negotiating a new 2019 ?

Right now GM is offering some pretty good discounts on their 2019 models.  I wanted to clarify something before arguing with the dealer - the GM search website shows a vehicle and then says $XXX "Price Below MSRP".   Is that discount from GM or out of the dealers pocket?  I want to be sure that I have a leg to stand on when I tell them I want a better offer.  It seems like the dealers are trying to say "look at this discount" but they are not giving any of their own dime toward it.

Any advise on how to get the best deal?

You offer 20% below sticker for starters and if he reacts well you might ask for some extras like splash guards, floor mats (z72 are great), steps, etc.

Are you a Costco member? I used the Costco program and got $1800 below real invoice plus $7500 in incentives/rebates. You should be able to buy any 2019 for 20% below Sticker. If not, go to another dealer.

40 minutes ago, TexasGMCZ71 said:

Right now GM is offering some pretty good discounts on their 2019 models.  I wanted to clarify something before arguing with the dealer - the GM search website shows a vehicle and then says $XXX "Price Below MSRP".   Is that discount from GM or out of the dealers pocket?  I want to be sure that I have a leg to stand on when I tell them I want a better offer.  It seems like the dealers are trying to say "look at this discount" but they are not giving any of their own dime toward it.

Any advise on how to get the best deal?

Be nice, do your research, and get pre financed so you know what your rate should be and how much you can finance.

Be realistic in what you are asking, they are a business that has to make some money to keep their doors open.

Find someone you like, ask questions about future incentives, ask to see the invoice, so you know how much you are truly saving, and see if they are will do a dealer trade for another truck if they do not have want you want on their lot. 

Good luck ,make it fun, not a PITA.

Ask for their best "Out The Door" price on the exact truck you want. That is the number you actually need to pay for. Don't even get into talking about monthly payments. The 20% off MSRP number is your target before you add in tax, title, fees, etc. Once you have the OTD number, then you can compare to other dealers and get your preferred/ nearest dealer to match the others. 

Each month the posted deals can change so it is impossible to know what you are getting until you cut through all the BS promotions. Use the internet as your tool to make sure the price is the best you can find. High volume dealers know exactly what they can sell the truck for, so if you come in lowballing, they may not care to dicker. They'll just sell it to the next guy tomorrow. 

Yeah, not sure of how you are buying the truck, but if it is financing... Do not argue over the payments. They can make payments look however you want... and they make a massive profit because "you didn't know."

Do what the guys above have said. 20% off plus taxes/plates/fees... then you worry about what your payment is on the time horizon that YOU want.

• Like 1

I plan to pay about 10k down with trade and pay the rest over 24 mos.  I was disappointed that the dealer didnt want to come down anymore.  They advertise about 7k off sticker but half that is GM incentives.  So they are just over 3k on "discounts below msrp"  that does not seem like much in a 60k truck.   And I'm not even sure that discount is out of their pocket or GMs.  

Apparently the 20pct off does not apply to LTZ models.  They also said they cant discount LTZs as much which seems dumb because that is nothing but markup on them.  

Oh well.  I guess I keep looking.  

1 hour ago, TexasGMCZ71 said:

I plan to pay about 10k down with trade and pay the rest over 24 mos.  I was disappointed that the dealer didnt want to come down anymore.  They advertise about 7k off sticker but half that is GM incentives.  So they are just over 3k on "discounts below msrp"  that does not seem like much in a 60k truck.   And I'm not even sure that discount is out of their pocket or GMs.  

Apparently the 20pct off does not apply to LTZ models.  They also said they cant discount LTZs as much which seems dumb because that is nothing but markup on them.  

You have already planted the seed. Only a few days till the end of the month. Last day of the month will be your best leverage. Since the 31st ends on a Saturday, i think last day of the month for them will be Monday the 2nd. You should try both Saturday and Monday. As others have already pointed out, only negotiate on truck price or OTD price and never get into any discussion with them about monthly payments.

One last thing, be prepared to walk away.  

2 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

You have already planted the seed. Only a few days till the end of the month. Last day of the month will be your best leverage. Since the 31st ends on a Saturday, i think last day of the month for them will be Monday the 2nd. You should try both Saturday and Monday. As others have already pointed out, only negotiate on truck price or OTD price and never get into any discussion with them about monthly payments.

One last thing, be prepared to walk away.  

I agree. Is there a discount on a 19 over a 20?

My RST MSRP was $53,500ish. I drove it off the lot at $42,500. Don't jump at a deal and don't be afraid to walk. I took a list of trucks I was looking at, at multiple dealerships. When they didn't want to deal anymore and told them I had more to look at then. They can come down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TexasGMCZ71 said:

Yep. The Chevy LTZ models aren't discounted much at all so far this year. I've been watching since April. It's the 2019  Chev LT's and the Double Cab's that are getting the deep discounts all year long. That could change next month, but it's always a gamble to wait.

On the GMC side of the parking lot, the SLT's with the Premium Plus package are getting the deep discounts right now. I've been talking with several dealers in my area that have the SLT with the X31 and Max Tow Packages. With GM incentives and dealer pricing, it's just over $13k off of 62k MSRP trucks and I think there's possibly another $2k in there to be had. If your not in a hurry, the LTZ's will eventually come down. If you're not bent on sticking with the Chev, the GMC's with the same gadgets and interior as the LTZ's can be had in the  GMC SLT for ALOT less right now.

I always find the best prices on Autotrader (dealers within 300 miles of my home) and start emailing the dealerships.  I tell them upfront I don't want to speak on the phone or go into the dealership until they tell me their best Out-The-Door price.  The dealers that comply will send an offer sheet.  I send the offer sheet to the local and tell them to beat it to earn my business.  I used to have to drive to Georgia to get the best price, but lately I can get the deals I want in NC.  Dealers bring the truck and paperwork to my house/office.  I only go to dealership for warranty/free service.  It helps to have excellent credit and to know what your trade-in is worth.  I usually end up emailing the sales manager because they make the deal anyway.  Salesman aren't able to help and they don't always respond to emails in a timely manner.  Always contact dealers at the end of the month and buying in the fall helps when the new year models hit the lots.  

8 hours ago, leverett.scott said:

My RST MSRP was $53,500ish. I drove it off the lot at $42,500. Don't jump at a deal and don't be afraid to walk. I took a list of trucks I was looking at, at multiple dealerships. When they didn't want to deal anymore and told them I had more to look at then. They can come down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Agreed. I would also suggest looking into added discounts for first responder/educator etc etc....they have various other added discounts that can be had. Also if you know any GM Employees you can try and snag a code from them to drop it down even more. My RST was sticker price 53,275 and got it for 40,500.  RST CREW w/ everything but leather/sunroof. 

Thanks all. I've got s GMC now and for the K2s preferred them over chevy.  I'm not that keen on these new ones except then AT4.  Dang that is good looking.  But no max trailering package there.  I know I can add a lift but that's not the problem.   Its the chrome. Soooooo much chrome on the SLTs now.  Looks like it belongs in a classic car show.  That's kinda dumb but I finally am at a point in life where I wanna get what I want, not settle for what's there.  

11 hours ago, Nascarnate326 said:

I agree. Is there a discount on a 19 over a 20?

I don't think 20s are on the lots yet for the 1500. You definitely won't be getting any discount on the 20s this year. If you can wait, the biggest discount you can get for the 19s is when the 20s are on the lot and the dealers are trying to get rid of the 19s. You are looking at Novemberish time frame. The disadvantage to waiting for clearance 19s is that you might not get the trim/color you want.