2020 LT Trailboss 6.2 Availability

Hello all. New to the site here just doing some initial research in my early stages of looking for a new truck to see what common issues/concerns there are with the new trucks. I currently have a 2013 Tundra. only 84k on the odo so it's only getting broken in but I'd like a few more bells and whistles plus the truck is only a double cab and we have a 10 month old so I really need a crew cab to comfortably fit the car seat. As is our seats need to be too far up for it to fit. I would like to be able to fit a car seat in my truck so we don't have to take my wifes Highlander everywhere. Especially since we do a lot of traveling during the summer. A new Tundra is also naturally on the list but I do like the new GM trucks. The new Ram's are nice and I love the interior's however I just want no parts of current FCA reliability. Not a huge Ford fan and would only consider an F150 if it was a great deal.

My main question is whether or not anyone knows when the 6.2 will become available in the LT Trailboss. I see Chevy has the 2020 up on the build and price but doesn't list the 6.2 option for either Trailboss or RST models like Chevy indicated it would be available in for 2020. One dealer is telling me it's not going to be available, I'm hoping that is just misinformation and it's just going to be later availability. I'm actually looking at the LT Trailboss, Sierra AT4 as well as the Elevation Edition. All crew cabs. I know these are obviously all at 3 different price and option points. Obviously the Elevation doesn't have the 6.2 but I'm not opposed to a 5.3 truck now that the 10spd is paired with it. But I would prefer a 6.2 truck. Really deciding still how much I want to spend and will probably depend on what kind of deals the dealers are willing to give.

1 hour ago, jtav2002 said:

My main question is whether or not anyone knows when the 6.2 will become available in the LT Trailboss. I see Chevy has the 2020 up on the build and price but doesn't list the 6.2 option for either Trailboss or RST models like Chevy indicated it would be available in for 2020. One dealer is telling me it's not going to be available, I'm hoping that is just misinformation and it's just going to be later availability. 

First, welcome to the forum. We're all a bit biased here (some much more than others), but I think you'd be happier in a Trailboss LT vs. a Tundra or RAM. I'm pretty brand agnostic, but I do like my Silverado RST a lot. 

Second, no one knows when they are going to start offering the 6.2L in the RST and TB's. GM has not set a date yet, and - as you mentioned here - asking dealers has had mixed successes, with many of them simply telling customers what your dealer told you - "That's not happening". We know that it will, because GM did a PR on it. We just do not know when. 

I'm guessing late 2019. 

• Like 1

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you but I like the 5.3 so I'm looking at the Elevation (for the 10 speed), RST (lower MSRP than the Elevation, looks better to me and 18" wheels should give a slightly better ride) and Tundra SR5.

While the Tundra has worse fuel economy, lower payload and towing and safety features I find obnoxious, powertrain reliability should be similar to GM's, if not better, and overall reliability should be better due to fewer new and fancy interior features (which I don't much care for anyway). The MSRP of the Tundra is also about $10k lower, which will buy a lot of fuel. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I originally decided to save some cash and buy used. Ended up picking up a 2018 F-150 Lariat with 2.7EB. It was a nice truck but quickly regretted the black color and more importantly started finding lots of very poorly touched up areas on the paint that I was just not happy with for it being a year old truck. My Tundra only had a couple scratches here and there and that was 7 years old with almost 90k on the clock. Kicker was then finding out the F-150 had been a Canadian enterprise rental so it was definitely not driven lightly. Decided I just didn’t want the truck anymore. Long story short had my local GMC dealer trade another dealer for a new 2019 Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2. Took a hit on the Ford but love the truck and am in what I should have just bought in the first place. Lesson learned. Buy what you want and don’t settle on something else just to save some cash!

35 minutes ago, jtav2002 said:

So I originally decided to save some cash and buy used. Ended up picking up a 2018 F-150 Lariat with 2.7EB. It was a nice truck but quickly regretted the black color and more importantly started finding lots of very poorly touched up areas on the paint that I was just not happy with for it being a year old truck. My Tundra only had a couple scratches here and there and that was 7 years old with almost 90k on the clock. Kicker was then finding out the F-150 had been a Canadian enterprise rental so it was definitely not driven lightly. Decided I just didn’t want the truck anymore. Long story short had my local GMC dealer trade another dealer for a new 2019 Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2. Took a hit on the Ford but love the truck and am in what I should have just bought in the first place. Lesson learned. Buy what you want and don’t settle on something else just to save some cash!

Good lesson to learn. Patience is worth it, even when you're anxious for something new. 

Saw your truck in the New Truck thread. Looks great! I'm sure you're loving the 6.2L after that 2.7T. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Good lesson to learn. Patience is worth it, even when you're anxious for something new. 

Saw your truck in the New Truck thread. Looks great! I'm sure you're loving the 6.2L after that 2.7T. 

Thanks! Overall yes on the 6.2 versus 2.7. Especially sound wise. The 2.7 just didn’t do it sound wise. Although I will give them credit it was a little rocket and I was actually getting good fuel economy (20 overall combined 23.5-23.9 highway) despite some of the negatives i had heard about the fuel economy. 

I know the 6.2 will be a drop in economy but having had a Tundra prior I’m used to lower fuel economy anyway lol. I do wish GM put a bigger tank in the trucks. The Ford had a 36 gallon which was nice. But so far that’s the only thing I liked better about it so I’m okay with that. Can’t wait til I get some more miles on the 6.2 so I can see how it compares in the “butt dyno.”

And most importantly I think my almost 1 year old approves of the new wheels. 

D998E3C3-9B4A-4852-A985-5E6C17AC4E71.jpeg

Edited by jtav2002
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jtav2002 said:

Thanks! Overall yes on the 6.2 versus 2.7. Especially sound wise. The 2.7 just didn’t do it sound wise. Although I will give them credit it was a little rocket and I was actually getting good fuel economy (20 overall combined 23.5-23.9 highway) despite some of the negatives i had heard about the fuel economy. 

I know the 6.2 will be a drop in economy but having had a Tundra prior I’m used to lower fuel economy anyway lol. I do wish GM put a bigger tank in the trucks. The Ford had a 36 gallon which was nice. But so far that’s the only thing I liked better about it so I’m okay with that. Can’t wait til I get some more miles on the 6.2 so I can see how it compares in the “butt dyno.”

And most importantly I think my almost 1 year old approves of the new wheels. 

D998E3C3-9B4A-4852-A985-5E6C17AC4E71.jpeg

Of course he loves it! It's a big hunk of American muscle! ?? 

Every day that I leave for work, my 4yo stands in the garage and yells "TURN IT UP LOUD, Dad!" I only have the 5.3L, but modded the exhaust a little to have some more oomph. So I stand on the gas and rattle the exhaust for him. His smile makes buying a real V8 worth it every single time. 

Enjoy the new truck! You'll be surprised by your MPG, I bet. 

• Like 2