Can I get more info on display?

New truck owner - 2019 GMC Sierra SLT

I'm a geek software engineer and data freak....   I keep wondering if there are ways to get more data on either of the screens in my dash. Things like "Which of the 17 modes is my DFM in?" or "Are the engine shudders open or closed?"

Any chance GMC would add that kind of info to one of the screens? Can we ask for it?

There could be an engineering mode. I tend to do that on some experimental software at work.  Another thing the obd2 port might be spitting this data out already but you need away to figure out how to decrypt it. I never worked with obd2 but worked with CAN protocol so if you find out the can wires I might be able to tie up to it and do some spying. I am more interested in other data like what gear you are in or data that is available on higher trims.

10 hours ago, Chris Callanan said:

Oh yeah, which gear am I in is a good one too....  seems like all of this would be super easy to add to an info screen....

This is one thing that is lacking compared to my 19 ram 1500. Had tons of dash info options including what gear the truck was in. I really wish the at4’s had more options. One thing i like seeing is my constant/avg fuel economy and fuel range on one screen. Would be nice if those 3 could be on the dash and speed be on the hud.  

there's always a way. if we can turn off dfm and autostop, there's almost certainly a way to read and pull the canbus data. just needs the right aftermarket company to know there's a desire for it.

I don't really want a 3rd party connection - I really want GM to stick it on one of the Info pages on the DIC....  the information is certainly there in the back end, just need it shown on a screen...

But I'm also pretty sure GM isn't going to add features to a post launch software update...  which is too bad really....

4 hours ago, Fuelie said:

I will give this a shot tomorrow or this weekend. I hope its not Java. Sorry guys