest hill home from Lowe's while running the AC and fighting a head wind. It will pull a 4000lb horse trailer with 1000lb in the bed and not sneeze. 

It will smoke any of the tuned Civic Si's I've owned, matches my WRX's and beats any of these mainstream crossovers and all but the top end mainstream branded sedans all while getting 21mpg.

The 5.3L isn't the best V8 "that's the 6.2L" but IMO it's damn good.

Edit: It always makes my wonder what people are comparing the 5.3L to when they call it slow, trading has been a bad habit of mine for years and I've probably owned more new vehicles than 99% of people at age 34 and I've never considered the 5.3L slow.

Funny, I traded in my 2018 Civic Si when I purchased this truck. I think the OP who is knocking the 5.3L doesn't understand the relationship between the motor and transmission for starters.  Besides, as an abstract - I'd much rather have a tried and true 5.3 that has been improved upon over the last decade(s) to the point of perfection, vs a new concept.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Premium gas costs me an extra $4-$5 per week vs. regular gas at Costco. It's not the end of the world like some people make it out to be...

Depends on the area. We also have an Audi Q7 so I know all too well. Premium around here is usually at least $0.60 more per gal.  

I really like Exxon and Mobil One gas.

But, seems like Premium costs quite a bit more. 

Reckon theres much difference at all between Sam's Club or Wal Mart gas as compared to Exxon or Mobil One?

Also, the nearest Wal Mart or Sams Club is way outta the way for me.

So, that's why I always go to either my Exxon or Mobil One gas station. I also have access to BP, but it's a little further down the road. 

I reckon I'm also wandering if the Exxon Premium or Mobil One Premium gas is worth the extra loot. Considering it's a lot more than 30 cents per gallon - as compared to Regular ( I may be wrong about that however - I never really look at it )

Edited by MacLaren

I personally really like Costco gas. I can definitely tell a difference in the way my truck runs with it as opposed to Sunoco or sooner if there others. I don't have an Exxon or Mobile 1 near me to compare but Costco is to notch.

19 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

I personally really like Costco gas. I can definitely tell a difference in the way my truck runs with it as opposed to Sunoco or sooner if there others. I don't have an Exxon or Mobile 1 near me to compare but Costco is to notch.

Man, I wish there were a Costco near us.

Theres a Sam's club, but no Costco

And, I'm not just talkin about for the gas either.

Would really like to have a Costco in my area. 

40 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

I really like Exxon and Mobil One gas.

But, seems like Premium costs quite a bit more. 

Reckon theres much difference at all between Sam's Club or Wal Mart gas as compared to Exxon or Mobil One?

Also, the nearest Wal Mart or Sams Club is way outta the way for me.

So, that's why I always go to either my Exxon or Mobil One gas station. I also have access to BP, but it's a little further down the road. 

I reckon I'm also wandering if the Exxon Premium or Mobil One Premium gas is worth the extra loot. Considering it's a lot more than 30 cents per gallon - as compared to Regular ( I may be wrong about that however - I never really look at it )

Esso and Mobil here charge 20 cents per litre (80 cents per gallon) more for premium but it has no ethanol and has their full additive package in it. I haven't checked what Shell charges. Depending on who supplies Costco, it may or may not have ethanol and it will most likely have the bare minimum of detergents or whatever other additives the government mandates. 

The other problem with the 6.2 for me is the extra $7500 to go up from a trim level that has all the other features I want (RST or Elevation) to one in which you can get the 6.2 (LTZ or SLT).

• Thanks 1

Man, I wish there were a Costco near us.
Theres a Sam's club, but no Costco
And, I'm not just talkin about for the gas either.
Would really like to have a Costco in my area. 
LOL your pocket book is happy you don't. Trust me LOL

• Haha 1