When did you start towing?

I'm curious as of at what mileage everyone start towing heavy stuff?  I have a travel trailer that is around 6000lbs, my '19 5.3 LTZ Z71 is at 1200 miles.  I've been pulling it with my old '08 F150 but it's on its last legs, so I'm wondering if it's ok to start pulling with the Silverado.  I glanced through the owner manual briefly and didn't see anything specific.  

13 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

2018 manual said no towing for the first 500 miles. I would assume the T1 is similar but there should be something in your manual about the break in period. 

I'm assuming it's the same for the wordings in the manual.

image.png.81d786b5260035d85c54920ef0f48cc0.png

But there's no specified break-in period.  We can only assume the break-in period is the first 500 miles according to the previous bullet points.

image.png.21843821edfaac9fb62f6a7f0455ad36.png

It seems like the general consensus is after 500-1000 miles I should be good to go.  So I will start pulling the camper with it next time. Thanks all for your feedback.

5 minutes ago, ChinkySuperman said:

I'm assuming it's the same for the wordings in the manual.

image.png.81d786b5260035d85c54920ef0f48cc0.png

But there's no specified break-in period.  We can only assume the break-in period is the first 500 miles according to the previous bullet points.

image.png.21843821edfaac9fb62f6a7f0455ad36.png

It seems like the general consensus is after 500-1000 miles I should be good to go.  So I will start pulling the camper with it next time. Thanks all for your feedback.

This wording appears to have been "softened" from the K2 manual that I downloaded. 

2 hours ago, ChinkySuperman said:

I'm curious as of at what mileage everyone start towing heavy stuff?  I have a travel trailer that is around 6000lbs, my '19 5.3 LTZ Z71 is at 1200 miles.  I've been pulling it with my old '08 F150 but it's on its last legs, so I'm wondering if it's ok to start pulling with the Silverado.  I glanced through the owner manual briefly and didn't see anything specific.  

When I saw this topic, I was going to respond 1971 and I still have that utility trailer.....       Anyway, I'm with the 500mi (800km)  group.  It makes sense to me to let things settle in or perhaps fall apart before adding stress to a new truck!

On p.276 of the GMC manual it says not to tow for the first 500 miles, and also that "it is recommended to perform the first oil change before heavy towing." My trailer definitely isn't heavy (a 6x12 enclosed trailer that might weigh 2500 lbs as I have it loaded), but I waited 500 miles as it says and also changed the oil before towing it anyway.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:55 AM, ChinkySuperman said:

I was worried like you about the break in period  but like what some folks here said. It is not as vital as 10-15 years ago. Process improved and it doesn't take much that is why I went 500 miles and not 5000miles like the sales guy recommended. I am not sure where he got that number from anyway. 

Edited by Moend
Typo

As long as you follow the manual you should be fine.  I picked up my one truck a week before a big camping trip it was funny I kept driving home the long way so my normal 45 minute drive was taking 2 1/2 hours lol.. Just to get enough on it ha ha.