Tire advice for trucks with 6.2

I like the fact that my 6.2 has lots of power and actually does get good gas mileage. I can run 65/70 and easily get 23-25mpg. I’m about to upgrade tires and looking for recommendations.  I know I’ll lose some mpg and possibly low end power, but I don’t want to turn my beast of a truck into a turd. 

I currently have stock 275/55r20 (31.9x10.8) on stock “snowflake” rims with Bilstein 2” strut/shock upgrade. 

3 tire sizes I’m interested in:  

275/60r20 (33x10.8)

285/55r20 (32.3x11.2)

295/55r20 (32.8x11.6)

If I had my way, I’d throw a 305/55r20 on there but I know I’d kill my power. I know this because I have 295/55r18 on my Ford and I ended up doing a gear swap from .373 to .456 to bet my power back. 

I’m in the real estate business. I buy and sell farm and recreational land so I put lots of hwy miles on this GMC yet still need a tire to get me in and out of places on the farm and pull a tractor when I need to. I have trucks to mudbogg in, looking for practicality here. 

Really hoping to to hear from guys with 6.2s.

Thanks in advance. 

The closer you stay to 32x11 on a lighter tire and factory wheel the better you will maintain your current mpg. Ay tire that weighs over 45~50lbs will impact /hurt mileage. Terra grappler G2's are a light A/T tire I would look into if you want more tire but don't want a heavy hybrid All terrain/mud terrain. 

Weight and diameter are not your mpg friends. 

• Like 2

I put 35s on mine expecting a huge loss in accelleration and was pretty damn surprised how quick the truck still is on stock 3.23 gearing. The 8 speed took a few days to learn but works pretty well now. Avg MPG is down about 15% after lift/tires.

8 hours ago, kennerz said:

I don't work for Nitto (they just make a great variety of solid tires) but they have a 4 ply 305/55r20 ridge grappler that is 50 lbs, not 65. like most of the others.

These would work ok if he didn't plan on using his truck for anything but transportation.  Throw a load in the back or tow and I wouldn't recommend a 4ply tire for that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Go 35's but your speeds you travel is a grave concern. Anyone traveling only 65-70 has no business being on the highway. Please stick to the back roads to get your fuel mileage and let traffic flow on the highways.

Haha I guess you're "that guy" on here aren't you?  I guess I should just turn in my drivers license then, especially since my primary driving is 45-55mph highways in east Arkansas where there is a state trooper every few miles.  You being a senior enthusiast, what is your recommended speed for a 55mph Arkansas highway just to help me out?  I'd also like to know the proper speed in which to take a selfie... which I'm sure you do plenty of.  Also, is there a specific color tank top that looks best?  Should angle the camera up or down?  Duck face?  

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Haha I guess you're "that guy" on here aren't you?  I guess I should just turn in my drivers license then, especially since my primary driving is 45-55mph highways in east Arkansas where there is a state trooper every few miles.  You being a senior enthusiast, what is your recommended speed for a 55mph Arkansas highway just to help me out?  I'd also like to know the proper speed in which to take a selfie... which I'm sure you do plenty of.  Also, is there a specific color tank top that looks best?  Should angle the camera up or down?  Duck face?  
Thanks in advance.
Hahahahaha

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, sigmonster said:

I just got the 275/60-20 Michelin LTX and love them.

Excellent ride and little impact om MPG (esp when you consider they have a 3% larger tire circumference)

I really just started considering the 275/60 and the more I read about them the more I like them.  I do like a wide tire, I think the meat looks good from behind.  I also know that the wide and rolling resistance will hurt me too.  I've also heard the wider tire can wear the electronic steering out too, even though I think I could get by with the others potentially with no issues.  The 275/60 certainly does a good job at filling the wheel well.  Thank you for the response!  

4 hours ago, m3n00b said:

I put 35s on mine expecting a huge loss in accelleration and was pretty damn surprised how quick the truck still is on stock 3.23 gearing. The 8 speed took a few days to learn but works pretty well now. Avg MPG is down about 15% after lift/tires.

This is very good info!  I'm not a big fan of these new transmissions.  I was told that didn't matter what I was pulling; whether it was my duck boat, SxS, or a tractor to alway run in tow/haul mode because the transmissions were weak and have heard some in my circle confirm it.  I try to use our 3/4 tons the most I can but sometimes I just don't want to go get one.  

I know about this relearning deal because mine took a spell where it was jerking real at take off, almost like it was hung between gears.  I took it to the dealer and they reset my transmission and told me it would take a few days for it to learn my driving style.  Did you have yours reset, or did it just do it own its own?

This is very good info!  I'm not a big fan of these new transmissions.  I was told that didn't matter what I was pulling; whether it was my duck boat, SxS, or a tractor to alway run in tow/haul mode because the transmissions were weak and have heard some in my circle confirm it.  I try to use our 3/4 tons the most I can but sometimes I just don't want to go get one.  

I know about this relearning deal because mine took a spell where it was jerking real at take off, almost like it was hung between gears.  I took it to the dealer and they reset my transmission and told me it would take a few days for it to learn my driving style.  Did you have yours reset, or did it just do it own its own?
No reset. It just leaned on it's own.

3 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Do 6.2's have or use different tires than 5.3's? Based on the thread title it sounds like they do and you are looking for a specific tire for the 6.2?

Tyler

No, they can both come with the same wheels and tires.  I’ve have both the 5.3 and 6.2. There is a significant difference in the way they run, particularly with the multi displacement engine (v4/v8 swapping) and the 6.2 gets worlds better gas mileage, for me anyway. For that reason I could definitely see instances that even a 33” tire might hurt a 5.3 and not be as noticeable on a 6.2 truck. I could feel the difference just with a 285/55r20 on the 5.3. 

Edited by Cjc16