Is GMC ever going to upgrade the 5.3L?

bosro

11 hours ago, Moend said:

5.3 + 8 speed haul a$$. And yes push rod engine is old but its better for low end torque and fuel economy. I had 2000, 2008 5.3 Silverados and both can't hold a candle to my 19. actually the engine and transmission are my favourite thing in this truck. You heard that right transmission. I know people complain about the clunkiness at low speed but about every other truck I been in did something similar so it's least of my worries. 

My favorite thing to do is roll my windows down and drive with 1/4 throttle the noise this push rod engine makes is just music to my ears. Love the throaty note. 

My friend 2.7 Ecoboost is either boost or eco. You really can't do both together. we live in the same neighborhood and drive to the same office while I get 19mpg and my truck make an awesome noise. He gets 17 and his truck sounds like sewing machine.

Call me crazy but the 5.3 sounds better than 6.2 but that is my opinion

Yes sir. Neither my 03 or 07 could hold a candle to my 19 either. World of difference. I love it. 

18 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

At least the GM-manufactured version is perfecto. Haven’t really seen anyone posting about a single issue/ complaint, and people love to complain...

Not quite perfect, but almost.  Check out the Camaro ZL1 forum.  A few of the early 2017 ones had incorrectly filled transmissions from the factory and it caused issues.  Wasn't a design flaw, just poor craftsmanship at the assembly facility.

FYI...

• Like 1

I have the 5.3 and when I drive it I say man I cant imagine how fast the 6.2 is because the 5.3 is incredible .  Has nice low end torque available early and seems to always be there when you need it.  Has great acceleration. The only update I would like is to get the 10 speed with it because the 8 has its issues.  I couldn't imagine how great it would be with the 10 speed.  I see nothing wrong with the 5.3 itself. The fuel economy is fantastic. My 19 RAM limited had the 5.7 no torque and it was a dog and only got 12MPG.  I think the push rod v8 chevy has is really something amazing.  

• Like 1

An internal combustion engine is a finite space in which to turn chemical energy into mechanical energy. How much mechanical energy you get from that space depends on only two things. The size of that space AND the efficiency in which that space converts the chemical potential to reality. In other words the motors displacement and it's thermal efficiency. 

The evolution of a motor of a fixed displacement lays along the line of improved efficiencies and/or mechanical integrity.

The OP's complaint is power and in days gone by more power could also, and could still, come from increased rpm. It's how we cam to two cam four valve motors but such motors sacrifice thermal efficiency for mechanical advantage so the push has been to improve efficiency which slowed things down and once again the pushrod motor is in its element. 

You could get 325 hp from 325 cubic inches at 7,200 rpm or the same power at 5,000 rpm and the difference would come from thermal efficiency. With that improvement in efficiency comes a quadratic improvement in mechanical integrity. 

Such has been the evolution of the SBC. Was also the course for the Buick 3800 V6. 

All the things people HATE about the way thermal efficiency was achieved is what converted a 200 hp gas hog dirty air motor of the early 60's into what it is today. What you have today is the RESULT of VVT and DGI and computer controlled fuel and spark mapping and the reliability comes from torque management and improved materials and geometries and a great deal on lower rpm. These power levels were achieved before 1965 from this displacement. but not at this level of mechanical integrity and thermal efficiency. 

And still the OP and many like him are unappreciative and they will continue to ignorantly whine until the SBC goes the way of the 3800. 

I don't understand dad!    :idiot:  Man, I just can't hit him hard enough! 

Since we're sorta on the subject,

How reliable are the 5.3 WITH AFM and the 6 speed transmission? 

I had the Vortec 5.3 in my 05 and that was solid, but wondering how reliable these EcoTech 5.3 with AFM are?

How about the 6 speeds? I hear as long as you service them at the required intervals, they last forever.

Would like to opionions from those with knowledge on this.

Thanks

I absolutely hated my 14 with a 5.3 & 6-speed. Worst transmission I've every had in a vehicle. It was clunky. It got confused. When you wanted to pass someone it never wanted to downshift. I personally thought it was a turd and I have the (marginally) better 3.42 gears. I can't even imagine was it would've been like with 3.23 gears. My Dad had a 2012 with a 5.3 & 6-speed and that truck had some balls and the transmission shifted properly. I'd stay way from the 14+ 6-speed transmissions. The mapping is horrible.

At least the GM-manufactured version is perfecto. Haven’t really seen anyone posting about a single issue/ complaint, and people love to complain...

There is also a class-action lawsuit being filed against Ford for that transmission and its issues...

The Ford version is shit. I had to drive a 19 F-150 on two separate occasions as a rental. Over a week each and the transmission mapping is TERRIBLE. The truck was damn quick but the transition got confused a lot and send like it don't know what gear it should be in.
I have a 19 with the 5.3, 8 speed auto, and Max Trailering package. My truck straight up hauls. No complaints here. I'm 38 and I've driven lots of things. My truck is plenty of power.

I would like to have more power, but thats because you never have enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

My Dad's 18 5.3 feels better than my 14. My 14 was an absolute dog and the 6-speed transmission was the worst shifting transmission I've ever had in a vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BringTheRain403 said:

I absolutely hated my 14 with a 5.3 & 6-speed. Worst transmission I've every had in a vehicle. It was clunky. It got confused. When you wanted to pass someone it never wanted to downshift. I personally thought it was a turd and I have the (marginally) better 3.42 gears. I can't even imagine was it would've been like with 3.23 gears. My Dad had a 2012 with a 5.3 & 6-speed and that truck had some balls and the transmission shifted properly. I'd stay way from the 14+ 6-speed transmissions. The mapping is horrible.

I have a 16 double cab with the 5.3 and 6 speed. Here's the thing, the transmission, when not in tow/haul mode, looks for the highest possible gear and doesn't like to down shift, but it will if you insist on it. 

There is also a manual mode if you care to use it, that nearly solves that problem, though is a bit inconvenient. 

In tow haul mode the transmission feels like a completely new one--it holds gears, down shifts immediately when asked, etc. Very nice for towing. 

I've found the 6 speed to be bulletproof and does exactly what I want it to, if you know how to drive it. 

If you just jump in it and expect it to operate like any sedan automatic transmission, yes, you're going to be disappointed. 

• Like 1

I agree it's a different machine when in tow/haul mode. I used to click it into that when I knew I was gonna pass someone. It's a pain in the ass. You can't drive with it in tow/haul all the time. The grade breaking is ultra aggressive in that mode and I found it ended up being a gear too low quite a bit too. I just didn't like it. It was the absolute worst part of that truck. Also, as I previously mentioned it was a complete dog. Probably the slowest vehicle I've ever owned. Not that it should be a race car but I owned some real beaters when I was younger...

On 8/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, bosro said:

Any rumors out there about either upgrading or replacing the 5.3L?

Its getting a bit long in the tooth....

Everytime Ive driven one Ive been completely underwhelmed,it would be my last choice of V8s out there to buy.

Ive had the 6.2L.....had alot of lifter/pushrod issues but liked the motor,except it needed premium,knocked badly without.

Maybe the newer 6.2L has better programming to allow using regular,but I do not want another truck that needs premium.

No interest in half ton diesel either....

Put a 4.10 rear end in your truck with a 5.3L and you won't be underwhelmed anymore.  Sorry, but a 5.3L V8 with AFM and DFM that is capable of achieving 20-22mpg is AWESOME!!  

That was my upgrade?  Ecotec3 Gen V L83....5.3L about as perfect as it gets!  Absolutely amazed at it's ability and predictability of power and efficiency.  No High Octane required...I am actually jealous of the guys with DOD.  Love the L83! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

I agree it's a different machine when in tow/haul mode. I used to click it into that when I knew I was gonna pass someone. It's a pain in the ass. You can't drive with it in tow/haul all the time. The grade breaking is ultra aggressive in that mode and I found it ended up being a gear too low quite a bit too. I just didn't like it. It was the absolute worst part of that truck. Also, as I previously mentioned it was a complete dog. Probably the slowest vehicle I've ever owned. Not that it should be a race car but I owned some real beaters when I was younger...

agreed, it isn't a speed demon, but then again its the question of expectations. 0-60 in under 7 seconds is actually pretty good for a full size pickup, actually incredible, in fact. Also, since you had a 2014, I wonder if the transmission tuning got better over the years. My 2016 is great, but I feel like there are more complaints about the 14-15 trucks. About the tow/haul mode, you are right, it isn't good for daily driving. 

The one complaint i have about my trucks power train is exactly as you describe--at highway speeds, if you want it to kick down and drop a gear to accelerate, there is often a long wait, several seconds even. I've found that if you press on the gas too quickly, it's worse. The transmission prefers that you slowly and smoothly engage the throttle. When you do that, it actually seems to respond quicker, paradoxically. 

Also, are you familiar with the gas pedal mounting bracket flex issue in K2 trucks? The bracket its attached to flexes, and gives the impression of poor throttle response but its really just a plastic part bending and blunting your throttle inputs. Many including myself have had very positive improvement in the responsiveness of the gas pedal after applying a fix like this:

agreed, it isn't a speed demon, but then again its the question of expectations. 0-60 in under 7 seconds is actually pretty good for a full size pickup, actually incredible, in fact. Also, since you had a 2014, I wonder if the transmission tuning got better over the years. My 2016 is great, but I feel like there are more complaints about the 14-15 trucks. About the tow/haul mode, you are right, it isn't good for daily driving. 
The one complaint i have about my trucks power train is exactly as you describe--at highway speeds, if you want it to kick down and drop a gear to accelerate, there is often a long wait, several seconds even. I've found that if you press on the gas too quickly, it's worse. The transmission prefers that you slowly and smoothly engage the throttle. When you do that, it actually seems to respond quicker, paradoxically. 
Also, are you familiar with the gas pedal mounting bracket flex issue in K2 trucks? The bracket its attached to flexes, and gives the impression of poor throttle response but its really just a plastic part bending and blunting your throttle inputs. Many including myself have had very positive improvement in the responsiveness of the gas pedal after applying a fix like this:

No I hadn't heard about that until recently. I don't have the truck anymore. I traded it in a 19 AT4 with a 6.2 and a 10-speed. No more acceleration issues lol

15 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

No I hadn't heard about that until recently. I don't have the truck anymore. I traded it in a 19 AT4 with a 6.2 and a 10-speed. No more acceleration issues lol

I hope they fixed the gas pedal bracket in '19!