Once again this forum saved me some dough!

Lately my starter seemed to be dragging a bit after the truck sat overnight and fathers day morning it was totally dead so I had to call triple A since my portable jumper died a while back and I haven't replaced it yet. Before jumping he did a quick test that showed 12.6 volts but he said the battery couldn't take a load so most likely it was bad. I got the truck fathers day 3 years ago and figured there was nothing left to pro rate so I'd just buy a new battery. I did a search on the forum here to see what others were using and came across a thread where a member stated his battery went bad before the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty expired and he got it replaced under warranty without a pro rate. I thought just my luck my warranty has probably expired but after checking my paperwork I found I actually had 4 days left! I took the truck in and sure enough the battery only had 28% with a 750 amp load so they replaced it at no charge. :)

The rest of the story on how I saved even more dough...on the way home I heard a clunk under the hood after hitting a bump and when I opened it I immediately saw the battery leaning over (probably should have checked before leaving but who screws up a simple battery install right?!?). A quick peep with my phone flashlight showed the tech failed to hook the bottom of the battery under the tabs on the tray before putting the clamp on as seen in the second picture so the battery was loose. I went back down to the dealership and the service writer said she would have someone fix it as soon as they could. I told her I didn't have time to wait but I was bringing it in for a service in a couple of days so they could fix it then. She asked if it was a paid service and I said yes to which she replied "your service will be on us to make up for your inconvenience!" :cool:

I don't get too excited when stuff goes wrong rather I only care what someone does to fix it and have to give kudos to the dealership for their more than generous offer to make it better than right. :thumbs: I also want to give big thanks to whoever it was that posted about having their battery replaced for free since I would have spent over 300 bucks if I hadn't come across that post! Looks like it's time to find some more mods to do with the dough I saved!  :D

IMG_3332.thumb.JPG.ae59362450f0398276de824413d18e72.JPGIMG_3336.thumb.JPG.8033f7d6de0ca0b44dcd7e5ad45138ea.JPG

Edited by Marv88
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

.... what?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

erased my text but its back now!^^^

2 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

So your battery crapped out and you got it replaced under warranty, they did a bad job and it's loose?

Save yourself the trip, man. It's not hard to secure the battery. Cross brace off if needed for access, shift the battery, tighten clamp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I was going back Thursday to have a service done anyway and they are giving me that free for my inconvenience so might as well let them fix the battery. 

This site saved me also when my 2006 Silverado threw an Evap code, dealer wanted $450+ for the repair because there was an upgrade. Checked here, found a member who got the original part from Rock Auto, a coupe of clamps and a piece of hose.....fixed for $40

• Like 1

My battery died after about a year.  They replaced it under warranty.  Months later I noticed a squeek over bumps.   Could not figure it out.  Sounded like it was coming the from the dash.  After about 6 most it was annoying the shit outta me.  One day, I got out and closed the door and for the first time I heard the noise outside of the truck.   Closed the door a few more times and isolated it to the engine bay.  After wiggling everything around I noticed the battery bracket wasn't tightened down and that's what was making the squeek.  10 seconds with a ratchet solved my months long annoyance. 

• Like 1

Get in the habit of checking things over when you have work done on your vehicles before leaving.

I recently had rear axle seals replaced on my truck because I didn't want to do the job and the price was fair.

I checked it over before leaving. Looked at the diff. cover for leaks and rear brake backing plates for leaks of the brake system.

Drove it around town running errands to see if any issues came up before heading home being it's 30 miles from home.

A few days after having the axle seals replaced I checked their work out myself.

No big deal to me.

Time is a not an issue being retired.

I also wanted to readjust the rear shoes because they were to loose to me.

I found the rear shoes weren't adjusted the same. One side was looser.

I can be OCD or anal fits to. Been called both.

:)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marv88 said:

I don't get too excited when stuff goes wrong rather I only care what someone does to fix it and have to give kudos to the dealership for their more than generous offer to make it better than right. 

Well done!  Mistakes happen and your understanding was recognized!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Get in the habit of checking things over when you have work done on your vehicles before leaving.

I recently had rear axle seals replaced on my truck because I didn't want to do the job and the price was fair.

I checked it over before leaving. Looked at the diff. cover for leaks and rear brake backing plates for leaks of the brake system.

Drove it around town running errands to see if any issues came up before heading home being it's 30 miles from home.

A few days after having the axle seals replaced I checked their work out myself.

No big deal to me.

Time is a not an issue being retired.

I also wanted to readjust the rear shoes because they were to loose to me.

I found the rear shoes weren't adjusted the same. One side was looser.

I can be OCD or anal fits to. Been called both.

:)

I always take the service writer on a tour of the truck to make sure I get it back in the same condition I brought it (only 1 tiny nick and one small ding) and never thought anyone could goof up a simple battery install but you can bet I'll be checking everything over before I leave after the service tomorrow! :)

I always take the service writer on a tour of the truck to make sure I get it back in the same condition I brought it (only 1 tiny nick and one small ding) and never thought anyone could goof up a simple battery install but you can bet I'll be checking everything over before I leave after the service tomorrow! [emoji4]

The two dealers I use take pictures when going in. Then do a walk around going out. You can always request old parts. Most engines are dusty so looking at points of work is easy to spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1