Transfer Case Oil

I hope someone can set me straight as I just bought a 2015 Silverado 1500 Z71 and when checking the fluids I noticed the transfer case had gear oil in it.  with 150k I know it is due for a change but wanted some opinions on what to use I can see GM 88861950 is a transfer case oil but the manual calls for Dextron VI.  thanks for the guidance lost in Indiana.  

1 hour ago, JeffK said:

I hope someone can set me straight as I just bought a 2015 Silverado 1500 Z71 and when checking the fluids I noticed the transfer case had gear oil in it.  with 150k I know it is due for a change but wanted some opinions on what to use I can see GM 88861950 is a transfer case oil but the manual calls for Dextron VI.  thanks for the guidance lost in Indiana.  

transfer case fluid should be dexron vi. 

front diff and rear diff are gear oil. 

transfer case is going to behind the trans right before the shaft. 

54 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Thanks transfer case definitely has gear oil in it can smell it a mile away when I checked fluids.  I assume I can just drain and refill with the Dexron VI? 

If you're going that route, you'll need to do it a couple of times at least to make sure you flush the gear oil out, imo

• Like 3

22 hours ago, JeffK said:

I got a good deal mostly highway miles runs like new I have a 05 with 240+ on it.

I’ve never seen a car advertised as having mostly city miles. Just saying. I assume every car I buy has had the piss beat out of it by the last person to own it. I never upgrade to a vehicle with more than 36,000 miles or higher than 10,000 miles a year.

• 4 years later...
On 8/18/2019 at 5:47 PM, CombsL83 said:

I’ve never seen a car advertised as having mostly city miles. Just saying. I assume every car I buy has had the piss beat out of it by the last person to own it. I never upgrade to a vehicle with more than 36,000 miles or higher than 10,000 miles a year.

wow we are the 1/4 million mile club at my house. 10 trucks and the only one with under 200,000 is my 1986 square body. i have a 07 Tahoe with 283,000 and nothing more than regular maintenance on that.

I put allmosts 10,000 miles on in a year just going to work.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 3:47 PM, CombsL83 said:

You must have a hard time finding used vehicles to buy huh?