The reasons I am disappointed in my 2019 Custom Trail boss

6 minutes ago, BlackRST said:

I can understand your frustration.My future father-in-law just purchased a custom trailboss. I just recently got a Z71 RST myself....Both trucks side by side its like night and day. Its frustrating seeing the custom so stripped down. Little features like even onstar or satilite radio as an option not being on the custom is very saddening. I didnt realize the stark contrast between the trim levels until actually seeing them side by side. 

Does your father-in-law like his truck?   My son drives a High Country and I drive a V6 SLE and we both chose our trucks new. 

2 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

That’s why they have different trim levels. People don’t always want everything. If a model doesn’t offer what you want they move to another model or add the items after market. I moved up to a HC because I didn’t like all the chrome on the LTZ models. I had the door handles painted and installed. I also had the trailboss lift added because I wanted the 6.2 and couldn’t get that in the trailboss for 19. I wish it was like BK (get it your way) but it’s not. Plenty of info out there showing what you get with each model

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Listen, im not saying that everyone should get what they want for the base price. What im highlighting is how many basic features you'd expect on a 35-42k custom are not equipped. I also was mentioning, wow I wouldnt of realized there were SO many differences between the custom trailboss and a topped out RST. Neither I or my father in law complained about it. It was a visual observation. I wanted certain things, color matches, fog lights, no chrome so I chose to purchase an RST vs the LT/LTZ, the high country is too rich for my 30 year old self ahaha. I also did not want leather because my dog(s) travel with me often and I didnt want to risk it getting ruined. 

10 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Does your father-in-law like his truck?   My son drives a High Country and I drive a V6 SLE and we both chose our trucks new. 

Yeah, as i mentioned in the one reply (Must've been literally right as you sent yours. He does enjoy it...Im saying how shocked I was as far as the wide range of differences. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlackRST said:

Yeah, as i mentioned in the one reply (Must've been literally right as you sent yours. He does enjoy it...Im saying how shocked I was as far as the wide range of differences. 

Yes, our messages must have passed each other in cyber space!   BTW.  In response to cloth seats/leather and dogs. The leather in these trucks has the feel and function (imo) of the standard vinyl seats of the past.  I bought leather because of my dog.  I can easily switch from dog to passenger with a damp cloth.   However, the cloth is also a good choice as pets maybe don't slip and slide!

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Yes, our messages must have passed each other in cyber space!   BTW.  In response to cloth seats/leather and dogs. The leather in these trucks has the feel and function (imo) of the standard vinyl seats of the past.  I bought leather because of my dog.  I can easily switch from dog to passenger with a damp cloth.   However, the cloth is also a good choice as pets maybe don't slip and slide!

Yeah, I did weigh the options of cleaning the seats. The worst Ive had is some dirt/dust on the seats I can just damp wipe off. Speaking of sliding....I bought one of the seat cover/hammock things to use for my dog when hes wet after swimming and he was sliding all around in the back when I kept it on 24/7....I loved the leather look and with the trim level and options it would have finished off the look very nicely. But it honestly came down to me worrying about nails scratching it or poking through. Plus occasionally I have to wear some equipment on my waist for work that I worried would rub/poke the leather over time. 

• Like 1

That's why you look first. I looked in Edmunds.com and compared the 2016 WT and 2019 Trail Boss Custom, both 4x4. The MSRP is only $1k more for the 2019.

With the 2019, vanity mirrors are illuminated. Rubber floor mats are standard, not optional. The 2019 is longer, wider, and taller. Android Auto is standard in the 2019, not available in the 2016. Bluetooth is optional in 2016, standard in 2019. Vinyl standard in 2016, cloth standard in 2019. Steel wheels in 2016, painted alloy in 2019. And it's only $1k more?

I got my RST Crew Cab 4x4 with locker for $43k and it has LED and transfer case. That's why you look at cars before buying it.

Not frustration......buyers remorse. Rest drove at least 7 Silvys in all variations until I found the best combo for me. I agree with OP's shortcomings, but they are not shortcomings for the Silverado , just his particular model and tastes. 

Didn't like the halogens or the knobby tires on the Boss or Z71 models. Didn't like the chrome on the LTZ but wanted the auto-dimming rearview only available on that model. Solution was to get an RST with all around LED lighting, 22" tires and spend $50 to install my own self dimming mirror. Also contained the full console with rear HVAC vents which I mistakenly didn't get in my '16.

I actually preferred the halogens over the HIDs in my 16 because of the shutter system limitations in projector lamps, but my test drives at night proved the LEDs to be far superior to both. Was weorried about the small size of the trendy reflectors, but was blown away by their operation. Four focused beams on low and six focused beams on high (four lows remain lit in addition to two highs)  the best light output and coverage of any, that's any, vehicle tested or owned to date!

I think we can all gripe about expecting more for our money on these trucks, at every trim level. 

It’s especially hard to accept lack of features that were once standard. That’s totally normal. 

But saying you want to get rid of your truck because you expected more really shows you had starry eyes when you evaluated and test drove the truck you bought. 

When I drove off the lot with my loaded RST, was I frustrated I could not buy up to ventilated leather seats inside the RST trim? For sure. But I love the truck and accepted that was reality. No turning back. 

Edited by econometrics
  • Like 3

It’s funny I read these posts and I wonder why people didn’t look at the GMC. It comes with most of the stuff standard, but my 14 had those Halogen lights and they suck, $80 and 20 minutes I installed LEDs problem solved. I believe GM was made to remove the sunglasses holder and put the one on the dash for safety reasons, it took attention away from the road, I never liked it anyway. Don’t believe the Government would do that look at the warning label on a tube of Preparation H. I would think if you bought it you would know what to do with but maybe not. Things get changed for 2 reasons mostly money or the Damn Government.

I still don't get the obsession with sunglasses holder, I had one in my F-150 and never used it. I just put it in the center console. It was too flimsy to begin with anyways and I always feared breaking it.

I don't know about the Silverado but it was flimsy on the F-150.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I still don't get the obsession with sunglasses holder, I had one in my F-150 and never used it. I just put it in the center console. It was too flimsy to begin with anyways and I always feared breaking it.

I used to use the one in my 2016 Silverado pretty often. Again, it's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have, especially when the old body style did. 

17 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

That's because people will complain and bitch about everything and anything they can. What's next complain because the valve stem caps are cheap and stripped out when tightening? We have a center console, under the center console,  2 glove boxes to put stuff in. Unreal its todays world we live in now

• Like 1

It's all my fault. Really.

The one thing I was actually pissed about after the fact, was no Siriusxm. When the salesman was pairing my phone to the truck, we were also in touch with OnStar. He told me not to do the 3 month free OnStar because they would want my CC number. I was glad of that. But, during that, I also asked him how many months did I get Siriusxm for free.  He said 1 month. I said, okay cool. I didnt even think to actually turn on or try to find Siriusxm! I was indeed starry eyed.

I called back Monday and the salesman said he had no idea it didnt have Siriusxm.  But, in the end whether he really knew or not, it was my own fault. However, I very quickly got over it, as I just stream xm now.