2019 Silverado Trail Boss LT - First Oil Change?

1 hour ago, MacLaren said:

Oh man. Mine had an E at the end of the number.  Think I'll stick with NAPA Gold after is done. I'm gonna change in 2500 more miles anyways. Hope it lasts that long. I damn sure dont wanna be a horror story.

But, then again Chevrolet recommends the AC Delco oil filter correct?

Just sayin, because if something were to happen, I think I would be covered based upon that?

Personally, within warranty, I use their filters and Dexos oil. Why give them an easy out if a lifter fails or something even more catastrophic happens. I know they probably couldn’t prove it was due to a different brand of filter, but that doesn’t mean you won’t get dicked around in the process. If their AC filter falls apart, it’s on them anyway.

In regards to the 2500 mile oil change cycle superstition, you’re wasting a hell of a lot of perfectly good clean oil and money. I can understand people’s logic in the early first oil change (even though I don’t buy it) but beyond that, it’s just a waste to not get at least 5k of hard miles out of a synthetic. This isn’t 1932. The oil is fine. Get an oil analysis done if you don’t believe me. They’ll probably tell you to check back in another 5k...?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Personally, within warranty, I use their filters and Dexos oil. Why give them an easy out if a lifter fails or something even more catastrophic happens. I know they probably couldn’t prove it was due to a different brand of filter, but that doesn’t mean you won’t get dicked around in the process. If their AC filter falls apart, it’s on them anyway.

In regards to the 2500 mile oil change cycle superstition, you’re wasting a hell of a lot of perfectly good clean oil and money. I can understand people’s logic in the early first oil change (even though I don’t buy it) but beyond that, it’s just a waste to not get at least 5k of hard miles out of a synthetic. This isn’t 1932. The oil is fine. Get an oil analysis done if you don’t believe me. They’ll probably tell you to check back in another 5k...?

Why hell yes. It's silly to do another in 2500 miles lol.

I'll just wait until 5k. 

Oh man. Mine had an E at the end of the number.  Think I'll stick with NAPA Gold after is done. I'm gonna change in 2500 more miles anyways. Hope it lasts that long. I damn sure dont wanna be a horror story.

Just sayin, because if something were to happen, I think I would be covered based upon that?

My mistake was thinking something else. I bought a case of PF63 version

Ryan B.

1 hour ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

My mistake was thinking something else. I bought a case of PF63 version

Ryan B.

Ya know what though, on the box, it plainly said Made In USA

I may be okay then?

Mine was PF63E

Edited by MacLaren

3 hours ago, MacLaren said:

Yeah, if it is a bad filter, you’re still under warranty, so GM has to fix it.

The e-core oil filters are manufactured with the filter element inside a little plastic cage, with glued on cardboard end caps. Less expensive to manufacture and supposedly easier to recycle them. 

With the e-cores being standard equipment on so many new GM vehicles, surely by now AC Delco has gotten its sh1t together on them. When they first came out, Car & Driver and Motor Trend both blew Corvette motors during testing, and there were stories of some other GM weekend warrior drag racing kabooms as well. 

For a couple dollars more, I’ll go with a Napa Gold or Wix, which are made the way that old good AC Delcos were made. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Yeah, if it is a bad filter, you’re still under warranty, so GM has to fix it.

The e-core oil filters are manufactured with the filter element inside a little plastic cage, with glued on cardboard end caps. Less expensive to manufacture and supposedly easier to recycle them. 

With the e-cores being standard equipment on so many new GM vehicles, surely by now AC Delco has gotten its sh1t together on them. When they first came out, Car & Driver and Motor Trend both blew Corvette motors during testing, and there were stories of some other GM weekend warrior drag racing kabooms as well. 

For a couple dollars more, I’ll go with a Napa Gold or Wix, which are made the way that old good AC Delcos were made. 

Thanx for the 411 Mav

I always used NAPA Gold filters before. 

Gonna go back to the NAPA Gold. 

1 hour ago, BobbyAlton said:

How did you find out, or research it?

Luckily Wix usually lists bypass pressure on their website. 

Here's the spec for Wix XP 10255XP from their website. Stick with the 10225 or 10255XP. Some parts stores have old stock Wix filters with a part number that's listed as working on a 2014+ GM truck but has a much lower bypass pressure.

wixxpfilter.thumb.jpg.f5b09a78e0e2c57469a776cfd854d1cb.jpg

Edited by HondaHawkGT
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Luckily Wix usually lists bypass pressure on their website. 

Here's the spec for Wix XP 10255XP from their website. Stick with the 10225 or 10255XP. Some parts stores have old stock Wix filters with a part number that's listed as working on a 2014+ GM truck but has a much lower bypass pressure.

wixxpfilter.thumb.jpg.f5b09a78e0e2c57469a776cfd854d1cb.jpg

Because i'm ignorant when it comes to this, how do you know if you have an older filter?

3 hours ago, BlancoSilverado said:

Because i'm ignorant when it comes to this, how do you know if you have an older filter?

The older Wix oil filter that served as a PF63 equivalent and was incorrectly listed for 2014+ GM trucks was the Wix 57045 and 57045XP. They only have a bypass pressure of around 12 PSI so you really don't want to use one. They work but not a great idea.

Since it will be in bypass more often, especially in cold weather.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

15 hours ago, Bob2C said:

NAPA filters look well constructed. Any issues with warranty if these are used? The ac Delco (pf61e) looks cheap and crappy IMO

The filters listed in a search on Napa's website shows they all have the correct bypass pressure. Should be GTG. They look just like a Wix XP filter inside.

7 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

The older Wix oil filter that served as a PF63 equivalent and was incorrectly listed for 2014+ GM trucks was the Wix 57045 and 57045XP. They only have a bypass pressure of around 12 PSI so you really don't want to use one. They work but not a great idea.

Since it will be in bypass more often, especially in cold weather.

Thanks,  

ok so even with a 22psi bypass, isn’t that too low. If the truck normally runs at 30-35psi (idle) and 50-70psi (above idle) then why is it able to bypass at 22psi?  Wouldn’t it be better to have it at least 30-35 psi bypass or even higher but under the max psi the the vehicle can reliably make?

4 hours ago, BlancoSilverado said:

Thanks,  

ok so even with a 22psi bypass, isn’t that too low. If the truck normally runs at 30-35psi (idle) and 50-70psi (above idle) then why is it able to bypass at 22psi?  Wouldn’t it be better to have it at least 30-35 psi bypass or even higher but under the max psi the the vehicle can reliably make?

Nope 22 PSI is the bypass pressure you want. It's not based on your oil pressure, just the pressure delta across the filter. It's mainly a concern when the engine oil is cold and causes a higher pressure differential across the filter element. 

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/article/2012-2017-corvette-service-bulletin-17-na-157-information-on-spin-on-oil-filter-replacement-for-gas-engines-designed-with-new-oil-pump-control-systems-1363.html

"Beginning in 2012, oil pumps began to regulate main gallery feedback instead of pump output pressure, which means that the oil pump does not begin to regulate until pressure is built up to the main gallery. This change reduces the amount of time it takes to provide oil to the engine bearing and lifters during extreme cold start conditions.

To meet these new engine operating requirements, the oil filter specifications of production oil filters and service oil filters have been improved. If a replacement oil filter with an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification of 15 PSI (100 kPa) or less is used, debris could circulate in the engine and cause damage to bearings and other tight tolerances areas, and eventually lead to premature engine failure."

When the 2014 trucks came out most auto parts stores were listing a lot of oil filters with the low bypass pressure as being compatible. Even just a year or two ago some places were still listing a Wix 57045 for my 2014.

Edited by HondaHawkGT
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:38 AM, Sin City Trail Boss said:

I've always done my oil changes at 6K.

I do oil & filter change, and rotate tires every 6K. I've done this for my last 6 vehicles and I've never ever had an issue in any of them.

On this Silverado I may do 5K instead of 6 because of the AFM.

I've always used Mobil 1 oil and filter, but may switch to Amsoil this time around since I hear nothing but good things about it.

In my OPINION, as long as you don't go over 6K between changes you should be fine and should have nothing to worry about.

This is just based on what my dad has told me and he's been a mechanic for close to 40 years. Many of those years working for GM.

If you are going to go with AMSOIL and save money by becoming a preferred customer.  Let me know.  You can send me a PM with your information and I can set you up.  You live in LV and there is an AMSOIL distribution center there and you can pick it up there and save freight and also get it same day.  Let me know and I will help you as much as I can.

• Like 1