F-150 XL vs. 1500 Custom

I'm a life long Ford guy and a avowed GM basher...  BUT, the new Silverado 1500 has legitimately made me reconsider (as hard as that is for me to say!).

I currently drive a '16 F-150 XL SuperCab (double cab) and couldn't be happier.  However, with a growing family, I'm in the market for a crew cab and therefore a new truck. 

Up until my current truck, I'd driven Super Duty Lariats and while the higher trims are absolutely sweet, I've realized that a "base" model XL with 101A package (power equipment group) or GM equivalent has everything I'll ever need.

So, my question:  I'll be going to look at and drive a new 1500 soon and I'm wondering how an F-150 XL compares to a new 1500 Custom.  On paper and from what I understand from on here and various reviews, the XL and Custom are the comparable trims.

Does anyone have experience between the two?  Does an XL have anything a Custom doesn't, or vice versa?  Is there anything on the higher trims that you would consider worth the extra cost?  Can you store sunglasses (ha!)?

Thanks in advance.

My advice is go to both websites and “build and price” and read the specs as you go. I am biased towards GM but did test drive 2 fords (5.0 and 3.5).

I then test drove 2 Silverado (5.3 and 6.2).

The ford felt stiff and boring although had plenty of power.

I love  the 5.3 and 8 speed although there are some complaints about the shifting in early builds.I ordered my truck and just received it 3 weeks ago so U think GM figured it out. More complaints about ford 10 speed I believe from what I have read. If you get the 5.3 with 6 speed you will like it also.

Read through the specs and packages and pick what you must have and what is in your budget. The crew cab is awesome and I ordered mine with the standard bed. You won’t find many standard bed crew cabs on the lot but some with double cabs.

You should be able to buy a 2019 for +/- 20% off of the MSRP.

If you are a Costco member explore that option. 

Good luck!

Edited by Snuff

One noticeable difference is that you're going to get a 7" touchscreen system with the GM that supports Carplay and Android Auto as a standard feature. I'm pretty sure the XL does not come with that type of radio standard? My father in law has an F-150 Sport, and it's got the basic radio. 

Not sure how much that matters to you, but to me that is a big time nod to the Silverado Custom. With the new Carplay interface coming out in iOS 13, you're going to have a very good looking center display vs. a boring radio in the F-150. 

I've read the new F-150s are having a lot of issues.

If I was you, I'd get Custom with the 5.3 AFM & 6 speed. This combo has been out for a long time now and I believe has had all the quirks worked out by now.

IMO this should be more reliable in the long term over the F-150.

I’ll vote ford. I really don’t like my new Chevy. I think GM quality has gone down quite a bit. There’s a lot of small things that drive me crazy daily. I had a 14 ford and it was better than this truck. But you’re going to get a ton of different opinions. All I would say is test drive one multiple times on different days and see what you think before pulling the trigger. Good luck in your search!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What do you want to do with it besides haul the family?  If you are good with XL/XLT trim, you can get the HDPP on an F-150 that will give it more capacity than some 2500s.  Also ford offers the 36 gallon tank, while GM is currently only offering a thimble sized gas tank for towing.

The big difference is safety features that you can only get on a 502a level Lariat are available on all the Chevy/GM trims. 

I cross shopped the Ford F150 XL STX 5.0L and Chevy 1500 LT as those prices were most similar.  The LT feature wise won hands down, specifically LED headlights and keyless entry/start.  

I would have always considered myself a "Ford guy", but end of the day I'm brand agnostic and just looked for the vehicle that met my needs.

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm impressed with the new 1500.  After driving a Custom Trail Boss and an RST, I'd probably go the LT TB or RST route if the price is right.  The Custom has everything I need and was plenty comfortable and quiet, but the LT/RST trim has many "want" features and seems like a little better value with the current discounts.  I do wish Chevy offered a larger fuel tank option.  

The hardest part will be finding the right one in unicorn configuration (crew cab standard bed)...

All things considered, having to decide which new truck to buy is pretty good problem to have!

I can't speak for the newer GM truck models. But my '13 has been very reliable so far. One parking sensor went out just after the warranty expired. That's it. 180,000km (~112,000mls) trouble free.

The company vehicles we have are Ford vans, SD and half ton trucks. There's not one day, that there isn't a vehicle sitting in the shop for some issues. I'm not making it up. No gain for me. The Transit with a 3.5 ecoboost is pulling like there's no tomorrow. But the regularity with which the engine light is coming on is astonishing.

Take from it what ever you need ?

so long

j-ten-ner