GM Rear Sliding Window Recall

GM recalls 160,000 pickup trucks in Canada for fire risks, nothing announced in US yet
As of right now there is a recall for all GM 1500's years 2014-2018 that have both a rear window defogger and a power sliding rear window
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gm-recall-pickup-trucks-canada-fire-risks/

That recall has not been expanded to the US.

I Just got off the phone with GM and filed a request to have the recall expanded to the US. I would encourage everyone who this applies to in this forum to do the same. It takes about 5-10 min but could save us all a lot of hassle later. 

HAVE YOUR VIN READY

Call GM @1 (866) 522-9559

Reference this recall number:

Manufacturer Recall Number

N192220470
(This is the recall number from GM in Canada)

(reference: 

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=0&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2019325&cf=SearchResult&pg=50)

They will tell you that the recall only applies in Canada and not to your VIN. 

Express to them that the recall needs to be expanded to the US since our vehicles are also affected. 

Please post here if you have called GM (just so we can keep track) 
Please also post if you have experienced this issue (smoke, glass breakage, etc) 

Affected components: electrical – rear window defroster on trucks equipped with the power sliding rear window.

Affected vehicles:

• 2014-2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
  • 2015-2019 Chevrolet Silverado HD
  • 2014-2018 Chevrolet Silverado LD
  • 2014-2018 GMC Sierra 1500
  • 2015-2019 GMC Sierra HD
  • 2014-2018 GMC Sierra LD

It may be a good idea to sticky this topic. 

Edited by Alec DiAstra

Done. My concerns regarding my rear window and the reality of heat causing exploding rear windows (much less an actual fire) is now logged with my VIN#  with GM. Hopefully it will never be an issue for me. But, it has been for several forum members.

• Like 1

Agreed. I hope you never have the issue just as much as I hope I don't.  It seems that the recall was done in Canada first for 2 reasons. Canada is generally colder overall so it makes sense that the rear defrosters are being used and possibly working harder (for longer periods of time) but I live in the mountains of Colorado. It gets cold here too. Secondly is that Canada has much stricter consumer protection laws than we do. 

If enough people call, they WILL expand the recall. Your reference number (for the call) is your "I told you so" which can lead to a lawsuit. The last thing GM wants is some baby getting fried in the back seat because their blanket happen to be touching the back window when the defroster was used. Risk of fire is a HUGE issue. I really hope more people make the call. 

Edited by Alec DiAstra

1 hour ago, Alec DiAstra said:

Agreed. I hope you never have the issue just as much as I hope I don't.  It seems that the recall was done in Canada first for 2 reasons. Canada is generally colder overall so it makes sense that the rear defrosters are being used and possibly working harder (for longer periods of time) but I live in the mountains of Colorado. It gets cold here too. Secondly is that Canada has much stricter consumer protection laws than we do. 

If enough people call, they WILL expand the recall. Your reference number (for the call) is your "I told you so" which can lead to a lawsuit. The last thing GM wants is some baby getting fried in the back seat because their blanket happen to be touching the back window when the defroster was used. Risk of fire is a HUGE issue. I really hope more people make the call. 

Hey Alec:. Not so sure on your claim that Canada has tougher or stricter consumer protection laws than the USA.  In fact,. there is no such thing as a “ Lemon Law “ here any where in the country to the best of my knowledge.   Our government is all about protecting big corporations and granting tax cuts, not about helping some poor SOB whose car burned to the ground a day after there warranty expired and the manufacturer denied there claim.  I hope GM gets this figured out as winter is fast approaching and I own one of the affected vehicles.

1 hour ago, Alec DiAstra said:

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, Alec DiAstra said:

In that case you can go to the dealership but right now they are just pulling the defogger fuse. 

That is such a crappy remedy, when I turn on the rear defroster my mirrors also defrost. That's a feature that is important to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doropallo said:

That is such a crappy remedy, when I turn on the rear defroster my mirrors also defrost. That's a feature that is important to me.

The mirrors will still defrost and the window still slides just won’t defrost with the fuse pulled. 

2 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

I'm waiting to see them offer replacement solid back windows lol.  Like the heated washer fluid delete they did years ago that will be the gm thing to do.

I actually hope they do.  That's one feature on the truck that I personally have no use for and would be happier if it wasn't there in the first place.  Sunroof is the other one, but the truck I found on a lot has that too!

BTW, I did have a truck with the heated washer recall.  I actually loved that feature and never had that recall done until I was ready to sell the truck.

2 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

I'm waiting to see them offer replacement solid back windows lol.  Like the heated washer fluid delete they did years ago that will be the gm thing to do.

I had an 07 Silverado LTZ with the heated washer fluid. I can't remember if they sent a check for $100 to reimburse you for the inconvenience or not.

I'm not even sure if there was a recall on those but If you took it in to the dealer for anything , they just disabled it .

Sad if they can't figure out how to fix these exploding windows.

I'm glad I park in the garage. I don't think I've ever used my rear defroster. I don't think I've had the back window open more than a couple times.

• Like 1

Rear defrost is virtually useless... I have mirrors and could not care less about the back window. Every truck I have had for the last 10 or 15 years has rear defrost and I never turn it on.   I do like my slider and if the fix is a solid pane I am just killing the defrost and never getting the recall lol.  

• Like 3

Rear defrost is virtually useless... I have mirrors and could not care less about the back window. Every truck I have had for the last 10 or 15 years has rear defrost and I never turn it on.   I do like my slider and if the fix is a solid pane I am just killing the defrost and never getting the recall lol.  

Last couple trucks I’ve had rear defrost comes on automatically with remote start. No big deal, I like my mirrors cleared before I get in.

The problem is, If it was snowy and I have any accumulation in the bed, it blows up, hits the warm window, melts, then the defrost eventually turns off and I’m left with ice all over my rear window which would have been clear had it not been for the defrost coming on with the heated mirrors.

Take mine away, get rid of the lines on the window and give me solid glass. Save me a few bills at the same time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I have a 2018 Silverado LTZ and last night leaving my sisters house my wife heard a hissing sound from the rear seat area. I stopped and listened, turned off the vehicle. Noise stopped. Restarted and noise resumed. Turned around in a driveway and hissing sound changed to a crackling noise smelled burning. Got back to my sisters driveway and looked around the back seat area to see where it was coming from. Started seeing smoke and turned vehicle off again. Shortly after that the right rear window panel shattered. I've never used this system but looked at my vehicle settings and found that it comes on automatically when vehicle is started. I went to my dealership this morning (Saturday) and they said to bring it back on Monday to get the service manager involved. I called GM this morning at the number above and registered my complaint and have a case number. Like many others that have posted here I have no use for rear window defroster but would like to get my rear window replaced. 

Hello, I am in Canada & own a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 & received the recall letter.  Also got the letter from GM for the fix.  The fix was a new wiring harness leading up to the sliding rear window defogger.  Dealership told me my rear defogger is fried & does not work & cannot be fixed.  The dealership has to order & install a whole new sliding glass back window with rear defogger.  Have to wait for window to come in & then re-book with the dealership window installer.  Might not be for several weeks (i.e in Jan. 2020 at the earliest).  Not a happy customer but at least there was no fire in the truck. Good luck guys!

Edited by RJV