Beware installing a lift or bigger tires on your T1 !

On 8/9/2019 at 7:54 AM, Rob41 said:

Initially my dealer said they could only reprogram to the largest size offered on my model T1 which I think is the 275/50R22, could be wrong on that though.

Once at the appointment, they said they couldn't even do that because GM wouldn't release the code to do it.

My dealer did the same exact thing. I was originally going to get the trail boss lift and he said it came with a reprogram for the bigger tires. Then when I asked about doing the reprogram without the lift the dealer emailed me and said that GM has no recalibration at this time. I gotta believe that’s crap since they’ll sell you bigger tires if you buy it from them. 

I don't lift my truck or care about the lift lifestyle but I have several local dealers shoveling new ones out door with 35's and 6" to 9" lifts. They must be doing something to satisfy the speedo.
I agree. Every dealership around my part has them lifted with 35's, so they have some way of getting it done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, I should’ve listened to you all about it being impossible for the dealer to reflash the speedo to match bigger tires.

I had factory 20” RST wheels with 275/60/20 tires (factory size) installed by the dealer a couple weeks ago and was told I’d didn’t need a speedo calibration because the tires were the same overall size as my factory 18” inch. I doubted that. It said “okay” and decided to do my own tests. Afterwards I found about a 4.4% speedo discrepancy so I went back to the dealer today.

I asked if they could the reflash because of the speedo different I was having and said they would. After 8 hours at the dealer I got the call back and was told the truck is ready.

Got to the dealer and saw the bill, $99 for a service call to GM to tell the tech that they do not support any tire size change whatsoever. As $99 is the dealers standard charge for “diagnostic”, I basically flushed that money down the toilet with nothing to show for it. I’m pissed off beyond words.

So, for those of you lucky enough to have the dealer tell you that they can’t do it and not charge you for that advice, consider yourselves blessed.

If this is indicative of how GM and their dealers do business, this may be my last GM product after a lifetime of driving only GM vehicles. My Dad retired in 2008 after 42 years with GM and I’ve stayed loyal even after. But as he told me, GM is not the same as they used to be and that o shouldn’t feel obligated to purchase GM products. Man now I’m kind of wishing I went for the Ram instead :(

8F6A7DD2-0CC7-497B-901D-AC2E6B73A676.jpeg

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

While I feel your pain, $100 is a cheap lesson IMO.

:)

True. But what I actually did was pay $99 to train a couple Techs on what can’t be done with the product. I probably could have paid another $99 to find out if I could have a hover conversion done or not. ?

• Haha 1

What is supported and what is available is always a grey scale.
In other news lifted trucks sold brand new down the street from me.
If I was a lift truck guy I would.look into it. But i will guaranty 100% there is a way.

Just to keep up with my hobby i was think about picking up a brand new lifted big tire k2 I think they call it. And adding a supercharger.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The whole reason why I spent the extra money and went to the dealer was to have these wheels dealer installed. While I suppose the benefit is that they will warranty the work, what I really wanted was their ability to recalibrate the speedo. 

Though now, I could have saved hundreds of dollars by going to my local Belle Tire or Discount Tire and ended with the same result.

I kind of chuckle when people believe the Magnasun-Moss act gives them any real protection. Your only real repercussion is to take them to court and spend thousands fighting their layers of lawyers and endless dollars. At the end of the day its the professional opinion of those that designed and built the truck and your local opinion based mechanic (if you chose to fight them). They are going to win in 99% of the instances and you are out thousands...

This^^ is exactly why companies like BDS offer (or at least used to offer) legal services to fight against the manufacturer in Magnasun cases. They were tired of seeing denied warranty claims and people getting rolled in court.

I kind of chuckle when people believe the Magnasun-Moss act gives them any real protection. Your only real repercussion is to take them to court and spend thousands fighting their layers of lawyers and endless dollars. At the end of the day its the professional opinion of those that designed and built the truck and your local opinion based mechanic (if you chose to fight them). They are going to win in 99% of the instances and you are out thousands...

This^^ is exactly why companies like BDS offer (or at least used to offer) legal services to fight against the manufacturer in Magnasun cases. They were tired of seeing denied warranty claims and people getting rolled in court.
This is incorrect. There are many times the manufacturers folded even before court. There are many ways to handle a issue. You speak of one.
I may sound like a jerk when I say this but many times it is the customer that handles it wrong or expects the wrong thing. It isn't as clear as every issue,claim, or warranty is black and white.
Unfortunately these post are adding to people jumping to conclusions on what is and what isn't.

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

This is incorrect. There are many times the manufacturers folded even before court. There are many ways to handle a issue. You speak of one.
I may sound like a jerk when I say this but many times it is the customer that handles it wrong or expects the wrong thing. It isn't as clear as every issue,claim, or warranty is black and white.
Unfortunately these post are adding to people jumping to conclusions on what is and what isn't.

It may be incorrect according to your experience but it isnt according to mine...I've personally never had a denied coverage but I've known plenty that have due to extensive involvement in the auto racing community. In each instance a M-M claim was involved it never made it to court because the lawyers advice was that it was cheaper/easier to pay to fix the car themselves than to try to fight them in a legal battle. In many states there arent even any provisions to recover attorneys fees for M-M and the average resolution time is a year to a year and a half....Even if you win, you probably end up losing.

I've literally never seen or even heard of a manufacturer fold prior to court...

Edited by Chris walker

It may be incorrect according to your experience but it isnt according to mine...I've personally never had a denied coverage but I've known plenty that have due to extensive involvement in the auto racing community. In each instance a M-M claim was involved it never made it to court because the lawyers advice was that it was cheaper/easier to pay to fix the car themselves than to try to fight them in a legal battle. In many states there arent even any provisions to recover attorneys fees for M-M and the average resolution time is a year to a year and a half....Even if you win, you probably end up losing.

I've literally never seen or even heard of a manufacturer fold prior to court...

I have and there are some major I call it famous ones at that. YouTube guy was given a check for 20k and told to keep the truck also. But he knew what he was doing with how he reported and made claim.
I here where you are going and as said I am sure there are a million stories both ways.

• Like 1