GM Rear Sliding Window Recall

Call NHTS@ 888.327.4236.  The MORE PEOPLE that call and complain about this issue the better chance we have for reimbursement. I just called  after my rear glass shattered while I was driving.  It was remote started that day. Ask they did was take my vin, and gave me a reference number.  It's going to be investigated.  Please call.

I made an account just to come on here and post this.  When I call to schedule an appointment for the brake vacuum pump recall  in my '15 Sierra Denali (scheduled for tomorrow, 2/11/2020) the service guy said there's also an open recall on the rear defrost, even though I can't find anything else about it online for US vehicles.  He said they need to check the resistance on the window first to see if the whole thing needs to be replaced or not.  I live in MN (2nd owner) and the truck was originally sold here as well.  I will say, nearly every time we are using the truck our 2 young kids are in the back (1 rear facing still) so it's a little concerning.

i have a 2015 sliverado 1500. while driving down the road with my family in the truck and  about 30* outside we began to smell something burning. moments later i hear an explosion to the rear of my head, where my son is sitting. turns out the back 1/3 of the three part rear glass shattered. Given my history with vehicles i made sure to purchase the extra insurance through Car Max just in case something did go wrong. after all they are pre-owned vehicles. Car Max then informs me that glass damage is not part of their care plan and that i should call my insurance company for repairs. my insurance tells me to call Safe Light who informs me that it would need to be brought in for the rear glass replacement but could not fit me in for another 3-4 weeks and referred me to a local glass repair shop here in town. after doing a little more digging into the issue i saw this thread and decided it would be a good idea to call GM themselves about this issue. i spoke with a rep for nearly an hour and was giving a "case #" and told that i would get a call from one of their "claim advisers" with in the next three days. They where every curious as to whom all i have called and spoken to about this issue and wanted to know where the truck was currently at. not sure if its just me and the way i think or if gm is trying to keep a wrap on this to avoid potential lawsuits.

to Curt from Canada  HDMechanic

I need you to clarify that your rear window exploded AFTER the recall repair was done to your rear window?  I just had mine "repaired" with some mickey mouse buss cover at the dealership.  Didn't look right to me either and I could not get my dealership to divulge exactly what they were doing.

So please confirm this for me so that I understand you correctly.  If that is the case, I am going to pull my fuse again for the rear window defrost and leave it out permanently.  I'm in Alberta too.

Edited by BMaxx

3 hours ago, BMaxx said:

to Curt from Canada  HDMechanic

I need you to clarify that your rear window exploded AFTER the recall repair was done to your rear window?  I just had mine "repaired" with some mickey mouse buss cover at the dealership.  Didn't look right to me either and I could not get my dealership to divulge exactly what they were doing.

So please confirm this for me so that I understand you correctly.  If that is the case, I am going to pull my fuse again for the rear window defrost and leave it out permanently.  I'm in Alberta too.

Yes that is correct, they pulled the fuse on my first visit and then a week or two later I went back to have the repair that gm issued done, I never checked the work they did inside my truck but the paperwork said something about buss bar cover. Even the service manager was surprised it happened and didn’t give any explanation, they replaced the window and that was that. 

Curt

I take it then that you have permanently pulled your rear window defogger fuse.

Note that the heated mirrors and the rear window are on the same circuit BUT are controlled by different fuses through a relay.  Mirrors use a 10 amp fuse, rear window uses a 30 amp fuse.

I can tell you and all readers on this forum that I am permanently pulling the 30 amp rear window fuse now.  I've had many trucks in the past without rear window defrost and I can easily live without it.

I also think that the real reason GM hasn't included this recall in the US is because:

1. They have no idea how to fix the issue or are too cheap to fix it properly.

2. They are "experimenting" with a band-aid fix in Canada first because doing the same in the US would cost 10 times more.

Clearly their mickey mouse fix does not work based on your evidence.  Hope US readers will pick up on this (no pun intended).

Edited by BMaxx

47 minutes ago, BMaxx said:

Curt

I take it then that you have permanently pulled your rear window defogger fuse.

Note that the heated mirrors and the rear window are on the same circuit BUT are controlled by different fuses through a relay.  Mirrors use a 10 amp fuse, rear window uses a 30 amp fuse.

I can tell you and all readers on this forum that I am permanently pulling the 30 amp rear window fuse now.  I've had many trucks in the past without rear window defrost and I can easily live without it.

I also think that the real reason GM hasn't included this recall in the US is because:

1. They have no idea how to fix the issue or are too cheap to fix it properly.

2. They are "experimenting" with a band-aid fix in Canada first because doing the same in the US would cost 10 times more.

Clearly their mickey mouse fix does not work based on your evidence.  Hope US readers will pick up on this (no pun intended).

You guys.

There has been a recall on the US since January.

I got notification from onstar.

Mine is scheduled for Feb 24.

GM RECALL CENTER

If a recall has been issued for your GM vehicle, including Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, HUMMER or SAAB, find it here.

The following recalls and programs have been found for your 2018 Chevrolet Silverado LD Crew

• VIN: 3GCUKREC7JG512354
  • Results last updated: Feb 15, 2020

Recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below.

Other Programs for Your Vehicle
  • GM Program #:
  • N192265660
  • Date Issued:
  • Jan 07, 2020

Program Title:

Rear Window Defroster Thermal Events - US Only - Exp. 1/31/2022

Program Description:

Certain 2014-2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a power sliding rear window (RPO A48) may have areas of high electrical resistance on the rear defroster circuit. This could be caused, in part, by mechanical stress from opening and closing the rear power window, intrusion of debris, and use of the rear defroster. Over time, this condition could generate heat that could melt the areas surrounding the circuit. In rare instances, this heat could cause a non-propagating fire, increasing the risk of property damage or injury.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the buss bar covers and contact cover. If the rear window or sliding glass assembly appears damaged due to an occurrence of high electrical resistance on the rear defroster circuit, they should also be replaced.

Program Status: INCOMPLETE

FAQs

Results found

My vehicle has a recall, and the status reads: "INCOMPLETE." What do I do next?

My vehicle has a recall, and the status reads: "INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE." What do I do next?

I have not received a recall letter in the mail. Can I still have my vehicle repaired?

I have had my vehicle repaired by a Certified Service Dealer or a SAAB Official Service Center, but the recall is still listed here. Why?

How can I get more information on the Takata Airbag Recall?

What now?

It is recommended that you contact your preferred Certified Service Dealer or SAAB Official Service Center and discuss your concerns with a member of the management team, as they will ultimately be responsible for completing the recall repairs for your vehicle.

For more information on the Takata Airbag Recall, you can go to www.GMTakataAirbag.com or call 1-866-467-9700.

If your concerns are still unresolved after contacting your preferred Certified Service Dealer or SAAB Official Service Center, please call 1-800-630-2438; TTY: 1-800-833-2438 recall assistance on Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. EST.

Search for recalls on another VIN.

Enter your VIN Search

GM works diligently to communicate recall and program information to affected customers. The GM Owner Center will provide this information as soon as it is available.

Need Service?

Create an Account

leftNav

Screenshot_20200215-130513.png

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1

I have a 2016 Crew Cab in the U.S. that has the sliding rear window and I have not received any recall notification. I have also been keeping an eye in the my.Chevrolet.com site and it currently says no recall. Until I get notified of the recall, my 30amp fuse will remain pulled.

Created an account just to say this happened to my 2015 Chevy Silverado Double Cab this morning. I remote started my truck, walked out put my bag in the backseat, got in the front, closed the door and was getting ready to start the truck when I heard a pop and then heard glass shattering. Turned around and there is a giant hole in the right rear glass panel.

I called my dealer and they said they hadn't heard of this and there were no recalls. I called GM and they said no recalls and to take it to dealer so they can diagnose it and go from there. It's currently at the dealer and they will be looking at it this afternoon.

20200217_064033.jpg

• Sad 1

Hi All

Here is some information for those who have had their rear windows blow out.  (Either after the recall fix or for those who did not get a recall notice).  This is an answer i got back from Transport Canada and it gives options to owners from US and Canada.  Owners should not roll over for this defect.  (Curt HD Mechanic and Magusbob - this should interest you).

FYI

===============================================================

Thank you for your email message that you sent to Transport Canada's Defect Investigations and Recalls Division. 

Defects and Recalls / Défauts et rappels <[email protected]>

If you have experienced a failure after a recall has been performed, we would like to hear from you to document this concern. Similarly, if another owner has experienced a subsequent failure after recall work has been performed, we would invite them to contact Transport Canada to speak with a Defect Investigator so that we can obtain further information and properly document the issue.

To contact Transport Canada, we would recommend either calling us at the 1-800 number listed below, or log a complaint via our online form at the link listed below:

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng.

We would refer owners from the USA to contact our American counterparts, The NHTSA, and log a complaint with them.

With any complaint that is received, a review would be performed and Transport Canada would look for similar allegations amongst the complaints – both in Canada and in the USA.

At the present time, Transport Canada is not aware of a specific trend of failures on these vehicles after the recall was performed.

We appreciate your interest in Motor Vehicle Safety.  If you have additional questions, please call our toll-free hot line, 1-800-333-0510, Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Daylight Time, as applicable.

Sincerely,

Defects and Recalls |  Défauts et Rappels

Transport Canada | Transports Canada

Motor Vehicle Safety | Sécurité des véhicules automobiles

80 rue Noël street, Gatineau, Québec, J8Z 0A1

Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

1-800-333-0510

Edited by BMaxx

2014 Silverado 1500 w/ automatic sliding glass window in back

This happened to me tonight.    I dropped my son off at hockey, in front of the building.   I went inside to pay for something, then restated the truck and was driving out of the lot.  

Before I got out of the lot there was a thick smoke from the driver side, rear, window.   It smelled like gunpowder, and when I stopped the truck to look I could see flames and/or sparks inside the window.    Then it stopped, and a second later there was a huge pop and the window shattered (safety glass style).   It's still intact but cracked into little pieces. 

When I first saw the smoke, I figured it was something in the bed of the truck.....but there is nothing in there.   I guessed it was the defroster (it's 34 degrees outside) which automatically turns on, and googled to wind up here. 

I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow, and would like to file a complaint with the Feds (in the USA) and anyone else that can do something.    

Anyone know how to get Chevy to pay for this?   

It’s really terrible to see more and more people having this issue with there trucks. I’m glad I was able to get mine repaired so quickly and without any hassle from the dealer or gm. I think having a good service department really helps and having someone there that can back you up instead of trying to make other excuses is a serious plus. I think that’s where I may have lucked out in my situation, my service writer and service manager were instantly on my side from the minute they saw what had happened, especially coming from just having the recall done. I think going forward to be on the safe side I am going keep my defrost fuse pulled and would recommend to anyone else as well. 
Even with the freezing temps and snow we get up here I rarely ever have issues with a iced up rear window anyways. 

Good luck to everyone with this problem!