2019 Silverado Trail Boss LT - First Oil Change?

5 hours ago, lord.kinbote said:

When did you guys do your first oil change in the 2019 Silverado 1500?  I have read some here posting at 500 miles?!  I have a little over 2k on mine so far and was curious as I see 7.5k or 10k as the recommended.  Thanks

With the complexity of modern engines, I personally wouldn't push oil changes out past 5-6k miles. These engines are gas direct injection engines, and GDI engines have a tendency to generate high levels of carbon soot formation. Some of that abrasive carbon makes it past the piston rings ends up in the engine oil, where it circulates throughout the engine oil circuits, including through the AFM/DFM system's oil control solenoids and lifters. Soot can combine with other sludges formed by the breakdown of engine oil, creating formations that restrict engine oil flow and pressure. The soot can also cause excessive wear if the engine oil film isn't thick enough (sheared down oil due to age, fuel-diluted oil causing a drop in viscosity). The oil filter isn't designed to capture these fine soot particles. Additives that act as a dispersant can help with carbon suspended in engine oil, but they aren't guaranteed protection. Every oil company swears their oil is the best at it, but like every other claim they make, there is no guarantee. 

In a simpler engine like the old 6.0L Vortec, you would be fine letting oil changes go a little longer. But those engines don't have complicated systems using engine oil to activate and deactivate lifters, vary oil pressure based on RPM and load, etc. Unless you're changing your engine oil more than once a month, there's zero sense in trying to squeeze an extra thousand miles out of your engine oil. Buy whatever is on sale and change it more often. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Make sure you're using a Wix oil filter with the right bypass pressure setting. At least one of the filters listed as being correct for the 2014+ GM V8's had an oil bypass pressure that was too low.

Had PF 63s for the '16 Silverado, but using the PF63Es (same as '18 Traverse) on the '19 Silverado. Seem the "E" environmental friendly version uses biodegradable plastic in place of metal as the screen, a much cheaper design, but the "E"s relief valve specs meet the multi pressure states of the latest gen oil pumps. WIX filter appears superior, but I'm not sticking in anything other than Delco while under warranty. And not leaving them in too long no matter what the OLM says, they may start biodegrading while on the engine.

Break in period is the hardest on your new engine. In all my new vehicles I do the first 1500 then at 3000 and from there every 4K miles. I use nothing but Amsoil, it’s the best protection you can buy, REAL 100% Synthetic not that misleading BS Full Synthetic. You can go much longer with Amsoil Signature Series than the 4K that I do it at but it’s my thing and I enjoy it along with Wix XP Oil Filters or Amsoil Oil Filters. I’ve actually heard that Wix makes the filters for Amsoil, maybe.

If you’re like some in these forums that squeeze as much as you can, well, I wish you luck, especially with the newer more complex newly redesigned engines. Remember, if it doesn’t say 100% on the Oil then it’s NOT 100% synthetic!

0d05c8ea48f34d1b340a3d3a8e2cc788.jpg

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for replies.  Did you guys switch to synthetic or remain with conventional?

DON’T YOU DARE EVER USE CONVENTIONAL OIL!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Had PF 63s for the '16 Silverado, but using the PF63Es (same as '18 Traverse) on the '19 Silverado. Seem the "E" environmental friendly version uses biodegradable plastic in place of metal as the screen, a much cheaper design, but the "E"s relief valve specs meet the multi pressure states of the latest gen oil pumps. WIX filter appears superior, but I'm not sticking in anything other than Delco while under warranty. And not leaving them in too long no matter what the OLM says, they may start biodegrading while on the engine.

Yeah I'm really not a fan of the "E-core" style PF63E. On my 2014 I eventually started using better oil filters but only if they specified an oil bypass pressure that matched the PF63E. If I remember correctly, Wix does offer an XP oil filter with the correct bypass pressure. It only became available in the last couple of years. I will probably switch to that filter eventually. I really don't rust E-cores.

2 hours ago, lord.kinbote said:

Thanks for replies.  Did you guys switch to synthetic or remain with conventional?

Unless GM fills the sumps with oil that they themselves don’t even recommend, the factory fill is full synthetic. That is the specification of Dexos Gen2 that is called for in your owner’s manual. Not going to find a conventional in 0w20 anyway. A handful of syn blends around in that weight, but absolutely no upside to using those, and no need to go too far off the reservation. The GM / AC Delco oil is good. Mobil 1 is good. Everyone has a favorite.

• Thanks 2

I've always done my oil changes at 6K.

I do oil & filter change, and rotate tires every 6K. I've done this for my last 6 vehicles and I've never ever had an issue in any of them.

On this Silverado I may do 5K instead of 6 because of the AFM.

I've always used Mobil 1 oil and filter, but may switch to Amsoil this time around since I hear nothing but good things about it.

In my OPINION, as long as you don't go over 6K between changes you should be fine and should have nothing to worry about.

This is just based on what my dad has told me and he's been a mechanic for close to 40 years. Many of those years working for GM.

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss
  • Like 1

I've always done my oil changes at 6K.

I do oil & filter change, and rotate tires every 6K. I've done this for my last 6 vehicles and I've never ever had an issue in any of them.

On this Silverado I may do 5K instead of 6 because of the AFM.

I've always used Mobil 1 oil and filter, but may switch to Amsoil this time around since I hear nothing but good things about it.

In my OPINION, as long as you don't go over 6K between changes you should be fine and should have nothing to worry about.

This is just based on what my dad has told me and he's been a mechanic for close to 40 years. Many of those years working for GM.

I used to use nothing but Mobil1 Annual until I fully researched over the counter oil. Pay close attention to how smoother your engine runs after switching to Amsoil 0W20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic, it was obvious to me, no internal engine noise at all and make sure get a great oil filter too, Wix XP is a great one, filters small as 20 microns.

Last I checked, Mobil1 Annual protection was just full synthetic and cost $9 per quart. Become a preferred customer and you’ll get the quarts for $10 each with free shipping, no brainer. Good luck, stock up and enjoy!

6 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I used to use nothing but Mobil1 Annual until I fully researched over the counter oil. Pay close attention to how smoother your engine runs after switching to Amsoil 0W20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic, it was obvious to me, no internal engine noise at all and make sure get a great oil filter too, Wix XP is a great one, filters small as 20 microns.

Last I checked, Mobil1 Annual protection was just full synthetic and cost $9 per quart. Become a preferred customer and you’ll get the quarts for $10 each with free shipping, no brainer. Good luck, stock up and enjoy!

I will take your recommendation Sir.

I will switch to Amsoil, and try the WIX WL10255XP.

I'm just debating whether I want to do the first oil change at the dealership or do it myself.

Only reason I want to have the first one with them, is to have proof that the first change was done in case of a warranty claim later.

What does GM require as far as proof for us folks who do our own oil changes in case of a warranty issue? Are receipts alone OK?

• Like 1

I will take your recommendation Sir.

I will switch to Amsoil, and try the WIX WL10255XP.

I'm just debating whether I want to do the first oil change at the dealership or do it myself.

Only reason I want to have the first one with them, is to have proof that the first change was done in case of a warranty claim later.

What does GM require as far as proof for us folks who do our own oil changes in case of a warranty issue? Are receipts alone OK?

Absolutely, I did all my free ones with them quickly and then started paying a shop to do mine but now I’m doing it myself, it’s easy cause I’m lifted too. You’ll be able to check out your truck too while you’re under there. I spray ACF50 everywhere and achieve fantastic results, warning: make sure to have rags. cardboard or towels underneath when spraying it cause it’ll drip a bit, stains your concrete.

5bae3dfcd4452ce13e041901ec61de95.jpg

Just keep your invoices that come in your orders and you’ll be good to go. Being a preferred customer $20 per year and you’ll have full records online too but I’d still keep packaged invoices.

Man, I was shocked to learn that this '19 will hold 8 quarts of oil!!
I think my 07 Classic take 5 &1/2 maybe 6?

My Camaro takes 10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1