First oil change

Did my first one today.  Mobil 1, of course. 5100 miles, "30% life remaining".   Got a 2500+ mile planned for next week so it was time.  Pulled the front skid plate and looked around up in there while I was at it.  I like the orientation of the drain plug, goes straight down instead of sideways, and the filter is right there, easy to get the drain pan in the right spot without "accidents".  Rolled the floor jack in from the right side and caught the cross member on the back side of the skid plate using a block of wood and put the stands on the outside frame rails.  Worked great.  

So, with a new Silverado, its better to change the oil before 5,000 miles?

I just figured I would change my oil and rotate my tires every 5,000 miles.

Of course, the dealership recommended 7,500 miles on the tire rotation.

I have just about 600 miles on mine now. 

And, I'll change it at 700 miles. Just wandering why an early initial oil change is so beneficial. 

Please excuse my ignorance gang, I'm not, nor really ever have been mechanically inclined. 

I really appreciate the 411 I can gather from yall though!

Also, as we all know the 1st oil change is on the house. But, from what I understand, my GM dealership uses AC Delco oil. Would yall be good with that, if yall were me? 

Or, would you opt for Mobil 1?

I'm thinkin its prolly better to opt for the Mobil1

What say yall?

Edited by MacLaren

I have always changed oil in a new vehicle around 1000 and every 3000 thereafter, use Mobil 1 for every change.   I have never had to return to a dealer with engine problems, I like to think my over maintenance is partially to blame.

1 hour ago, MacLaren said:

So, with a new Silverado, its better to change the oil before 5,000 miles?

I just figured I would change my oil and rotate my tires every 5,000 miles.

Of course, the dealership recommended 7,500 miles on the tire rotation.

I have just about 600 miles on mine now. 

And, I'll change it at 700 miles. Just wandering why an early initial oil change is so beneficial. 

Please excuse my ignorance gang, I'm not, nor really ever have been mechanically inclined. 

I really appreciate the 411 I can gather from yall though!

Also, as we all know the 1st oil change is on the house. But, from what I understand, my GM dealership uses AC Delco oil. Would yall be good with that, if yall were me? 

Or, would you opt for Mobil 1?

I'm thinkin its prolly better to opt for the Mobil1

What say yall?

I say you’re overthinking it. Guarantee you 99.9% of the buying public isn’t dumping oil after 500 or 1000 miles, so to me it seems like a non-issue, or engines wouldn’t be living as long as they do anyway. 

Personally, I don’t pretend to know better than the manufacturer, I just follow the book. My first oil change on all my trucks has been at around 6 months or 6000. Granted I don’t keep them forever but not many people do, and nobody yet has shown proof that dumping the factory fill early will lead to a longer engine life. The debate will go on until the end of time. 

In regards to the AC Delco..it is full synthetic and every bit as good as Mobil 1. Plus it’s free...

• Like 3

On the early changes, this is something I heard years ago. I don't know how valid it is still these days (the last time I really looked into it, and performed an early change, was on a motorcycle I bought 12 years ago). Early changes are usually done because when an engine is new you can have some very tight tolerances, leading to some metal shavings making their way into the oil. You want to run the engine long enough to get things seated, then change it to get those shavings out of there. I think I did my first oil change on that motorcycle at 500 miles.

As for me, I plan on my first change at 5,000, and changing every 5,000 after that. I'll take the free oil change, then do the rest on my own using Mobil 1.

On 6/6/2019 at 10:50 AM, Windmill Greaser said:

Speaking of Oil changes . I always get six free oil changes and Truck wash in the deal when I purchase . The Dealer can easily hide those costs and always do it no problem 

Oil changes, yes. I wouldn't let the dealer wash my truck if they paid me to do it. Welcome to swirl mark hell. 

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2019 at 8:31 PM, Moend said:

So I did an oil change for the first time at the house. Got some M1 full synthetic 0w-20 for my 5.3 V8. Opened the old oil filter and it looked in decent shape. No metal particles to speak of. Oil was really dark tho.

Figured I share my experience

Thank you

Going to be doing another one this week end @5k miles. Will report back with photos and finding. 

5 hours ago, BenThere said:

Did my first one today.  Mobil 1, of course. 5100 miles, "30% life remaining".   Got a 2500+ mile planned for next week so it was time.  Pulled the front skid plate and looked around up in there while I was at it.  I like the orientation of the drain plug, goes straight down instead of sideways, and the filter is right there, easy to get the drain pan in the right spot without "accidents".  Rolled the floor jack in from the right side and caught the cross member on the back side of the skid plate using a block of wood and put the stands on the outside frame rails.  Worked great.  

I do agree. Sounds like all fluids are easy to change. The only potential pain in the butt one is the transmission as I can't seem to find the automatic transmission fluid dip stick to save my life.

I just did my free oil change after 4 months and 3000 miles. I felt it was a good compromise between some who claim 1000 for the first change and those who do 5000. 

This is is my first new vehicle, so I just split the difference and went in at 3K. 

I did my first free one at 3500 miles I believe. Just hit 7k after going on a long road trip so I’ll be doing it soon. I’ll probably get the fumoto valve before hand so life is easier in the future. If only I could remember the part #. Do you guys really prefer full synthetic over the synthetic blend? I usually go synthetic but was thinking maybe not this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run whatever meets the specs that are required. It seems silly to not run the "full synthetic" that is offered by Valvoline, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Penzoil etc etc, the costs are nearly all the same or often cheaper when some are on sale or bought at say a walmart store that always has great deals on oil.

99.9% of the buying public didn't buy my truck and unlike the leasing or trade when the warranty is out public I drive them till they drop. My world isn't use and toss. My world is buy and maintain. What proof could be offered to prove early changes extend life if 99.9% of the buying public neither maintains nor holds on to them long enough to find out?

Compared to most people I actually know I have bought about 1/3 the transportation and drive them 3 times longer in five decades plus of driving. It's proof enough for me. I change early, change often and buy the best I can afford. The periods of time when I have had less ability to buy better I change more often.

Feel free to argue in print but life happens in reality.

:seeya:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2019 at 11:58 AM, Philipgonzales3 said:

I will also be doing my oil early.  Around 1500 miles.  Currently just below $800.  I'm a believer in it can't hurt, only help.  Then every 5K.  I believe all of the 2019's come without a dipstick for the transmission fluid.  I believe special tooling is required to replace the ATF fluid.  Not really sure what's involved with that.  I don't believe there is a drain like on most older vehicles where you could drain and fill it yourself.  

Apparently all new GMs, and other vehicles, are going this way. No dipstick on my Traverse of other new front drive transaxles.....have to remove case bots to measure, fill and drain.........claim maintenance free and no need to check fluid condition or level unless you see a leak.

• Like 1

I’ve owned lots of trucks and cars. Until the last couple I’ve gone extended mostly with Amsoil. I’ve never changed early, ever. Some of my early trucks were pullers with goose neck trailers. The DI and cylinder deactivation engines made me nervous so I used the extreme service schedule. Kinda defeats the gas savings the claim. I’ve never lost an engine, even the ones I’d take to the track. Add to that I had a clearing and equipment resale business. Hundreds of equipment when through my fingers. In the 90s we double the hours on our equipment with synthetics. Save us loads of money. No engine loss. Do the math. Over the lifetime of early oil changes how much money does it cost? Enough to buy an engine? I had a similar experience with tire rotation. I usually would go 10K rotations. They recommended 5K. I could buy tires with the extra rotation cost in the average life of the tires. I happened to be looking at push mowers recently. Briggs is advertising never changing the oil in their engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Moend said:

I do agree. Sounds like all fluids are easy to change. The only potential pain in the butt one is the transmission as I can't seem to find the automatic transmission fluid dip stick to save my life.

The front differential isn't easy to change.  No drain plug like on the K2's and older.  Why they eliminated it is probably to save money like always.  Just like getting rid of the drain plug on the transmission pans and rear axle.  Love my 2002 Silverado for all those reasons.  Drain plugs everywhere. :)