Max Trailer Package = Sporty Ride

2 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Setting your expectations that switching now will make a noticeable difference on rough concrete roads may lead to disappointment. This comment is not based on first-hand experience but enough research to keep my stock shocks until they wear out or break down!

Yeah, I am not expecting Bilsteins to produce an airbag level ride for my RST. 

Here are the main improvements I am desiring, and I think Bilstein replacements would help a lot with this: 

1. Reduced side-to-side bounciness going over bumps at slow speeds at an angle (e.g. entering a driveway / approach) 
  2. Reduced front end bounce at highway speeds going over dips
  3. Firmer rear end planting and less "pogo stick" feel when hitting road seams / rough bumps at highway speeds, usually causing the rear to skip

As I said previously, the truck rides pretty well over all. If I was driving the 100% paved roads in my hometown in rural Minnesota, I would probably never notice much of this. But these uneven, harsh DFW concrete highways really accentuate the issues. 

10 minutes ago, HBKidJr said:

Man that High Country 22" wheel is awful though. It feels like GM phoned it in on this generation truck. The other manufacturers have much better options right now, as far as looks go.

I do agree with that. 

The only 22" GM wheel I like is the Chevy black-out one. That thing looks GOOD. 

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

Here are the main improvements I am desiring, and I think Bilstein replacements would help a lot with this: 

1. Reduced side-to-side bounciness going over bumps at slow speeds at an angle (e.g. entering a driveway / approach) 
  2. Reduced front end bounce at highway speeds going over dips
  3. Firmer rear end planting and less "pogo stick" feel when hitting road seams / rough bumps at highway speeds, usually causing the rear to skip

As I said previously, the truck rides pretty well over all. If I was driving the 100% paved roads in my hometown in rural Minnesota, I would probably never notice much of this. But these uneven, harsh DFW concrete highways really accentuate the issues. 

That bounce and pogo stick sensation you are describing is due to your truck riding on big steel springs that can carry a lot of weight. Driving around with an unloaded truck gets you the results you describe. Try throwing 500 lbs in the bed and driving on the same road and tell me what you think of the ride then.

Shocks' only job is to control the speed that the spring can deflect/return to normal position.

3 minutes ago, aseibel said:

That bounce and pogo stick sensation you are describing is due to your truck riding on big steel springs that can carry a lot of weight. Driving around with an unloaded truck gets you the results you describe. Try throwing 500 lbs in the bed and driving on the same road and tell me what you think of the ride then.

Shocks' only job is to control the speed that the spring can deflect/return to normal position.

You're right to a degree, but the shocks play a major role in this. 

I'm sure if I loaded the bed, it would be a different story going over the harsh bumps at speed. It would, however, most likely exacerbate my #2 point above, as the shocks would still be performing poor. This time with more weight on them. 

8 minutes ago, econometrics said:

You're right to a degree, but the shocks play a major role in this. 

I'm sure if I loaded the bed, it would be a different story going over the harsh bumps at speed. It would, however, most likely exacerbate my #2 point above, as the shocks would still be performing poor. This time with more weight on them. 

I'm just saying, I don't think there is anything wrong with the shocks. Your truck was designed for a certain type of driving with a certain load. Your expectations don't match the original design, so you perceive a deficiency in the suspension. I think you ought to consider changing your springs to fit your driving style, not just the shocks.

"While shock absorbers serve the purpose of limiting excessive suspension movement, their intended sole purpose is to damp spring oscillations. Some people use shocks to modify spring rates but this is not the correct use."- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber

"The leaf spring can also be tuned to different load-bearing and ride control requirements by changing the numbers, widths, thicknesses and lengths of the spring leaves." - https://www.tirereview.com/the-role-of-springs-in-suspension-systems/

5 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I'm just saying, I don't think there is anything wrong with the shocks. Your truck was designed for a certain type of driving with a certain load. Your expectations don't match the original design, so you perceive a deficiency in the suspension. I think you ought to consider changing your springs to fit your driving style, not just the shocks.

"While shock absorbers serve the purpose of limiting excessive suspension movement, their intended sole purpose is to damp spring oscillations. Some people use shocks to modify spring rates but this is not the correct use."- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber

"The leaf spring can also be tuned to different load-bearing and ride control requirements by changing the numbers, widths, thicknesses and lengths of the spring leaves." - https://www.tirereview.com/the-role-of-springs-in-suspension-systems/

Go drive a T1 Z71 with twin-tube Ranchos for yourself over the roads I am describing here. 

Look, I get where you're coming from. I know all about the leaf spring excuses for a truck riding poorly. My RST payload is about 100# more than my 2007 RWD 1500 CC, which rode MUCH better in the same conditions. Everyone likes to talk about how the T1 springs are beefier, etc. The reality is, it's not all that much when it comes down to actual payload capacities.

Ceteris paribus, the Ranchos are the key difference for me. So, I'm getting rid of them whenever Bilstein gives me the chance. 

Edited by econometrics

4 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Go drive a T1 Z71 with twin-tube Ranchos for yourself over the roads I am describing here. 

Look, I get where you're coming from. I know all about the leaf spring excuses for a truck riding poorly. My RST payload is about 100# more than my 2007 RWD 1500 CC, which rode MUCH better in the same conditions. Everyone likes to talk about how the T1 springs are beefier, etc. The reality is, it's not all that much when it comes down to actual payload capacities.

Ceteris paribus, the Ranchos are the key difference for me. So, I'm getting rid of them whenever Bilstein gives me the chance. 

I always have to laugh a little when people state that the Bilsteins offer a greater ride.  They don't. 

3 minutes ago, econometrics said:

That's fine. You will probably be happier with them. Didn't they reduce weight on the T1's?

I have a Z71 and am happy with my stock ride.

Just pointing out that changing the shocks only affect half of your suspension system. People seem to think it solves everything. Don't forget you also have springs under there, which will remain the same.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, aseibel said:

That's fine. You will probably be happier with them. Didn't they reduce weight on the T1's?

I have a Z71 and am happy with my stock ride.

Just pointing out that changing the shocks only affect half of your suspension system. People seem to think it solves everything. Don't forget you also have springs under there, which will remain the same.

??

I’m not sure about the K2 vs T1 curb weight. I think a CC T1 is around 4700#. My 2007 was about 4000. 

7 minutes ago, econometrics said:

I’m not sure about the K2 vs T1 curb weight. I think a CC T1 is around 4700#. My 2007 was about 4000. 

4700 might be for 2wd. I think 4x4 is closer to 5,000.

My 2015 CC curb weight is 5,352 lbs. So that means you would have to throw 650 lbs in the bed to enjoy the same ride as me, lol. But great for fuel efficiency.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

per the other thread, i will also confirm my 4x4 rst z71 on 20's with max trailering handles and rides superb. 

It’s one or the other. Can’t get Z71 and the Max Trailering package together.

• Like 1

Following this thread with interest.... Monday I bought a 19 LTZ Z71,  I would really like to make mine ride just a little smoother like my 18 LTZ. The only 6.2 the dealer had on the lot was a Z71 and the deal was right so I bought it knowing I would want to smooth it out a little.

Trying to research the best ways to soften it up a little.

I carry about 400 lbs of tools in the back of my truck and that helps a little. Maybe I should try another 2-3 hundred lbs.

I only have 800 miles, wanted to drive it a while to see  if it loosens up a bit.

Tom

On 7/24/2019 at 6:09 PM, OnTheReel said:

It’s one or the other. Can’t get Z71 and the Max Trailering package together.

fair enough. But i dont see anything that would drastically affect the ride quality when going from a z71 to max trailering except possibly the tires..

Capture.PNG.e22a9d3b6c63e52eca3b3cdb56bf44bd.PNG