24 Hours With a 2020 Silveado HD (T1)

Got my hands on a 2020 Silverado 2500hd!  Long awaited for me for sure, seeing that they are making their way on to lots.  Lets start!

Exterior:  This particular truck I drove was a Work Truck.  In person, the HD is much easier on the eyes, but the WT is, I feel, the least attractive.  I think its the black grille treatment that puts me off.  This truck had the 17" carryover steel wheels, wrapped in LT265/70R17 Firestone TransForce AT tires (yes, the carryover AT not the AT2).  Options list was minimal, including the WT Convenience Package, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, the AT tires and black bowties.  Overall, the truck's exterior is very functional.  The bed steps are genius.  Sure, they don't tuck away like some aftermarket designs do, however as a result they maintain bed rocker ground clearance like there isn't even a step there. 

Now, I am personally not a running board guy, mainly for looks (and I think 1/2 tons and Colorados are too low stock for them), but this thing needs them!  Definitely an increased step in height with the T1 over the K2 HD.  Its noticeable.  Also, the size increase is noticeable too.  I think its within an inch or so height wise to a Super Duty, and the body is just as wide as one.  They dwarf the K2 HD.  I do think that the 18" wheels are a must for looks, as they run a 33" tire and suit the truck's profile much better than the 17" wheels do as a result of the 31.5" tire they use.  The towing mirrors.  Totally functional.  I can definitely get behind the way they are mounted once you drive one.  This one had the base tow mirror, so just heat and power upper glass.  There is much better visibility in the A-Pillar to mirror sightline.  I found the extending not what I thought it was going to be?  Its actually positionally detented.  You pull it out and it comes off the arm a touch and then hits the outer detent.  No "in between" position, but that might be just because its the base mirror.   

Oh!  Another interesting fact.  No aluminum body panels anywhere that I could see.  Its all steel.  The hood, doors, tailgate, all steel.  Honestly, I was expecting some aluminum somewhere, like the hood at least, maybe the doors.  GM wasn't joking when they said it only shares the cab structure, otherwise everything was unique to the HD.  The biggest giveaway to those keen enough to notice, is the "CHEVROLET" area on the tailgate.  Its nowhere near as protruded on the gate as the 1500 gate.  

IMG_5707.thumb.jpg.344058277fe488bc203d2362538b8afa.jpg

Interior:  See 2019+ T1 1500.  Don't expect anything different here.  Its still a good interior ( I think), apart from some questionable material choices in spots.  I will add one important bit.  Anyone looking at a WT or Custom trim HD, make sure you sit in an LT or higher with a power seat.  The hood is even higher yet than a K2 HD, and the tall front at the end of the hood can be a bit tricky.  I'm 5'10" and felt the standard seat to be ok, but some more height would have been nice around a parking lot/close to other cars.  The mirrors, see the exterior description above.   

Powertrain/How it drives:  The big bit.  This truck had the 6.6 L8T gas V8.  For being as large and heavy as this truck is, that powertrain is much improved over the L96, and long overdue.  I didn't time anything, but it can move quite well when you want it to.  I pulled out from an intersection normally, hit 2nd gear and rolled right into it and it took off quick.  The K2 HD dead feeling accelerator pedal is gone too (thank god) and the power feels in line with your right foot.  Much better response.  Mileage wise, I averaged 15mpg, I'd say 65/35 city-highway split?  Even the 6L90 shifting is improved.  Do I still hope they throw the 10L90 in it?  Yep.  But the 6L90 has been a strong unit, and the added power makes it a good package for the time being.  The added wheelbase smooths the ride out a touch.  Stiffness?  Well, its an HD LOL and had 80psi in the rear tires, but it was still well behaved.  

Overall, a nice improvement on the K2 HD.  Love the mirrors, love the power, the bed steps all around.  Love the look more or less, could use some interior help for sure.  

Big thanks to Cavallaro Neubauer Chevrolet in Williamson NY for letting me borrow this beast!  Link to the window sticker for the truck:  https://www.cnchevy.com/f_WindowSticker?VIN=1GC4YLE79LF117398&cs:o=%window_sticker%&cs:o=%27WindowSticker%27 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Mileage wise, I averaged 15mpg, I'd say 65/35 city-highway split?

This is amazing, considering some of us K2 owners average this in our 1500's with the 5.3

Great writeup and personal review Newdude. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

This is amazing, considering some of us K2 owners average this in our 1500's with the 5.3

Thanks for reading!  That MPG was on  about 50 miles of driving, and I left it running while I took the pictures for about 15 minutes.  With that amount of idling time, I was expecting like 13-14mpg.  I wish I had the chance to run a tank through it as that would have been a better judgment. 

2 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Hideous

Only thing about the WT crowd is they usually don't buy it for looks.

The High Country is much better looking.

Yes, the WT is...different.  But I can say the design is nowhere near as polarizing in person as it is in photos, and that everything is very cohesive about it. 

I am interested in a High Country with the gas engine. Currently in a Ford 6.2 that has served me well. I went to Ford for my last truck for the features, interior room, etc. Now, that GM has fixed most of those, I want to see how it is. You seem to have enjoyed the new engine, so are there any other thoughts? I use mine mainly as a daily driver, family hauler, and tow a TT 8-10 times a year.

3 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

I am interested in a High Country with the gas engine. Currently in a Ford 6.2 that has served me well. I went to Ford for my last truck for the features, interior room, etc. Now, that GM has fixed most of those, I want to see how it is. You seem to have enjoyed the new engine, so are there any other thoughts? I use mine mainly as a daily driver, family hauler, and tow a TT 8-10 times a year.

GM, I think after having driven this truck, benchmarked the Super Duty line.  I say this based on its size/height, the way more functional towing mirrors in terms of power fold/extend that Ford has had for a LONG time on SD, the lower bed rail height for 5th wheel clearance, etc.  It might be an illusion, but even the door belt line from inside the truck seemed lower.  Not Ford 18 wheeler door dip low, but lower none the less.  

I haven't really been in any loaded up Super Duties, so I can't compare the interior of Lariat/King Ranch to a High Country.  I can say that some lower Ford trims like XL and XLT, I find that Ford is just as guilty of poor feeling plastics, strange controls, etc. as GM is.  I've been in 2019 1500 High Country, and they are nice.  Yea, GM could have a slightly larger radio screen (9-10 inch?) and perhaps some nicer plastics in spots, but otherwise its a nice interior.  The tech GM finally added is sweet.  HD rearview mirror camera, HD surround vision, trailering app, etc.  All really nice, helpful and functional.   

I think that the T1 HD in general seems to really be an even more worthy competitor to the SD.  When GMT-900 debuted the all new frame in 2011, it showed me that GM knew they were falling behind on a truly capable truck, and T1 finally gets them at and or slightly above that point.  I think they are after HD truck market share with this truck.          

• Like 1

Thank you for the review. I’m curious about that engine as I am contemplating stepping up to 2500/250 from my 1500. Only considering gas engines. 

On a a related note....  that truck is hideous. What were they thinking?

Dear God....

526A9E67-5498-4A46-875B-D9211EE76FCB.jpeg

Edited by RE1

On 8/11/2019 at 8:49 AM, RE1 said:

Thank you for the review. I’m curious about that engine as I am contemplating stepping up to 2500/250 from my 1500. Only considering gas engines. 

On a a related note....  that truck is hideous. What were they thinking?

Dear God....

526A9E67-5498-4A46-875B-D9211EE76FCB.jpeg

I actually think the front end of the HD Silverados looks good... but they really missed it on the headlamp assembly. I think the headlights should be where the turn signals are (above the CHEVROLET grill piece), like they are on the 1500s. 

With the headlamps on the bottom, it looks SO strange, IMO. 

On 8/5/2019 at 3:16 PM, Sierra Dan said:

I can confirm this information. I test drove a 6.6 Gas CC LTZ. Drove a 15 mile loop consisting of two stop lights, a busy traffic circle and rolling/winding country roads (45-60mph). I turned around in a parking lot and aggressively got up to 60mph once back on pavement; was happy with perceived acceleration. When I pulled back onto the lot the dash read 15.5 mpg. I did the same loop in my '13 5.3L ext. cab and got 15.0mpg. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...