The Peckish Synapse

Grumpy Bear

70 Mph Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

This sign says the minimum speed that is legal is 45 mph on this highway. It also says that the "LIMIT" upper boundary or maximum speed is 70 mpg. Know what that means? That any speed in between these two numbers is a LEGAL and SAFE speed.聽

Know who is first to complain about someone traveling ANY LEGAL speed?

Those traveling OVER the legal maximum.

Simple observation you can test yourself. Drive 10 under the limit. Everyone will pass you and most can do so without exceeding the legal limit. Yea, it's illegal to exceed the speed limit even while passing. WHY? Because it's dangerous.聽

Now pick it up 5 mph. Yep, ya still get passed by everyone. Okay now run it up to the limit and??? You become part of the "hive". A group of聽vehicles running 3 to 4 under to 3 to 4 over all jockeying for position, bumper to bumper and way to close聽cutting each other off and swearing like sailors. There's聽safe.

Run 10 over the limit and guess what. You will still be passed. In fact you can't find a speed you won't be passed. Run 150 and someone will try.聽

One last experiment. Run the minimum......NO ONE WILL PASS YOU....not even that State Patrolman following you. Double true if your driving a full sized Buick. They won't even honk! I expect they become afraid聽 you might be crazy enough to be dangerous.聽馃

No one ever killed anyone聽with their horn.聽聽But you do see several times a year a 50 car pile up where the hive is active and really REALLY stupid.聽聽

Wife and I running a local road looking at the fall colors. Mrs. Bear is driving and running 5 under the limit. Rare. At the end of 14 miles of pretty we enter a town where we turn left to have the car behind us honk and fly the all American Eagle. Even though she could have passed a dozen places safely along the route.聽

Wife waves back smiling and laughing. I ask why? "She must know me", she replies.

Yea, that's what it is.

:crackup:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Haha 1

After averaging 50K miles driving聽聽since I was 17. I can鈥檛 imagine going 45 mph on a southern interstate. During the double nickel days 70 mph was a dream. 55 mph was a sleep inducing boredom. It was painful. A few years ago 70 mph or more was finally achieved. Now I鈥檓 the slow guy a 72 mph. Unbelievable. Seems like the only vehicles I鈥檓 passing are tractor trailers. Some of them are passing me. Some people are never satisfied. But 45? I wouldn鈥檛 try it.

• Like 1

Rational and Reasonable

It's something that is slipping away. Actually...it's in a dead run. Seems 'truth' has been traded in for "alternate facts'. Boy is the word fact being used loosely. Bad trade "Dumb Bear". (Dances with Wolves)

:idiot:

• Thanks 1

If you go 45 in a 70 you deserve to get shot.

Although I will say I believe the increase in speedsters correlates with the increase in police officer speeds. I constantly see LEO driving 10-15 over the limit on the highway and 5-10 over in the city. If they can break the law then I don't see any reason why I cannot :)

2 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

If you go 45 in a 70 you deserve to get shot.

Although I will say I believe the increase in speedsters correlates with the increase in police officer speeds. I constantly see LEO driving 10-15 over the limit on the highway and 5-10 over in the city. If they can break the law then I don't see any reason why I cannot :)

That could be risky. They could come back across the highway. I鈥檝e seen tractor trailer drivers gang up on slow drivers. Usually someone texting. Gently boxing them in. The message was received.

6 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

Oh sure they could. Although I can't really tell looking across the high way. I just mean I know it when they are on my side of the high way. I don't follow them as much as I used to though.

I referring to you kidding about shooting a slow driver. As far a following a fast driving police. My father always did that. If the lights weren鈥檛 on.聽

• 2 weeks later...

13 Milliseconds!

That's how long the brain takes to interpret the light reflecting off an object into a picture of the thing in your head.聽

As you read this what you are reading is always 13 milliseconds in the past. Give that some thought the next time you are inclined to say, "I only believe in what I see 'right now". Your very awareness and existence is in history, the past. If history does not exist neither do you.聽

Your functionality is grounded in your ability to remember the past...your history. That way you don't have to learn what a pair of pants is every morning to put them on; don't have to start square one with speaking every 13 milliseconds.

BTW your pants and the alphabet have histories. Inventors. Go head....you want to. Cancel them. Maybe your pants will disappear and your ability to say and think irrationally. Might be a good thing!

We like to cancel things we don't like. Historical figures but the finger that tips the scales tips it for everything. Imagine canceling the history of the discovery of oil because the discovery was made by someone whom you don't approve of. Don't you have a horse to pick up after? Some poor bee's hive to plunder for wax or some whale for lamp oil. When you cancel someone you cancel an uncomfortable past yes, but also your present and your future. Have any skeletons in your closet? Someone is looking for you with a cancel stamp.聽

13 milliseconds, 13 seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades, centuries, millenniums....whatever. You live in history; so fine....go ahead and cancel it. Maybe you'll go away. Please?聽

• Like 2

And tomorrow never comes!聽 The term "present day" takes care of our 13 millisecond processing delay and will give "now" some temporary space in time.聽 聽I find that the anticipation of an event is the most current. When you're in the event, it's the beginning of the past.聽 聽Knowledge of this can be helpful for the more stressful events.聽 I remember my motivation for walking into a job interview was the thought that the sooner it starts, the sooner it will be over.聽 聽I put up my Christmas lights earlier than usual.聽 They never cease to elevate my mood!聽 聽However, Christmas Day is typically the beginning of the end of the season's joy.聽 New Years Eve is another example.聽 In previous times, my company and I would party hard until 12:00:00!聽 From that precise moment, onward, the party would begin to diminish in attendance and enthusiasm. The fact that we live in history is fine because it is the future that keeps us going! 馃槈

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

And tomorrow never comes!聽 The term "present day" takes care of our 13 millisecond processing delay and will give "now" some temporary space in time.聽 聽I find that the anticipation of an event is the most current. When you're in the event, it's the beginning of the past.聽 聽Knowledge of this can be helpful for the more stressful events.聽 I remember my motivation for walking into a job interview was the thought that the sooner it starts, the sooner it will be over.聽 聽I put up my Christmas lights earlier than usual.聽 They never cease to elevate my mood!聽 聽However, Christmas Day is typically the beginning of the end of the season's joy.聽 New Years Eve is another example.聽 In previous times, my company and I would party hard until 12:00:00!聽 From that precise moment, onward, the party would begin to diminish in attendance and enthusiasm. The fact that we live in history is fine because it is the future that keeps us going! 馃槈

Ever thoughtful Donstar. Ever thoughtful.聽

Romans 8:24,25 (NIV)

For in this hope we were saved.But hope that is seen is no hope at all.Who hopes for what they already have?But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

• 1 month later...

Give this some consideration

It's long and it's hard sledding but if you stick with it there is an interesting and obvious question that is NOT asked and many interesting ones that are.聽聽

When he finishes the explanation that the total energy of a mass is not just it's energy when in motion (nor it's potential energy, kinetic, from it's position) but that the very mass holds "the energy of it's creation" which can be calculated, the whole point of the equation.

What it does not ask is the SOURCE of that creative energy.

Hint

Isaiah 40:26

How much energy would it take to create all the mass of the universe?

How it behaves is the subject of thousands of years of notable men's life work.

But not one asked about the source

Amazingly shallow me thinks

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Boy, I slid for just under 3 minutes and...聽 聽Anyway, I typically enjoy a good academic lecture.聽 At one time I thought I'd spend some retirement time auditing university classes but have changed to such activities as watching huge聽 trucks getting stuck in deep mud on YouTube!聽 聽(Behind all of the "partying" there are some pretty ingenious builds.)聽 聽There are formulas that could assist these drivers but they appear聽 to work on trial and error!聽 This is often a costly, yet sometimes effective way to achieve聽 their goal and I admire their tenacity!聽 聽

• Like 1