The reasons I am disappointed in my 2019 Custom Trail boss

On 7/27/2019 at 3:19 AM, Meintool said:

I have issues with my new truck, and I regret driving home with it a month ago for what are seemingly minor reasons, but have turned out to be practically deal breaking.

Traded in a 2016 V6 work truck Silverado, black with the black out package, 4v4 with locker.

left the deal with a 2019 Custom Trail boss with the 5.3 of course, satin steel

As much as I like the 2019 Silverado, I am really disappointed in the features that are missing from this Z71 custom trail boss, that came standard with my base model work truck...

the 2016 WT Silverado had the following :

BRIGHT H.I.D headlights

large storage compartment in the center fold down seat.

sunglass holder

multiple other storage compartments in the interior

Manual parking brake

manual transfer case lever near drivers right foot.

the 2019 Custom z71 Trail boss:

Does not have H.I.D headlamps, It does have terrible halogen headlamps.

Does not have a large storage copartment in the center fold down seat, it does have almost no storage at all except a small openly visible cubby on the center of the top dash and the 2 glove boxes.

Does not have a sunglass holder.

It does not have any other storage compartments

It does not have a manual parking break, it does have an annoying electric parking break that I have to wait for it to activate, deactivate before being able to drive off or get out.

It does not have a manual transfer case lever, it does have electronic transfer case buttons, that again, you have to wait for them to activate/deactive and even have to put the truck in neutral to activate/deactivate.

The lack of H.I.D's and the center seat storage have really made me consider this my last GM product, sure they gave me red recovery hooks, some decent tires, and a ghetto lift, but to be honest, It just isnt enough to offset losing certain options, I thought I could live without them, but after living without them for a month, I cant stand it, it bothers me so much and I want to get rid of the truck.

first, i love the color.

second i can agree and disagree with some of what you said. I too made a post about the sunglass holder. it's dumb that they didn't just make it bigger instead of removing it.

i literally put all my stuff from my 16 into bags by compartment and was annoyed when my center console bag no longer fit in the center. i don't really need the inconvenient storage in the rear passenger seat backs, but like that it's there. just not as a sacrifice to other spots.

also agree that the lights aren't as bright

i like the button parking brake and transfer case (this dates back to like 2003 btw on non-wt's)

another thing i haven't seen get much attention is the usb below the radio instead of the center console. Now I have to fumble to find my cord that is just hanging there instead of just grabbing the cord resting in the cupholder mostly out of the way in the console.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, RyanbabZ71 said:

I can’t believe the nit picky complaints about the new trucks. Gets worse each year. People expect more and more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

i dont disagree with this, except that it comes across as losing features that are basic and the cost just increases.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:15 PM, Silverado4x4 said:

That's because people will complain and bitch about everything and anything they can. What's next complain because the valve stem caps are cheap and stripped out when tightening? We have a center console, under the center console,  2 glove boxes to put stuff in. Unreal its todays world we live in now

or.... here's a thought, you pay $54k for a vehicle and they remove a feature that has been standard since at least the 90's if not longer.

Think of it like this. I bet you use your cupholders, most of us do. Now you buy an expensive benz and find that it doesn't fit any of your big coffee mugs because in europe they dont have those. You've just spent $80k on an expensive ass car that is perfect in every way but some engineer made the cupholders an inch too short in circumference. It's an easy and basic fix that they didn't do, yet forces you to drive with your mug between your legs. 

Or another way to look at it. Say you don't ever drink in your car and they take the cupholders out. You get some extra storage space and think it's great, meanwhile forum members are losing their shit because they use them a lot. It's not just pointless bitching just because it doesn't matter to you. I use my sunglass holder in all my cars and while not a deal breaker its a major annoyance that i have to now leave them exposed on the dash while the sun beats down on the them and some punk thinks about a smash and grab.

• Like 1

Here is a solution.  It is the GM OEM Center Seat Upgrade, it's a great deal I think, you basically replace the top Compartment, it comes with the box that opens just like the LT and LTZ models.  

So now you can get all that storage you wanted, and you SAVED $4000, $8000 versus getting a more expensive model!! 

https://sdparts.com/i-24134630-genuine-gm-parts-84602302-center-console-upgrade-for-2019-silverado-work-truck-models.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgJiVtNT04wIVgpyzCh0HrQ3JEAQYASABEgKlN_D_BwE

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, Cpl_Punishment said:

My brother says the headlights on his 2016 Silverado WT are utter garbage. So you're saying the ones on the 2019 Custom are even worse?

Being my last truck was a 2002 Silverado 1500 LT.... the headlights on my 2019 Trail Boss are 1000X's better I have never seen farther at night !!!......but that's me..just sayin!!!

Edited by Uncle Buck 68
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:55 AM, steveved said:

If you have a home computer or laptop, you could just rip all of your CD's to your computer and put them on a usb stick as album folders.  Then you don't ever have to swap CD's anymore, you can fit them all on one stick.  There are multiple USB slots on these trucks that can read a usb stick.

Just takes a bit of time to rip the CDs.

And no, you don't have to buy some custom software for this.  Windows media player can rip CDs for you.

Right click... copy.... move to USB  stick.... paste... also works..

13 hours ago, BobbyAlton said:

Here is a solution.  It is the GM OEM Center Seat Upgrade, it's a great deal I think, you basically replace the top Compartment, it comes with the box that opens just like the LT and LTZ models.  

So now you can get all that storage you wanted, and you SAVED $4000, $8000 versus getting a more expensive model!! 

https://sdparts.com/i-24134630-genuine-gm-parts-84602302-center-console-upgrade-for-2019-silverado-work-truck-models.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgJiVtNT04wIVgpyzCh0HrQ3JEAQYASABEgKlN_D_BwE

Ordered this will let you know if it works.

one other issue with the GM trucks i failed to mention earlier is why did they take the voice dial feature off the phones? it seems much more dangerous to be scrolling through contacts on a screen than just using the voice.

9 minutes ago, Trail Boss 1 said:

Ordered this will let you know if it works.

one other issue with the GM trucks i failed to mention earlier is why did they take the voice dial feature off the phones? it seems much more dangerous to be scrolling through contacts on a screen than just using the voice.

Thanks, yes please do. And if you don't mind, take pictures of the "steps" you have to do for removal and install.  I"m planning on ordering it as well.

I'm going to do something similar with a Leather Steering Wheel Upgrade.  I just found one on eBay, it was from an LT or LTZ, has the leather, radio DIC controls.  The truck only had 2 miles on it and somehow was hit on the front passenger side so badly that it was totalled, they are selling parts, parting it out on eBay now.  Will see how it goes, wheel arrives today.

1 hour ago, BobbyAlton said:

Thanks, yes please do. And if you don't mind, take pictures of the "steps" you have to do for removal and install.  I"m planning on ordering it as well.

I'm going to do something similar with a Leather Steering Wheel Upgrade.  I just found one on eBay, it was from an LT or LTZ, has the leather, radio DIC controls.  The truck only had 2 miles on it and somehow was hit on the front passenger side so badly that it was totalled, they are selling parts, parting it out on eBay now.  Will see how it goes, wheel arrives today.

will do i got an email stating it was out of stock on backorder and would take 7-10 days. we will see.

• 7 months later...

I understand the complaints. I bought a 2020 custom trail boss as well. Was pretty disappointed at the fact that the center console doesn’t have a lid and that it doesn’t have the storage compartment under the front middle seat. Other than that  it’s a pretty solid truck, I upgraded from a 2000 Silverado, 20 year difference and now having a touch screen radio with Apple car play and rear view camera was a big upgrade. Not having all the bells and whistles is why the price wasn’t so bad. I’m a GM technician and was very familiar with the truck and knew exactly what it had and didn’t. I installed the factory fog lamps which are led and make a difference lighting up the road at night. Also installed the rear wheel liners under the bed to give it a better look. And in the future will be looking into swapping out the center front seat to get the one with the storage compartments. 

On 7/27/2019 at 2:19 AM, Meintool said:

I have issues with my new truck, and I regret driving home with it a month ago for what are seemingly minor reasons, but have turned out to be practically deal breaking.

Traded in a 2016 V6 work truck Silverado, black with the black out package, 4v4 with locker.

left the deal with a 2019 Custom Trail boss with the 5.3 of course, satin steel

As much as I like the 2019 Silverado, I am really disappointed in the features that are missing from this Z71 custom trail boss, that came standard with my base model work truck...

the 2016 WT Silverado had the following :

BRIGHT H.I.D headlights

large storage compartment in the center fold down seat.

sunglass holder

multiple other storage compartments in the interior

Manual parking brake

manual transfer case lever near drivers right foot.

the 2019 Custom z71 Trail boss:

Does not have H.I.D headlamps, It does have terrible halogen headlamps.

Does not have a large storage copartment in the center fold down seat, it does have almost no storage at all except a small openly visible cubby on the center of the top dash and the 2 glove boxes.

Does not have a sunglass holder.

It does not have any other storage compartments

It does not have a manual parking break, it does have an annoying electric parking break that I have to wait for it to activate, deactivate before being able to drive off or get out.

It does not have a manual transfer case lever, it does have electronic transfer case buttons, that again, you have to wait for them to activate/deactive and even have to put the truck in neutral to activate/deactivate.

The lack of H.I.D's and the center seat storage have really made me consider this my last GM product, sure they gave me red recovery hooks, some decent tires, and a ghetto lift, but to be honest, It just isnt enough to offset losing certain options, I thought I could live without them, but after living without them for a month, I cant stand it, it bothers me so much and I want to get rid of the truck.

20190628_093747.jpg

Dude you bought it knowing what options it had and didn’t have. Cant blame Chevy. Should have bought a LT

• Like 1

yeah people really need to research vehicles a bit better before they go buy them......ultimately the decision is yours on what to buy....they made it look really good so people would overlook the obvious basics

I too was gonna buy a custom TB but after further discovery and looking into exactly what it is, I chose a base model with more interior options as the lift and tires are an easy fix....I didn't get bucket seats and really kick myself for not, I had it in last truck but didn't think it was big deal and I was wrong.....but that's my fault not GM....

you cant blame anyone for something you did on your own free will....one of best things to do is go look at trucks and promise yourself you wont buy anything today, do exactly that....nothing will change in a day or even a week

its good to have time to process things....this last time I did my whole purchase online and over a 2 week period, I went by dealers to look at trucks and then did the negotiating thru emails and texts....it was by far the best way to purchase imo……..if you just wake up one day and decide to buy a truck without doing any research or homework it is a recipe for disappointment....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, I'm sorry you are not happy with your truck. I wonder if your dealer will take it back? I think my guy gives you 30 days if you're not satisfied. Or, maybe it will just take some getting used to. It's a beautiful truck imho, if that helps. I almost bought one of those. Love the look. 

Instead, I bought a 2019 LD 5.3 standard bed double cab 4x4 with Allstar and LT trim a couple months ago. It's basically a leftover. It has the 2014-2018 body style.

It was between it and a beautiful blue custom trail boss like yours. I really liked the trail boss and the style of the new trucks is awesome, but it was missing a lot of things I was used to or wanted. I traded in a loaded 2016 Colorado, so I was used to some creature comforts.

I got the LD for $11,000 off msrp. Very happy with it. The dealer added heated seats to sweeten the deal.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:32 AM, Thomcat said:

$50 to install my own self dimming mirror.

What year is your truck and can you describe your auto dimming install and where you got it for only $50? That's one option I miss on my new truck.

Thanks