First oil change

Just now, Moend said:

Actually the 2016 didn't have a drain plug and it I had to drop the oil pan. But yesterday I saw what looks like a drain plug on the transmission pan. To switch out the filter you will have to drop the pan. For filling might be like my old F150 there is a fill plug with crappy dipstick that can be reached from underneath with 3 degree burn because they decided to put it by the catalyst converter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Hmm, maybe if you end up doing it, you could snap a few pics.  Would be helpful for the less mechanically inclined like myself.  I can follow a guide, just not good at figuring stuff out on my own lol.  

• Like 1

Hmm, maybe if you end up doing it, you could snap a few pics.  Would be helpful for the less mechanically inclined like myself.  I can follow a guide, just not good at figuring stuff out on my own lol.  
Yeah I will definitely keep that in mind. I know I don't want to change the filter at first maybe at 45k but before winter I might drain it and fill it. I ran my F150 90k miles before I did any drive line oil change. In my defense ford manual called for 100k miles before any of them changed. I think Chevy calls for 45k I can double check. But oil is cheap and would like to do a change before winter

Ah good to know,  I assumed 100K, but even then like you said better to do it early than later I would think.

first link that came up in google.  Was too lazy to crack open the manual, even if there is a digital version lol. 

https://www.diverchev.com/chevy-silverado-1500-maintenance-schedule-de

"At 45,000 miles, or roughly four years, your engine air cleaner filter will need replacing and your automatic transmission fluid will need to be changed. Additionally, if your gross vehicle weight rating is under 8,600 pounds, then your transfer case fluid will need to be changed."

2 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I just rolled over 500 miles going to change mine this weekend and add a magnetic drain plug

Ryan B.

It doesn't come with a magnetic drain plug?!?   Where did you get yours?   Thanks for the info! 

Is anyone still using fumoto oil drain valves?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That is one of the reasons I didn't want to buy a ford. I feel those type of drain plug are not reliable. I never tried so I can't say for sure

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Smitty said:

It doesn't come with a magnetic drain plug?!?   Where did you get yours?   Thanks for the info! 

No 2000s were the last time they were offered.  I put either dorman or I used dimple for my car and bought one for my truck

https://www.drainplugmagnets.com/

• Like 1

Is anyone still using fumoto oil drain valves?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I swapped my drain plug for the Fumoto Valve on my 2019 Sierra 6.2. I had one on my 2007 Silverado for over 100,000 miles. It never leaked and made my oil changes quick and easy!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Moend said:

That is one of the reasons I didn't want to buy a ford. I feel those type of drain plug are not reliable. I never tried so I can't say for sure

From what I'm reading on the Ford forums the plastic oil pans they have been using leak so badly a drain plug really isn't needed.  Ford has started using metal pans on their newer trucks because of the issue.  The F150 is a nice truck, but every time I think about considering one for my next purchase there's always some issue out there, usually engine related, that gives me pause.

10 hours ago, bowtie2007 said:

I swapped my drain plug for the Fumoto Valve on my 2019 Sierra 6.2. I had one on my 2007 Silverado for over 100,000 miles. It never leaked and made my oil changes quick and easy!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have one on my 2002 at 188k no issues.  Putting one on my 2019 when I do my next oil change. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

From what I'm reading on the Ford forums the plastic oil pans they have been using leak so badly a drain plug really isn't needed.  Ford has started using metal pans on their newer trucks because of the issue.  The F150 is a nice truck, but every time I think about considering one for my next purchase there's always some issue out there, usually engine related, that gives me pause.

My last 6 trucks were Fords. 2 F250 Deisels and 4 F150's. For 2018, they really screwed up the 5.0L. Nice looking truck, but between the plastic oil pan, using a qt of oil every 3K, and the horrible transmission shifting, I traded it in after only 8 months. So far I'm very happy with my AT4 6.2L. Will be doing first oil at 2K.

I have one on my 2002 at 188k no issues.  Putting one on my 2019 when I do my next oil change. 
After my free oil change is done, I'll put one on mine too

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On 6/4/2019 at 5:37 PM, FDHog said:

My last 6 trucks were Fords. 2 F250 Deisels and 4 F150's. For 2018, they really screwed up the 5.0L. Nice looking truck, but between the plastic oil pan, using a qt of oil every 3K, and the horrible transmission shifting, I traded it in after only 8 months. So far I'm very happy with my AT4 6.2L. Will be doing first oil at 2K.

That is right there what steered away from the F150 plus the price was not so great

Speaking of Oil changes . I always get six free oil changes and Truck wash in the deal when I purchase . The Dealer can easily hide those costs and always do it no problem