Silly Infotainment Question

Hi All,

I have a silly infotainment question. Is it possible to install apps on an IOR system? My truck came with absolutely nothing, zilch, and nada, except Apple Car Play and Android Auto. I know the Custom Value Package would have added the trial XM and OnStar subscriptions, but is that just a software update? Supposedly the hardware supports it, but I have searched the 'Net over and can't find any information. I figure I need to subscribe to whatever I add (already had XM with the Volt) so that's not an issue.

I need to call OnStar to remove the Volt from my connected services anyway, so I'll ask them about it, but just wondering if you kind folks had any info.

Thx!

Dave

Well, the truck didn't come with SiriusXM. I can get the factory module for $399+programming, but that seems a bit steep (https://www.adcmobile.com/product/factory-gm-siriusxm-satellite-radio-kit-ior/). However, I can stream using the phone app via CarPlay, so that's not a problem. I discovered that I need to make sure I have WiFi turned OFF on the phone, or it gets confused and won't stream, but other than that it works, even if it's a bit buggy/laggy. I understand ios 13 is supposed to bring some CarPlay enhancements.

Ah, first-world problems. ?  

Only had the truck for one day, but overall I must say I really like it. 

I have an LT Z71, but I would've needed the convenience package 2, to have gotten SiriusXM. Personally, I think that was really crappy out of GM, to take away Sirius from any Silverado.

At any rate, I just stream XM thru my phone.

I, like you already have an XM subscription, so I just stream away. I also have the wifi for $20 bucks a month too. That way my wife and daughter can play on their iPads on a long drive.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

The sucky thing is if you don’t get Custom Value Package, you don’t even get the sharkfin on the roof for the XM (and presumably LTE) antennas so you have to use the crummy little aftermarket one. 

I’d probably just stick to streaming SXM. It’s arguably much better anyway, with the ability to backtrack, skip and repeat songs. The only place it would fall short is in areas of limited cell service.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

The sucky thing is if you don’t get Custom Value Package, you don’t even get the sharkfin on the roof for the XM (and presumably LTE) antennas so you have to use the crummy little aftermarket one. 

I’d probably just stick to streaming SXM. It’s arguably much better anyway, with the ability to backtrack, skip and repeat songs. The only place it would fall short is in areas of limited cell service.

Yes! I almost forgot about the ability to backtrack, skip and forward that streaming allows. 

I sometimes wander about maybe going with a VAIS, but streaming really is hard to beat.

Especially when your looking at $400+ to buy and install VAIS.

16 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

You have a lot of good info OnTheReel!

So, just a quick question.

My truck has the shark fin, so that being said, if I did go with a VAIS, I would have no need for their outside antenna?

14 minutes ago, swing4terps said:

Does anyone know what adding SXM to vehicles with IOR that already have the sharkfin entails?

From what I understand is you buy the VAIS yourself and have someone install it.

I reckon they are other manufacturers other than VAIS. Although, I've not heard of any. 

I had talked to Pro Sound about maybe doing one. But, I'm just gonna stream for the above reasons in this thread. 

Also, to more fully answer your question, the VAIS just goes behind your infotainment screen or whatever, point is you wont see it, itll just be like it came with XM

At least that's what VAIS and Pro Sound told me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

You have a lot of good info OnTheReel!

So, just a quick question.

My truck has the shark fin, so that being said, if I did go with a VAIS, I would have no need for their outside antenna?

Sorry, not really sure about that but it is interesting. If you could use that antenna, I think adding the tuner would be worthwhile for the right person who wants to stay off cellular.

Otherwise I probably couldn’t get over the crummy aftermarket antenna they give you. With most of those you have to put it somewhere in view of the sky (and thus in view of yourself) otherwise the service will be choppy. Couple that with the app having more features anyway, and it’s probably a waste.

• Thanks 1

Ok, just got off the phone with VAIS.

And, unfortunately, the shark fin antenna will not work with VAIS. Its for factory XM only.

However, they are strongly considering making an adapter that will work with the shark fin antenna. But, its untelling when it will be available. He said they would have to re-tool.

So, if getting a VAIS, you will have to use the lame antenna with cord to make it work.

I urged him to go ahead and re-tool :)

• Thanks 1

Agree on all points above. If it’s as simple as changing a relatively cheap module to then be plug and play, I may consider. From my experience so far, existing wiring was in place for some other upgraded features. Otherwise, streaming will work just fine. 

Edited by swing4terps
  • Like 1