F-150 XL vs. 1500 Custom

10 hours ago, snox700 said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm impressed with the new 1500.  After driving a Custom Trail Boss and an RST, I'd probably go the LT TB or RST route if the price is right.  The Custom has everything I need and was plenty comfortable and quiet, but the LT/RST trim has many "want" features and seems like a little better value with the current discounts.  I do wish Chevy offered a larger fuel tank option.  

The hardest part will be finding the right one in unicorn configuration (crew cab standard bed)...

All things considered, having to decide which new truck to buy is pretty good problem to have!

Dont discount the LT Z71.

I love mine. The best truck I've ever owned 

Happy hunting!!

20190805_184218.thumb.jpg.0d162a42f7ba961c8a6086f2e0c37074.jpg

Edited by MacLaren

i have extensive experience with ford and i will say this. I had a 17 XLT with pretty much all you could get on one. it cost me 40K. i bought a 19 Custom Trail Boss for about 37K. it is sorely lacking in HP compared to the coyote Ford motor and no way to upgrade it until maybe they get a tuner code breaker. in fairness an XLT should be compared to an LT but i am disappointed with GM for deleting a few conveniences like cup holders in the back, blue tooth dialing and center console storage. i like the styling of the TB and the lift. i think you can buy an XL with more options plus the coyote motor for about what i paid for the TB. if you have the budget get either the LT or the XLT. if not drive an XL and a Custom and look at the features before you decide. good luck.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:26 PM, ChuckTaylor said:

What do you want to do with it besides haul the family?  If you are good with XL/XLT trim, you can get the HDPP on an F-150 that will give it more capacity than some 2500s.  Also ford offers the 36 gallon tank, while GM is currently only offering a thimble sized gas tank for towing.

The big difference is safety features that you can only get on a 502a level Lariat are available on all the Chevy/GM trims. 

I can get 500 miles easy on a road trip with that thimble gas tank..   How many miles are you getting on a Toyota with a 30 plus gallon tank?  Not any more!!!    They improved the mpg and aerodynamics enough on this truck they probably didn't see a need for the larger tank?   yea it would be nice, and around town when it isn't getting 20 plus MPG going from stop light to stop light but is a 30 plus gallon tank REALLY needed if you can get over 500 miles from a tank on a long trip?   I personally don't need one..  I was personally bugged by this until I saw what it could do.  

Smitty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smitty said:

I can get 500 miles easy on a road trip with that thimble gas tank..   How many miles are you getting on a Toyota with a 30 plus gallon tank?  Not any more!!!    They improved the mpg and aerodynamics enough on this truck they probably didn't see a need for the larger tank?   yea it would be nice, and around town when it isn't getting 20 plus MPG going from stop light to stop light but is a 30 plus gallon tank REALLY needed if you can get over 500 miles from a tank on a long trip?   I personally don't need one..  I was personally bugged by this until I saw what it could do.  

Smitty

Toyota's current trucks are a disgrace - I was talking about Ford's latest offerings.

Chevy's tank is fine if you are going to get groceries, but if you are towing an enclosed trailer across Texas with a headwind, and getting 7.5-8 mpg, the thimble starts feeling like what it is.  Hopefully TransferFlow or Titan offer a 50 gallon replacement tank soon - it would more than likely require CC+6' bed though.

8 hours ago, ChuckTaylor said:

Toyota's current trucks are a disgrace - I was talking about Ford's latest offerings.

Chevy's tank is fine if you are going to get groceries, but if you are towing an enclosed trailer across Texas with a headwind, and getting 7.5-8 mpg, the thimble starts feeling like what it is.  Hopefully TransferFlow or Titan offer a 50 gallon replacement tank soon - it would more than likely require CC+6' bed though.

Good point but thimble is a bit over blown. LOL

?

Are the seats in a Custom the same as the seats in a LT (minus the power adjustability)? Like, are the Jet Black cloth seats in a Custom the same dimensions, foam, comfort, etc. as Jet Black cloths seats in a LT?

3 hours ago, snox700 said:

Are the seats in a Custom the same as the seats in a LT (minus the power adjustability)? Like, are the Jet Black cloth seats in a Custom the same dimensions, foam, comfort, etc. as Jet Black cloths seats in a LT?

No. GM cheaped out on the custom seats as there is zero storage in them. The armrest doesn’t open up and there is no under seat storage beneath the bottom center seat. But even in the LT you have to get an interior package to get the under seat storage but at least the armrest opens up. I would definitely go LT with that package. The shape, foam etc is the same. Plus, if you are going to buy a 4x4, all GMs have the electronic 4x4.

Edited by Dpach