Trailer tire pressure monitor sensor installation and setup

Hi.  I just picked up a 2019 High Country and it came with 4 pressure sensors for a trailer, which apparently the truck can monitor.

I called my local tire store, and they laughed and said that they had no idea what I was talking about and didn't want to get involved.

So I tried my local GMC dealer where I usually get my trucks serviced, and my service advisor had no idea what I was talking about and said that nobody had ever asked them to install and set this system

up.  He said he would discuss with his techs, but I never heard back from him.

Has anybody successfully set this system up?  Wondering who installed the sensors and set up the truck...  How much did it cost, and where did you manage to get it done.

This is a feature I would love to have, but it seems that nobody is willing or able to install the sensors and set up the system.

Any first-hand info would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

Had my local dealer install them.   Took them about 10 minutes with me bringing them the tires.  Charged me $40.   Paired them in about 5 minutes without a tool.   Just let a little air out of tire 1, 2, 3 and them 4 per the on screen instructions until the truck found them.    Works great.   

21 hours ago, 3500AT4 said:

Had my local dealer install them.   Took them about 10 minutes with me bringing them the tires.  Charged me $40.   Paired them in about 5 minutes without a tool.   Just let a little air out of tire 1, 2, 3 and them 4 per the on screen instructions until the truck found them.    Works great.   

Get the relearn tool off Amazon.  $10 to $15.  You'll need it anyway if you rotate your tires.

• 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, mtbgeek said:

If I understand this thread correctly, you can pair the tmps for the trailer while the tires on the trailer and your 7-pin wire is disconnected, through the My Chevrolet app?

Trailering app in the truck is used, not a phone app.

The trailer must be connected to the truck to do the sensor set-up

Original posts were from 2019 when many shops did not know about the new sensors and the truck being able to monitor. 

The trailer sensors transmit temperature and pressure data to the truck app.

To 'learn' the sensors on the truck, a teach tool is required. 

To 'learn ' the trailer sensors, use the trailering app in the truck. (there is both a 'manual' method and a 'teach tool' method)

It can have sensors 'learned' for more than one trailer.  (Up to 6 per trailer)

There are multiple pages in the OM with info regarding what the trailering app is able to do and what is necessary to configure those features.

First section of the instructions:

Trailer Tire Pressure Setup

If the Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TTPMS) is detected, touch the Tire Pressure Monitoring icon to set up tire
pressure monitoring. Touch Yes to set up the sensors or touch No to return to the previous screen.

The trailer tire pressure sensors can transmit up to 7 m (23 feet) from the hitch receiver of the vehicle.

A trailer must be electrically connected to the vehicle before starting the sensor-to-vehicle learn process.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1