First oil change

I took my truck to the dealership after 1,500KM's as I was always told to change after the 1000 KM's break in period. They turned me away and said it is no longer done that way. Come back at 10,000 KM's.

22 minutes ago, Taz56 said:

I took my truck to the dealership after 1,500KM's as I was always told to change after the 1000 KM's break in period. They turned me away and said it is no longer done that way. Come back at 10,000 KM's.

If they tell me that I’ll do an oil change myself in their parking lot.

I used one of the 4 free changes in my last truck and will probably do the same on this one. It should’ve matter when I want it done, just do it.

Edited by dw91

I always change oil near 1000 miles for the first time,  just took delivery on my 2020 Denali and have made an appointment for the service next week.  I have only 500 miles now and expect a few hundred more by change time then the changes will be every 3000 thereafter.   GM now puts synthetic in their vehicles and I have always used Mobil 1 having all services done at the dealership.

I always change oil near 1000 miles for the first time,  just took delivery on my 2020 Denali and have made an appointment for the service next week.  I have only 500 miles now and expect a few hundred more by change time then the changes will be every 3000 thereafter.   GM now puts synthetic in their vehicles and I have always used Mobil 1 having all services done at the dealership.

Just thought you should know. Full Synthetic is NOT 100% Synthetic. Amsoil Signature Series IS 100% Synthetic. In case you’re interested, Amsoil quarts are $10 each, last I check Mobil1 Annual Protection is 6425b37843528741ab92f0fac7ab3056.jpg Amsoil is 4X better in engine protection than Mobil1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I usually use the frame to jack up my truck.  I don't like lying on the concert floor. I prefer using the creeper so i can slid about and look at other parts of my truck. I consider being under the car a luxury and not a chore. And I sure don't mine lying there and looking at nuts a bolts. Although I do agree with lifting the truck to allow more room for my guts ??

Does anyone buy the 1qt bottles. Why not getting the 5qt jugs? More economical. I think these trucks takes 8qt. Mobile 1 5qt is ~ $23 and the 1qt bottle is ~ $8 so it make more sense to buy the 5qt one and you will have 2qt extra for next time. These are wallyland prices  at my neck of the woods

• Like 1

TXGREEK,    I am one who over services his vehicles, until five or six years ago I did most of the work myself because the dealer did not do as nice a job as I.   Now that I am a senior ( politically correct for “ old as dirt” it is hard to get up and down or lay on my back under the vehicle.  I purchase from a “hometown” dealer and they are very friendly to my Westie and me.  GM recommends Mobil One and being a creature of habit once I started using it some years ago I probably  will not change short of a world wide shortage, my vehicles run super fine on Mobil One consequently I am quite content, price being of no consequence.  I am currently on my fifth Canyon pick up and have yet to seek out the service department for anything but recalls and service leaving me to believe my maintenance schedule is in fact working.

A friend of mine long ago began using Amsoil and a toilet paper filter on his Dodge pick up, after many many miles he would change the oil and filter.  Amsoil and his TP only lasted for 260,000 miles when the transmission and rear end finally gave up and the truck went off to the Great wrecking yard, the engine he boasted had never been touched internally and was still going strong when the rest of the truck died ( he used Amsoil in the transmission and rear end also.   So no disparaging comments on Amsoil here I just like the warm fuzzys Mobil One gives me.   Oh,  I also have the dealership trained to wipe off any residue they put on my engine or undercarriage, taking the truck back and having it done over one time  convinced them to do the job right the first time.....that was five  years ago and I still check but find they are doing everything expected.

GM maintains a list of the oils that meet the current Dexos specs.

For gassers that use Dexos1 Gen2 the (long) list is here:

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html 

There are currently only 2 approved DexosD oils for the 3.0L 

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexosd/index.html

The 6.6L Dmax does not use DexosD.

It calls for CJ-4 or CK-4  15W-40 

Love Amsoil, I’m in the club, and buy it by the case for my boat(s). That said, my truck gets the normal Mobil 1 from Walmart at $23.00 per 5qt jug. If a person hates money and/or wanted to be really loving and gracious to their truck, the Mobil 1 AP is $35 or so per jug. Still a good chunk cheaper than Amsoil, and both are certainly a great, well proven product through more UOAs I can remember reading over the years.

The other elephant in the room is...realistically for how often myself and a lot of others here trade up...doing anything more than following GM intervals, and using an oil other than Delco or M1 is just a waste of money, time and often a waste of perfectly good oil. Even worse if you do pay up for Amsoil and then dump it early.

If you plan on keeping the thing forever, maybe, maybe it makes sense to go the extra mile, even though it’s impossible to prove, and you can never rule out something catastrophic happening no matter what.

Follow whatever superstition helps you sleep at night...needlessly short drain intervals, using the wrong viscosity the engine was designed for, expensive oil, whatever. We all have our things. ?

My granddaughter call me the other day about a steering problem on her 08 300. The wheel was jerking she says. She asked me about changing the power steering fluid. I told her it was probably the pump. Then explain the easy way to change the fluid. She later text it seems to be working. I told her to do again later to be sure the fluid was mostly good. Her mother bought the car new gave to her for college. I ask the mileage. It has over 200K miles. Oil gets changed once a year maybe twice at a quick lube. Never a transmission service or anything else. The only repair recently. Fan blades came apart put a hole in the radiator. I believe most people do their vehicles this way. There’re tougher than we give them credit. Well maybe not the cylinder deactivation engines. Too much going on there.

7 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My granddaughter call me the other day about a steering problem on her 08 300. The wheel was jerking she says. She asked me about changing the power steering fluid. I told her it was probably the pump. Then explain the easy way to change the fluid. She later text it seems to be working. I told her to do again later to be sure the fluid was mostly good. Her mother bought the car new gave to her for college. I ask the mileage. It has over 200K miles. Oil gets changed once a year maybe twice at a quick lube. Never a transmission service or anything else. The only repair recently. Fan blades came apart put a hole in the radiator. I believe most people do their vehicles this way. There’re tougher than we give them credit. Well maybe not the cylinder deactivation engines. Too much going on there.

Since your granddaughter is in collage I am going to assume you are 60+ of age and therefore remeber cars from the 60s and 70s - I think your argument about car being good does not apply to that era - I would say mid to late 80's is when cars become very good and anything after that is just an minute incremental change that is not necessarily have a lot of impact on average users. back in the 90s I was working in Saudi Arabia and I bought a 1998 Chevy Malibu and put close to 200k+ trouble free miles on it 3.1L V6 - came back to the State and bought the wife a 2001 Buick Century (same car just different shell) before she hit 100k we got a head gasket issue, the reason is basically weather - temp in ND fluctuated between -30°F to 90°F winter is hard on equipment - another factor driving habits, highway driven cars tend to last longer for various reasons - so yeah you might get by changing the oil once every 10k and nothing else but that but it all depend on where you live and how you drive. my 0.2 anyway

Edited by Moend
missing info

14 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Love Amsoil, I’m in the club, and buy it by the case for my boat(s). That said, my truck gets the normal Mobil 1 from Walmart at $23.00 per 5qt jug. If a person hates money and/or wanted to be really loving and gracious to their truck, the Mobil 1 AP is $35 or so per jug. Still a good chunk cheaper than Amsoil, and both are certainly a great, well proven product through more UOAs I can remember reading over the years.

The other elephant in the room is...realistically for how often myself and a lot of others here trade up...doing anything more than following GM intervals, and using an oil other than Delco or M1 is just a waste of money, time and often a waste of perfectly good oil. Even worse if you do pay up for Amsoil and then dump it early.

If you plan on keeping the thing forever, maybe, maybe it makes sense to go the extra mile, even though it’s impossible to prove, and you can never rule out something catastrophic happening no matter what.

Follow whatever superstition helps you sleep at night...needlessly short drain intervals, using the wrong viscosity the engine was designed for, expensive oil, whatever. We all have our things. ?

Nailed it - I watched a video weeks ago about a guy test out oils and such and he actually concluded that supertech is better than M1 now that being said its better based on his test (I will try to find the video and link it) - GM manual said to change it every 3000 miles or when the engine minder tell you so (I think 5k is the sweet spot) a bit early but not too early based on my  calculating - it all depend how you are using the truck, if it is a mall worrier then heck maybe 10k. but if you pull with it then i would say 3-5k is not a bad idea - after all we spend 40+k on these things what is an extra $40 a year 'practically nothing' that is %1 of the overall price of the truck in 10years span.

Since your granddaughter is in collage I am going to assume you are 60+ of age and therefore remeber cars from the 60s and 70s - I think your argument about car being good does not apply to that era - I would say mid to late 80's is when cars become very good and anything after that is just an minute incremental change that is not necessarily have a lot of impact on average users. back in the 90s I was working in Saudi Arabia and I bought a 1998 Chevy Malibu and put close to 200k+ trouble free miles on it 3.1L V6 - came back to the State and bought the wife a 2001 Buick Century (same car just different shell) before she hit 100k we got a head gasket issue, the reason is basically weather - temp in ND fluctuated between -30°F to 90°F winter is hard on equipment - another factor driving habits, highway driven cars tend to last longer for various reasons - so yeah you might get by changing the oil once every 10k and nothing else but that but it all depend on where you live and how you drive. my 0.2 anyway

Most of your non domestic cars are going 10K oil changes. I’m mostly extended with oil with some exceptions. DIs, cylinder deactivation engines around 5K. Yes I owned a few 60s-70s vehicles. My first a 73 RX3 my second 74 barracuda. Many performance vehicles, a little drag racing. Made better now, of course. GM-Ford has jumped the shark in my opinion, mostly. Not interested in their new gimmicks.Love my 92 Chevy truck. Probably my last GM. Unless they come out with a rear drive Malibu size sedan with a straight all time V-8 non cylinder deactivation. Don’t see that happening.

38 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Most of your non domestic cars are going 10K oil changes. I’m mostly extended with oil with some exceptions. DIs, cylinder deactivation engines around 5K. Yes I owned a few 60s-70s vehicles. My first a 73 RX3 my second 74 barracuda. Many performance vehicles, a little drag racing. Made better now, of course. GM-Ford has jumped the shark in my opinion, mostly. Not interested in their new gimmicks.Love my 92 Chevy truck. Probably my last GM. Unless they come out with a rear drive Malibu size sedan with a straight all time V-8 non cylinder deactivation. Don’t see that happening.

I liked those Mazdas from the 70s. Don't get me wrong. I like older cars. The design back then was very spectacular but that is it. cars now a days are better by long shot, I mean you driven old cars they stop like crap they broke easy and performance wasn't there and if it was, it was delivered in a very scary way :). I do agree new gimmicky stuff are bad but think about it this way back in the days people didn't want electric windowes because they broke down easily now a days they can't live without them. 

• Like 1