Fender flares, mud flaps, or both?

I've tried researching options but haven't come up with much.  I know there isn't going to be a complete fix but wanted to see what others are doing.  I have 305/55/20s that like to kick up rocks, and since they stick out past the fenders the like to throw them all over the body of the truck. Can't do anything about not going down gravel because our horses live down a gravel road.  I also am not looking to break the bank for a solution, but will spend a considerable amount.  My question is what are you guys going with?  Wider mud flaps, fender flares, or both? And what brand or style are you using? I honestly don't really care for the look of fender flares and don't really want to go with them but if it will cut down the rock chips then I will do that.

As always thanks for your input. 

I just recently bought those flares you see on every lifted truck, with the fake bolts. I don't generally like the look but my trucks wheels extend beyond the well because of the knuckle lift. There are a bunch of options, assuming you don't need that much coverage bushwacker makes flares that look more smooth and would look ok painted in my opinion. I like the look of mud flaps but I don't think they look as clean as flares.

Your wheel width will be the biggest factor here.

What about paint protection film (PPF)?  It goes on clear and most people wont even see it.  It will protect against rock chips a good amount.  I was quoted $450ish to do the lower sides of my crew cab 6'6" bed truck.

• Like 1

I think the fender flares look silly/ cheap.

I installed Husky brand Molded rear mud flaps to keep snow/slush out of the rear bumper and I was shocked at how good they work. If they can stop slush, they should stop gravel.

Mine aren't even oversized, as there are several larger/wider flaps you can buy. But I think black mudflaps blend in better, and since a lot of vehicles have them, they don't look weird when you see them.

Edited by aseibel

I just have Gator back flaps and am running 33x12.5's which are wider than yours. They do not stick out past the stock GMC flare with the stock GMC Snowflake wheel +25mm offset. You must have a negative offset, or a less aggressive positive offset. Some people love the looks of the tire sticking way out to the side, but then you run into the issue you are having. With GM paint being 1/64th of 1mm thick these days, anything will damage it if contact is often. Flares usually look kind of dumb, the low profile ones can look nice, but the ones with the fake bolt heads are hideous but they do hide the tires sticking 3"+ out of the wheel well. Mudflaps wont really help you as rocks will get stuck in the outer lugs and toss up on the body. Flares or more positive offset are your answer. Any pics of your set up? Here is what my 12.5's look like on stock rims, they do rub considerably FYI. 

IMG_0049.jpg

12 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

I just have Gator back flaps and am running 33x12.5's which are wider than yours. They do not stick out past the stock GMC flare with the stock GMC Snowflake wheel +25mm offset. You must have a negative offset, or a less aggressive positive offset. Some people love the looks of the tire sticking way out to the side, but then you run into the issue you are having. With GM paint being 1/64th of 1mm thick these days, anything will damage it if contact is often. Flares usually look kind of dumb, the low profile ones can look nice, but the ones with the fake bolt heads are hideous but they do hide the tires sticking 3"+ out of the wheel well. Mudflaps wont really help you as rocks will get stuck in the outer lugs and toss up on the body. Flares or more positive offset are your answer. Any pics of your set up? Here is what my 12.5's look like on stock rims, they do rub considerably FYI. 

Here are a couple pics, they aren't the greatest pics, but I also hate the look of tires sticking way out.  mine do stick out a little as you can see in the pics. 

sdfg.jpg

truck.jpg

Fender flares or both. Which is the lesser of the evils for you? Fender flares or your tires sticking out?

Mud flaps will protect down low, but won't stop anything being thrown forward or up. I don't think they will do much for the sides. And if you don't like the look of your tires sticking out, fender flares will take care of that too.

PPF is an interesting idea, but comes with its own caveats keep up.

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased my truck and it came with Bushwacker Smooth Extend-a-flares and 375-60-20 BFG KO2. See picture below. I personally don’t like the look of flares and would prefer the OEM fender trim (wheel opening molding). I would be open to a trade, if anyone is interested. 

C97BE489-DE94-449B-BCCF-2C563146837E.jpeg