Service Trailer Tire Pressure Mgmt System

u really don't need tpms tool to do trailer tires set mine up yesterday very easy just let air out of tire till horn honks then go to the next,,
was gonna order tool until I read owners manual..
Wow. Read the owner's manual, who does that? Glad that worked. I had the TPMS tool already for rotating my tires so it's a good $20 investment anyway as I don't think the let the air out truck works on the regular truck tires anymore unless they added that feature back for the 19s.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Gospel truth Member. I just did it this way on my 2019 Sierra and after reading the instructions in the owners manual and hitching up to the my single axel utility trailer, it took about 5 minutes following the prompts on the screen. In my case I did not have to re-create the trailer profile. I poked around until I found the option to add TPMS sensors, then chose a two wheel trailer and went immediately into setup. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I just read my owners manual (last resort, right?!) for my 2019 Silverado 1500 and I agree with Trwtow, there is a manual method of programming the trailer TPMS components by increasing or decreasing the tire air for 10 seconds. I'll be doing this later this week. It also says that the trailer must be electrically hooked up to the truck. This is a great feature of the Chevy's! My truck also has the trailer brake gain factory installed and THAT is also an excellent feature!

Side note, I've hauled close to the gross max weight (14,800 lbs) up and down mountains from NC to South Dakota and it performed flawlessly! Cruising at 70 and rpm's about 1800! Fuel mileage average was 10-12, not good BUT it got the job done. I didn't have leveling bags and wished I had. I ended up having those installed once I arrived in SD.

Thanks to all entries to this post.....I am going to bookmark this for when I use our trailer TPMS units in a travel trailer and use all of the suggestions/trials in this forum!!!!?

• 6 months later...

Thanks to this forum I finally got my TTPM Sensors working. I bought sensors from eBay and received sensors with a different part number.  They wouldn't learn.  Contacted seller and he said these parts will work and has had no complaints.  So I tried again, jacking up one side of trailer so I could spin the wheels. It worked! So I learned the rear wheel while spinning the tire and went to the other side that was not jacked up and they learned anyway.  Problem was that I never heard a chirp of any kind from the truck horn or saw flashing lights.  Maybe because the driver door was open??  This should not be as hard as it is.

Great!!  How do you like the 3L diesel?  I almost bought one but payload forced me into a 2500.  What's your mpg?  Solo and towing? 

2 hours ago, jeffkirk66 said:

Great!!  How do you like the 3L diesel?  I almost bought one but payload forced me into a 2500.  What's your mpg?  Solo and towing? 

Loving the diesel.  MPG on a recent drive - cruise set at 78 mph and averaged 25 mpg.  Towing a tall enclosed trailer about 13 mpg.  Simple comparison:  At least 25% better towing mpg and close to 40% better on the highway mpg.   I had a 19 with a 6.2L as a direct comparison.

Edited by steve841

• 1 month later...

Question, I can't find an answer to this online.

When towing and wanting to view the trailer pressures/temps, is your only option to click through the head unit?

Can you view it on your cluster under one of the pages? Does it show temp and pressure on the cluster, if yes?

Anyone know if you can set an alarm pressure or if there's some sort of alert system if you get a low pressure tire?

I'm trying to decide to go with the OEM tire pressure system, or save about $20 and go with a tire minder setup, which is a dedicated device and doesn't require remounting the tire to install the sensors. It has an alarm system, and could be moved between vehicles if I loan my trailer.

Edited by Jonofmac

Anyone know if you have to buy the $150/pair GM Trailer Sensors (part # 84338125) or could you use another aftermarket sensor (that would be much cheaper).  I need at least 4 for one trailer and another 4 for another trailer.   My 2020 has the U1D option - Advanced Trailering Package where I can view the trailer’s tire pressure (and temp evidently).   

Is it possible to get an aftermarket that will connect to the ATP?

Yes, you can get after market sensors.  Refer to previous posts from me and others. I got mine from eBay for $60 per pair.  Bought the part number but got sensors with a different number.  I was assured they were the same item.  They did work but the horn didn't sound after being learned.  But they do work. 

26 minutes ago, jeffkirk66 said:

Yes, you can get after market sensors.  Refer to previous posts from me and others. I got mine from eBay for $60 per pair.  Bought the part number but got sensors with a different number.  I was assured they were the same item.  They did work but the horn didn't sound after being learned.  But they do work. 

Just saw your other post.   Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

What psi are you guys running? Or does anyone know what the max is with the OEM sensors?  I have a single axle travel trailer with Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. Which I purposely bought for extra protection it's a load range D tire but to achieve max load I need to run 65psi which caused me to pay extra for brass valve stems.  I'd like to use the tpms sensors but like others have stated everyone locally look at me like I'm crazy when I ask about it.

Just wondering if I go through the hassle of taking tires off and getting senors installed if I'm going to be able to run 65psi with this plastic valve stems.  

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Seems like tire place would have installed metal or the new non-metal valve stem used for Load Range D tires when the tires were mounted.  But pressure depends on the weight of your trailer.  GoodYear has a table for weight vs tire pressure.  That's a start.  I had a small 20 ft single axle trailer that weighed about 4,000 lbs and aired my Endurance tires to 55 psi.  Seemed to work fine. I say experiment and chalk them to determine even tread wear at given pressure.

• 9 months later...

Just some tips for those still troubleshooting their TPMS connection if it doesn't work after following manual:

1.  If you need the larger size TPMS, Nichols Manufacturing out of Phoenix makes an adapter kit.  They are pricey, but they work!  I first tried using some from NAPA, but they didn't fit my rim thickness.  The Nichols Manufacturing ones worked perfectly.

2.  If you are not able to get a signal using the air down method, buy the cheap tool on Amazon referenced in this thread.  That worked for me, but only after completing the next steps:

3.  I had to rotate each tire so that the valve stem faced forward.

4.  And I had to back my truck up so that the rear was facing the trailer.  I wasn't hooked up to the fifth wheel as we were staying in it.  Didn't want to go through leveling, removing the tri-leg stand in the front etc.  First, I tried pulling up next to the trailer but was facing opposite direction.  Then it dawned on me that it may be directional.  Not confirmed, but it only worked once I turned the truck around and backed up as close to the trailer as I could.

You may have better results than me.  I had another 5th wheel with this setup and it worked flawlessly using the air down method, but that trailer was 38 feet long.  This one is 43 foot long.