Duration of Auto Stop

Random question for those of you who have not disabled auto-stop or turn it off every time you fire up your 2019... 

How long does it keep the truck off for you? 

I tend to turn mine off sometimes, but leave it on sometimes. It seems it always only keeps the engine off a similar maximum amount of time... somewhere between 30 and 45 seconds. I've never had it stay off longer than this. 

I have the AC on when it does stay off that long, but it's barely running. 

Just curious what others are experiencing with it? 

Seems to me that if it's only going to stop the truck for 30-45 seconds, it ain't saving the environment a whole lot of exhaust, nor saving my truck a whole lot of fuel consumption to boost my MPG. 

I hit the two minute maximum regularly in the drive thru but we are in a cooler climate here and the days I do use AC it’s closer to your experience.

Even if you have your AC barely on, it’s going to need the compressor before too long. The system doesn’t retain it’s cool very long without it and humidity would be another factor.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Seems to me that if it's only going to stop the truck for 30-45 seconds, it ain't saving the environment a whole lot of exhaust, nor saving my truck a whole lot of fuel consumption to boost my MPG. 

Idling for more than 10 seconds burns more fuel than re-starting it.

So any time it is off for more than 10 seconds, you are netting a fuel savings.

• Like 1

My 2.7 can't make it through a light cycle without having to fire up. When the engine switches off, you can literally watch the voltage gauge drop.

Given my recent electrical issues, I still don't feel this is right.

On 5/29/2019 at 1:53 PM, Joe's 2017 Silverado said:

Nice, you save a little gas, but what about the wear and tear on the starter and other components. They used to say the worst thing you do to your car every day is start it. Mine has been disabled since the first week I bought it.

BTW, the ASS in my F150 had a habit of occasionally stalling out my truck till I disabled it.

Like others have implied, AC demand seems like the biggest influence.  On my way into work when its n the 50s outside the auto stop functions for long intervals. 

When its sunny and 75 outside on the way home and the AC has to get all that solar gain out of the cabin the periods can be pretty brief.

• 2 weeks later...

Even after all of the electrical work and such mine still can't make it more than 30 seconds or so without restarting - even with the HVAC totally off.

I can literally watch the voltage gauge drop when the engine turns off. Does anyone else notice this? I am questioning if I have a weak battery or such.

17 minutes ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

Even after all of the electrical work and such mine still can't make it more than 30 seconds or so without restarting - even with the HVAC totally off.

I can literally watch the voltage gauge drop when the engine turns off. Does anyone else notice this? I am questioning if I have a weak battery or such.

My voltage goes pretty low sometimes but my auto stop can last more than 30sec too.  My anecdotal observation is duration seems most related to the delta between ambient temp and cabin set temp.

20190610_062216.jpg

Start stop is dumb and should be a $1 option if you want that waste of fuel and time and parts. Unless you drive 90% freeway or always get caught in large traffic stops whatever go for it but it’s so annoying. Like in a busy off ramp slowing moving right it’s gonna start and stop 15 times that’s just not necessary haha