Exhaust Brake

Just got my 2020 AT4 2500 yesterday. I am new to a diesel truck. Wondering about this exhaust brake. Not a lot of info in the owners manual. The truck definitely stops better with exhaust brake on. My question is: is it ok to always run with exhaust brake on? You have to manually turn on the switch every time you start the truck so just wondering. Any info would be appreciated!

While it is extremely helpful slowing a trailer down without wearing out your brakes in short order, it has very little value and I would probably find it annoying for everyday driving. 

It it wouldn’t hurt anything though, so whatever you prefer. 

• 1 year later...

I had my Diesel Exhaust Brake in my Sierra 3500 on while pulling my fifth wheel from Texas to Florida last week. I turned it off for the return trip. I may be dreaming but i seem to have gotten better gas mileage on the way back with it off.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, George Mc said:

I had my Diesel Exhaust Brake in my Sierra 3500 on while pulling my fifth wheel from Texas to Florida last week. I turned it off for the return trip. I may be dreaming but i seem to have gotten better gas mileage on the way back with it off.

My TT is not very heavy, and I didn’t go too far, but I thought I noticed that too.

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2020 at 11:01 AM, George Mc said:

That may have been because of the winds.  Makes a difference when you're in a tailwind vs headwind.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

To revive this topic and change the subject a bit. With the revised Exhaust brake on the 2024 I find myself using it all the time because it 1) works great and 2) it requires less brake pressure on coast/gradual stops (like slowing on the off ramp, or slowing down approaching a light). Again its not a NEED as the rotors/brake liners are massive, but it certainly makes the truck feel more like a light truck with big brakes than a 3/4 ton when stopping.  My question is: Is there a way to program/install a aftermarket module to keep the Exhaust Brake ON after every start (like the AutoStop disable module I installed on my wife's 3.0L)?

On 3/29/2021 at 5:26 PM, Vincent Camayd said:

That may have been because of the winds.  Makes a difference when you're in a tailwind vs headwind.  

True, my company truck is a '21 RAM 2500 gas and i can make a round trip from Abilene to Dallas typically averaging 17-18 mpg. On my last trip in a head wind i averaged 13-14 mpg. I had never imagined that big of a change in fuel mileage. 

• 7 months later...
On 1/23/2024 at 12:01 PM, davidm767 said:

To revive this topic and change the subject a bit. With the revised Exhaust brake on the 2024 I find myself using it all the time because it 1) works great and 2) it requires less brake pressure on coast/gradual stops (like slowing on the off ramp, or slowing down approaching a light). Again its not a NEED as the rotors/brake liners are massive, but it certainly makes the truck feel more like a light truck with big brakes than a 3/4 ton when stopping.  My question is: Is there a way to program/install a aftermarket module to keep the Exhaust Brake ON after every start (like the AutoStop disable module I installed on my wife's 3.0L)?

I’ve been looking for a similar solution. Probably would require a custom tune I assume, but don’t really know.

the short time I have used my truck and how tight it is where I live I use the exhaust brake as well.....havent hauled or towed yet as I havent broke in more than cpl hundred miles....