Beat up silverado wts not aging well

I have already started seeing some beat up silverados around, either lack of care or minor collisions.  

Something about the body panels makes these trucks look cheap and flimsy,  I dont know what it is exactly.  If I run across one again I will take a pic,  but curious if anyone else has noticed these trucks are not going to age very well?  

16 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

I have already started seeing some beat up silverados around, either lack of care or minor collisions.  

Something about the body panels makes these trucks look cheap and flimsy,  I dont know what it is exactly.  If I run across one again I will take a pic,  but curious if anyone else has noticed these trucks are not going to age very well?  

That's because the panels are cheap and flimsy, and I don't expect to see any of the current ones riding around with historic plates. Too many complex systems and too many weight saving switches to lighter less durable materials and composites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That is every manufacturer, they are all using lighter and lighter panels that don't handle much of a beating. Riding in my girlfriends Rav4 the other day you can see the hood shake on the highway, just like any other GM truck we have. Although vehicles are more reliable and last longer in the interim they won't age better due to the complications to work on them and complexities of the vehicles themselves. Thomcat is right, you won't see as many riding around in 40-50 years as previous gens, I think though it mainly has to do with the ability to work on them down the road. 

Tyler 

I had an 80k 2017 Audi Q7 that I traded for my HC,  when you drove it down the highway at 55+MPH the hood would start flexing like the ocean, common compliant on the Audi forums, everything is getting cheap.

8 hours ago, greatmizzou said:

Every manufacturer is cutting out weigh (and costs) any way they can. If you think the body panels on these trucks look cheap and flimsy, go look at the fit and finish of the body of the current F-150's. I've seen some with horrible wavy body panels and all kinds of panel alignment issues. Same with Ram and all the others. GM is using a higher tensile strength steel to compensate for a reduced steel thickness. The bed of the K2 trucks using 350 MPa high strength steel and the T1 trucks now use a 500 MPa steel. It seems pretty strong. I had a 60 pound hitch extender in the bed to run it to a nearby town and had to slam on the brakes when a deer ran out in front of me. No dents or cracks in the bed. With how hard it slammed into the front of the bed I thought for sure I would have some damage.