Antenna Hitting Top of Garage Door Opening

Does anyone have the issue with their antenna hitting the top of their garage door opening when pulling in and pulling out? After many months or years pulling in and out, is there a concern this antenna mount might become damaged or need replacing? I have also seen a potential aftermarket antenna that is half the height but don't know if reception would be effected. 

20 minutes ago, Kee Yoker said:

Does anyone have the issue with their antenna hitting the top of their garage door opening when pulling in and pulling out? After many months or years pulling in and out, is there a concern this antenna mount might become damaged or need replacing? I have also seen a potential aftermarket antenna that is half the height but don't know if reception would be effected. 

Just a nuisance, it won't hurt anything. Most of us bought smaller antennas 

• Like 1

Are you hitting the frame or the door itself.  Mine was just touching the door by about 1/2 and I was able make the door travel a little farther up (installer adjusted it).  Note,  stock tires and suspension.

Edited by elcamino

You will lose some effectiveness regardless of what some say, FM radio uses line of sight, go shorter and range will be lost. Most won't notice (hence those saying they didn't lose anything) but if you use it regularly and travel outside of the area you will notice. I use satellite much of the time but use FM a good amount too for Texas country. 

As far as aesthetics, some place more emphasis on beauty (it is a truck not sure how that is possible) over usefulness, I am the other way. Either way mine has been hitting my door for 5 years now, no issues here. I am glad I don't a shorter one as one of the local stations I can barely pick up that goes out when I head to the east side of Dallas, I have a buddy with a shorty antenna and his doesn't get it (95.9 for those local to DFW) in my same area that I do.

I can't say for sure long term it won't bother anything. You can always just trim a couple inches if reception and durability is a concern. 

That 4 inch antenna looks silly, it looks like a nub, like someone broke off the stock one. No way it is anywhere near as receptive as stock in areas where reception is dwindling. 

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

I am glad I don't a shorter one as one of the local stations I can barely pick up that goes out when I head to the east side of Dallas, I have a buddy with a shorty antenna and his doesn't get it (95.9 for those local to DFW)

The Ranch has always had a poor signal. My 2007 LT with the big ole' whip antenna barely got it steadily. And I live in Grapevine.  

I had this problem on my last truck and chopped down the antenna a few inches.

On this one the truck itself will hit the door frame if I try, so I haven't bothered chopping the antenna. ?  I took it off completely though since I don't use radio lol.