The Peckish Synapse

Grumpy Bear

I've spent allot of time on the Stribeck topic and it may never end. The topic is riveting. In concept it isn't to difficult. The vertical axis is the coefficient of friction. The horizontal the speed/force/viscosity relationship. 

218px-Curva_di_Stribeck.svg.png

I ran across this on a WIKI page. The execution of this equation when various conditions are changed. That is a change in speed or force or viscosity. It points out some things. Some obvious and some not so obvious.

220px-Martens_curves.JPG

Obvious is that we know all three of these things are constantly changing in a running motor. We throttle a motor which changes both speed and load and the motor runs from cold to hot in warmup and varies in temperature with load and speed; which changes viscosity.

A few things are not nearly as obvious.

1.) Wear for instance. This relationship is based on the premise that in zone 1 there exist a ratio of surface asperity height and film thickness. A change in smoothness of the surface changes the entire shape of the curve. Tis why a motor broken in well generally runs more efficiently. Cooler, smoother, uses less fuel, makes more power. 

2.) In that second graph we see the result of variations in the fluid itself. (The focus of the study that produced this graph). Here is a prime example of how chemistry changes rheology. Of the difference between viscosity and lubricity

A Group III+ or a PAO is very non polar and an Ester is very polar. Polarity enhances lubricity. Lubricity defined as how 'slippery' something is. No polar fluids require 'friction modifiers' to be as slippery as a polar fluid is naturally. So what happens when you put friction modifiers in a polar fluid? Deer guts on a brass door knob slippery. 

But there is another interaction. What happens with you blend a polar fluid with a non polar fluid?  You don't hear it talked about much but it's a thing called Plane Shear. The polar part clings to the metal as the non polar part rejects the metal. The two fluids at the molecular level slide over each other and do so in a near zero friction state.  

Wiki: In fluid mechanics, the term shear flow (or shearing flow) refers to a type of fluid flow which is caused by forces, rather than to the forces themselves. In a shearing flow, adjacent layers of fluid move parallel to each other with different speeds.

That is there is stress shear (Viscosity) and Planar shear or what happens IN the fluid and what happens in the interaction between the fluids.

3.) From the moment you pour the oil in the crankcase to the minute up take it out it is CHANGING, oxidizing, nitrating, diluting gaining debris...... It happens to ALL lubricants. It just happens at different rates and to different end products but all of them have some effect on the fluids properties that effect its rheology. 

There is way more to a bottle of oil that what is printing on a label or in some test or licensing gibberish. 

And still it isn't rocket science. 

• 2 weeks later...

I met this nice young lady in the line at the DMV yesterday who has a peckish mind. For hours we, the line, stood outside in 90 degree heat as they took 6 at a time into the building so it was get to know your neighbor day. The ones that don't live next door and it was a diverse group. However this young lass stood out to everyone which provided me with an opportunity to observe how others see a peckish mind. As myself she was a stickler for 'words'. Say what you mean, mean what you say, words have meanings and grouped together they convey ideas or thoughts. Do yours convey to others what you wish? She was annoyed at the way people butcher the language siting an experience from dining with coworkers. Evidently the Boss took the crew to some trendy place and at meals end one person very happy said, "This meal was GAS man"! 

She asked what this meant and was ridiculed....get this....for not knowing the MADE UP MEANING of a word in the English language whose REAL meaning has nothing to do with this topic. I could tell this really embarrassed her. I mentioned that by the time she reaches my age, three times hers, she would have to learn English 3 or 4 more times. That she had no reason to be embarrassed as the error was in no way hers. 

To those who side with the "GAS" man and feel you have some 'right' to neuter the language anyway you please to express your individuality  I have this to say: 

Mouse abject pilfer dark wire!!!  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could not have said it better! 

IMG_0395.thumb.JPG.755a859c8f20ade9782f8f2d229dbf39.JPG

I drive between the upper and lower speed limits and act like it hasn't any brakes when appropriate. As much as I drive this saves me $1,700 in fuel cost every year. I've never done a brake job and wont for a very long time to come. I'm fanatical about tire pressure, rotation and balance and get 2.5 X the warranty period in tire life. 125K last set. I clean my windshield and never run my wipers on ice or when frozen and they last 3.5 years about 75K miles a set. I don't drive in the salt. Hardly ever drive if it's below zero. Rarely drive in the rain. I put a clear bra on it and extra box edge protectors, mud flaps and so on to protect the body. Wash and wax often but not to often. Keep the seats covered and detail the thing top to bottom about twice a year. I use the best fluids and filter I can and change them like I own the company that makes them. It is as trouble free as a vehicle can possibly be and nearing it's legal 'end of life'. That would be 150,000 miles. I have no intention of ever trading it or selling as long as I have a license. The savings in gas alone over that period will be more than I paid for the truck. I bought it to Tour, not trash.

Basically I drive it and treat it as an adult. And this seems to drive people batty. 

It looks like I might not be alone.

To those that think you have to destroy your truck to be using it "normally"?

Whatever!

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Could not have said it better! 

IMG_0395.thumb.JPG.755a859c8f20ade9782f8f2d229dbf39.JPG

I drive between the upper and lower speed limits and act like it hasn't any brakes when appropriate. As much as I drive this saves me $1,700 in fuel cost every year. I've never done a brake job and wont for a very long time to come. I'm fanatical about tire pressure, rotation and balance and get 2.5 X the warranty period in tire life. 125K last set. I clean my windshield and never run my wipers on ice or when frozen and they last 3.5 years about 75K miles a set. I don't drive in the salt. Hardly ever drive if it's below zero. Rarely drive in the rain. I put a clear bra on it and extra box edge protectors, mud flaps and so on to protect the body. Wash and wax often but not to often. Keep the seats covered and detail the thing top to bottom about twice a year. I use the best fluids and filter I can and change them like I own the company that makes them. It is as trouble free as a vehicle can possibly be and nearing it's legal 'end of life'. That would be 150,000 miles. I have no intention of ever trading it or selling as long as I have a license. The savings in gas alone over that period will be more than I paid for the truck. I bought it to Tour, not trash.

Basically I drive it and treat it as an adult. And this seems to drive people batty. 

It looks like I might not be alone.

To those that think you have to destroy your truck to be using it "normally"?

Whatever!

Circle back

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Show of hands.

You're back in high school. Your a senior and you pull up a stump with some of your friends to watch a freshman take a beat down from a group of class jackals. The fella that took the punishment stands up, walks over to you, spits that mouth full of blood on your letterman jacket and yells COWARDS. 

Do you:

A. Kick his but-t back to the stone age for messing up your jacket and tell you friends how tough you are...

B. Apologize to him for your cowardice

C. Hope no one tells your dad and best girl

Wait...Okay forget that one. What value is there in freshmen...right?

You are a lifeguard at the beach and from your vantage point you see sharks circling some swimmers 

Do you:

A. Get out your phone to capture the attack

B. Yell to the next station, "Hey Bill watch this!" and point to the sharks

C. Hope no one notices your spine fell out. 

Ah forget that one too. Way to complicated. 

How about this one...

You are rowing down the street in a canoe and it's wheels fall off.

How many pancakes will it take to paper a dog house?

Is it really that hard?

:rolleyes:

Not your point but we often can say what we wish we'd do in such scenarios as the freshman and shark examples but don't really know how we'll react until it happens.  Many years ago in the period of one year we had two extreme experiences.  The first was a car plowing over a couple directly in front of us in a busy crosswalk.  Before most others could quit screaming, my wife had both victims safe,  stable and the site secured.   A few moths later we were heading out on a road trip at 5am.  We were first on the scene of a car hitting a pole with a full term pregnant woman through the windshield.  My wife again showed  calm and skill that even surprises her.  Baby and mom survived only because of how she responds in extreme situations.  I might add she also prevented me from beating on the pregnant lady's  drunk boyfriend who was behind the wheel!  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Donstar said:

Not your point but we often can say what we wish we'd do in such scenarios as the freshman and shark examples but don't really know how we'll react until it happens.  Many years ago in the period of one year we had two extreme experiences.  The first was a car plowing over a couple directly in front of us in a busy crosswalk.  Before most others could quit screaming, my wife had both victims safe,  stable and the site secured.   A few moths later we were heading out on a road trip at 5am.  We were first on the scene of a car hitting a pole with a full term pregnant woman through the windshield.  My wife again showed  calm and skill that even surprises her.  Baby and mom survived only because of how she responds in extreme situations.  I might add she also prevented me from beating on the pregnant lady's  drunk boyfriend who was behind the wheel!  

No it wasn't but touching experiences both and worthy of a peckish synapse.

To affirm the point was people who should/could/can come to ones defense when they see  a wrong just will not if they believe that it will make them a target of ridicule.  Forums are full of people like this. They see the wrong and yet find it entertaining. Until they need help then..........

Their behavior is reprehensible and they would be shamed if their best girl or father found out but...ya know.....You don't know the guy...don't eat at his house so...yea....kick the dog ya know wont bite you. Some sick behavior.  

• Like 1

I really don't know what a peckish synapse is but like, Philosophy 100, I'll participate with interest!  I  too am annoyed by individuals who pounce on others/me with the bravado of a junior high bully.  I suspect many of these individuals spent a significant amount of time inside their lockers when they were young and now it's payback time!  It's a sort of censorship because my opinions become watered down to avoid attack.  When opinions differ from my own, I wonder why.  Demographics such as location and age usually play a role. Sometimes different opinions are quite compatible.  A toddler may choose not to poke metal objects into a plug socket or reach for a stove-top because it will anger mom/dad.  This works for both child and parent.  However the youth may choose these activities specifically because they anger/taunt mom or dad!  Before Little Donstar sticks a fork into the plug socket to piss off mom, maybe he should research as to why this makes her so irate! 😉 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I really don't know what a peckish synapse is but like, Philosophy 100, I'll participate with interest!  I  too am annoyed by individuals who pounce on others/me with the bravado of a junior high bully.  I suspect many of these individuals spent a significant amount of time inside their lockers when they were young and now it's payback time!  It's a sort of censorship because my opinions become watered down to avoid attack.  When opinions differ from my own, I wonder why.  Demographics such as location and age usually play a role. Sometimes different opinions are quite compatible.  A toddler may choose not to poke metal objects into a plug socket or reach for a stove-top because it will anger mom/dad.  This works for both child and parent.  However the youth may choose these activities specifically because they anger/taunt mom or dad!  Before Little Donstar sticks a fork into the plug socket to piss off mom, maybe he should research as to why this makes her so irate! 😉 

I noticed this too. Usually it’s the person who screams the loudest is the worst. Name calling or head in the sand memes follows. Simply by offering a counter point or alternative experience. Even if you can back up the alternative. The hast tags follows. Differing opinion keeps life interesting. Calling names changes the narrative. The learning then stops. It becomes theater.

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

Peckish, Hungry, Synapse, Connection in the brain. Hungry Mind. 

One that hungers for truth. People like to argue "What is truth?" (John 18:34). They believe it has 'versions' or is subject to "opinion". Like gravity cares what we think of it. :rolleyes: 

Funny you should mention the fork in a light socket. At about age four I used a bobby pin sending the entire house dark and receiving an health burn for my trouble. Was one of the few stupid things I ever did mother didn't beat me for. Oh she would have if she could have stopped laughing long enough. Anyway.....

We rely on truth every day to give life order. So that it makes sense. So it is even possible. We take it for granted and this turns out to be a favor. Otherwise those million mindless decisions we make automatically every day would require hours of rediscovery each morning just to put our feet on the floor. 

You remember the experience of the resurrection of Lazarus in John 11. Some who witnessed this event when to tell the Pharisees, the High Priest of the Living God and what was their response? John 11:45-48,53

45 Therefore, many of the Jews who had come to Mary and who saw what he did put faith in him, 46 but some of them went off to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done. 47 So the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered the Sanhedrin together and said: “What are we to do, for this man performs many signs? 48 If we let him go on this way, they will all put faith in him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.”....So from that day on they conspired to kill him.

Further: John 12:9-11

9 Meanwhile, a large crowd of Jews got to know that he was there, and they came not only because of Jesus but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised up from the dead.+ 10 The chief priests now conspired to kill Lazarus also, 11 since it was because of him that many of the Jews were going there and putting faith in Jesus.

As the resurrection was undeniable they saught to kill both Christ AND Lazarus to suppress the truth believing this would assure both "Their place and their nation". 

In a short while people are mixed opinion. Some believe it happened and some did not. But that difference of opinion had no bearing on the truth. 

People have opinions and they have feelings about many different things. Not much of it is true. Bold statement? Once you have the truth you no longer have an opinion. It's kind of in the definitions of the words. 

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

It's a sort of censorship

It's not just sort of...it's their plan. If they can keep the waters of truth muddy then whatever advantage they seek is possible. Why? Because the one who knows the truth can not be dissuaded. 

The Priest wanted to keep there prominent positions. The Romans wanted to keep control. Sales people...that one should be water clear what they are up to.

Here? They fear being wrong and miss the entire point of a forum. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

Nice read and well stated^^^.  I find  "my opinion" often used as a more gentle approach to saying "you're lying".  Most of my working years were spent in leadership roles.  My "truths" were often challenged.  I remember making what I thought to be a unarguable good news announcement and a staff member shouted out, "this is terrible news".   Her ability to differentiate content from the messenger  was a flaw in her recognition of  truth.  Identical news delivered by her staff rep was the truth.  Another story:  When I was 15,  I occasionally found myself in arguments with my new brother-in-law over item colour. We couldn't even a agree on the colour of his car.  I finally asked his wife  (my older and wiser sister) why and she told me he's was diagnosed in the Navy as colour blind but refuses to believe.  He says his yellow car is green and he's telling the truth! 😉 

• Like 1

Once upon a time in a land far away when OEM's made cars instead of money and cared if their products worked well or not the new owners got a manual that contained every important measurement they could possibly provide and as much sage advice as they could type. In my new trucks/SUV's I can not for the life of me fine those pages!!

In a haphazard way they will eventually show up in a TSB if the withheld information causes enough issues to get their (unwanted) attention. Such is the case with the GM 2.4. 

After getting their but-t dragged to court GM finally decided to issue one for oil consumption. What an ugly little thing it turned out to be and it was privy only to the service tech. 

In point of fact it contained several items that would be of interest to the owner in helping prevent the recurrence of this issue and more pointedly if it were made PUBLIC like sending out letters to all owners PUBLIC, might just have stopped the issue going forward. 

So why not GM? 

Do you like to speculate?  What would it mean to GM? 

Would it mean admitting that the PCV system type, orifice, is a flawed design? 

Would it mean they failed to warn the public of an operational issue baked into the cake they failed to disclose?

Would it mean the vaunted DEXOS license could be show to be insufficient in prevention?

Would it mean the Power Train Division so missed the boat in ring selection as to undermine their credibility? 

Would it mean the Power Train Division failed to implement the same piston cooling jet strategies that fixed the LS? 

So what would GM do?

Issue a TSB half way through the product cycle and fight it until they dropped the platform altogether. 

The Wolf ate Little Red Riding Hood.  

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Nice read and well stated^^^.  I find  "my opinion" often used as a more gentle approach to saying "you're lying".  Most of my working years were spent in leadership roles.  My "truths" were often challenged.  I remember making what I thought to be a unarguable good news announcement and a staff member shouted out, "this is terrible news".   Her ability to differentiate content from the messenger  was a flaw in her recognition of  truth.  Identical news delivered by her staff rep was the truth.  Another story:  When I was 15,  I occasionally found myself in arguments with my new brother-in-law over item colour. We couldn't even a agree on the colour of his car.  I finally asked his wife  (my older and wiser sister) why and she told me he's was diagnosed in the Navy as colour blind but refuses to believe.  He says his yellow car is green and he's telling the truth! 😉 

Okay that is just freakish. Drive last night I was trying to come up with examples of situations were someone was not lying but still incorrect and the first example to come to mind was??? Oh C'mon Guess already :crackup:

Yep...Colour Blindness. Somebody just walked on my grave. 😉 

Okay Donstar. Ya almost got me. Color is a wavelength of light. We chose to call a certain wavelength a certain name. The inability to distinguish or differentiate so as to agree does not change the wavelength thus does not change the truth.

Then there is this: 

6 hours ago, Donstar said:

I finally asked his wife  (my older and wiser sister) why and she told me he's was diagnosed in the Navy as colour blind but refuses to believe. 

The very definition of suppressing the truth. 😉 

• Like 1

I think it would be very hard to convince someone they were colorblind if they were diagnosed unexpectedly as an adult!  My wife and I have been trying to select some new flooring and I suspect one of us has a problem between what is grey and what is brown.  I know I don't have a problem! 😉   With respect to my brother-in-law, his colorblindness works for him.  He can distinguish between colors he likes and those he doesn't.  The names he gives many colors are ones we apply differently.  He has his own truth!

• Like 2