The Peckish Synapse

Grumpy Bear

On 4/3/2022 at 1:18 PM, KARNUT said:

We were going and blowing until the last election. Cheating and censorship gave us what we are experiencing presently. And the war on fossil fuels. Weakness in the withdrawal of Afghanistan empowered our enemies. Now tariffs are being lifted on China goods causing a shrinking of made in America again. A solar panel maker in Atlanta an example. The Biden corruption is paying off for China. The southern border fiasco is baffling. The only corruption that worries me occupies the Oval Office. Hopefully it can be reversed. The deep state has been exposed with the fines levied against the Clinton campaign. Hopefully it doesn’t stop there.

Edited by customboss
saving admins time and effort for morons who can't read

YOU or you or ewe or U

Teacher stands in front of her class and say "Will you please turn to page 30 in your textbooks"?

Bible quoting God says, "And YOU will have to know that I am the LORD" KJV and yet in another he says, "You will have to know..."

Your father ask his young son standing near the toolbox, "Will you hand me that wrench please"?

4H Judge says, "Will you please bring your ewe here and do a U turn"?

English was never my favorite subject in school but I do remember a few things.

First search on Google quotes you as: 

A personal pronoun refers to a specific person or thing and changes its form to indicate person, number, gender, and case. A subjective personal pronoun indicates that the pronoun is acting as the subject of the sentence. The subjective personal pronouns are "I," "you," "she," "he," "it," "we," "you," "they."

As a personal pronoun you father meant you as the individual he was speaking to when asking for that wrench. 

As a SUBJECTIVE personal pronoun your teacher says YOU to mean the entire class instead of calling out each name of every individual in that class. In the Bible many translations use YOU to mean the subjective form and you to mean the personal form and there is a hint in that. 

We normally understand the meaning of some words with multiple meaning by their context and common sense when in written form and by observation and common sense in oral form. The Bible removes the ambiguity or doubt with use of the upper or lower case for the entire pronoun. WHY???

Especially in this day and age we, as a species, we would rather not be bothered with the humble task of spending a split second attempting to UNDERSTAND the MEANING of a persons words. WE PREFERE to find the fault in those words that let us choose the meaning that supports OUR case than THEIR'S

As if we owned those words they spoke? (Or wrote) 

Sad indeed we have put Grace out with the trash.

We now live in a world were WINNING is more important than UNDERSTANDING

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, customboss said:

On a public internet forum generally YOU is addressing the reader. 

The Internet is a strange place. No doubt about it. It makes it's own rules. Conflict abounds as deviation from the social contracts and the sense of "normal'  we signed loose all meaning. I'm sure you are right and just as sure that it is just wrong.

Such deviations prevent graceful efficient pleasant communication and cause frustration. Making clear meanings improbable if not impossible. When such is true....if you don't stop..... Well....just better to be quite for awhile. 

I'm sure some think I get mad when I just got quite..... Pointless to try to continue to drive a nail you've bent... 

23 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

The Internet is a strange place. No doubt about it. It makes it's own rules. Conflict abounds as deviation from the social contracts and the sense of "normal'  we signed loose all meaning. I'm sure you are right and just as sure that it is just wrong.

Such deviations prevent graceful efficient pleasant communication and cause frustration. Making clear meanings improbable if not impossible. When such is true....if you don't stop..... Well....just better to be quite for awhile. 

I'm sure some think I get mad when I just got quite..... Pointless to try to continue to drive a nail you've bent... 

Any written communication is dependent on writer and reader to have a common language of course. I agree with that.  Internet communications have been used to misinform, leverage, and allows lower than the common denominator a louder voice that once was in the physical public square.  You are correct lies tend to get retold as truth. Sad. Agreed. 

• Like 1

Gasoline

I'm going to do a gasoline project here. Little bits at at time instead of drowning the rats on this ship. 

LSR and HSR AKA light and heavy straight run gasoline are AKA light and heavy naphtha. What you are looking at here is the D-86 distillation curves for four draws of a FCC or Fluid Cat Cracker Unit. HSR and LSR are gasoline 'feed stocks' not finished gasoline. This unit was my baby. An ESSO Model IV non regenerative unit. Feed for an FCC comes from a Crude Unit Heavy Gas Oil Draw on the Vacuum column. The Atmospheric Crude column has already pulled 1/4 of each barrel of crude in light and heavy naphtha that are also gasoline feed stocks. That column feeds the Vacuum column. The FCC increases both the yield and the octane rating of the blend stocks. Out of the FCC that number is now in the 70's. 

Petroleum Products and a Refinery Configuration | SpringerLink

In the early 1900's there was little use for Naphtha as a motor fuel and every drop of gasoline was made right at the Atmospheric column and the crude gasoline that powered Henry's Model T and like motors had an octane value from the upper 50's to mid 60's. Henry's Model T had a compression ratio of 4.5:1 and it ran well on these crude fuels. 

Look at the initial boiling point of each stream. . We are a ways from a finished fuel but this D-86 below is pretty close to a blended fuel that contains the entire naphtha range. Like one would get drawing this curve starting with LSR and ending with HSR. Not that simple but you can picture it. 

main-qimg-9ebcd67d126e5f3b738a1a2da41740b7.webp

So first point to make is that gasoline is a blended product of about 200 hydrocarbons, plus stuff.

So get your chemistry book out and list all the hydrocarbons with boiling points between 95 F and 395 F. remember the above are not finished fuels so don't get hung up on the exact temperatures. It's a distillation of many products not a split like water and alcohol like your grandfathers still; so if it's in the column either naturally as in the Atmospheric column or 'Reformed" by a process, it's in that liquid.

• Like 1

Gasoline #2

Curve Shifting of Bintulu Crude: Straight run ( | Download Scientific  Diagram

Here is what I want you to understand from this graph. The boiling point of any CUT (Naphtha is the gasoline cut in this diagram) is proportional to the number of carbon atoms. 
If you want to know more specifics about gasoline try this WIKI page: 
Okay back to where I'm driving this buss. 

3-s2.0-B9780126639711500117-f07-12-9780126639711.gif.070b58fe7f182ec189aa7e3e32954266.gif

Let's see if I can put to pieces of the puzzle together without stepping on my lips. 
3-s2.0-B0122274105002684-gr19.gif

The above is a typical finished gasoline by carbon number and this distribution has a boiling RANGE. 

Gasoline blending has to meet several objectives. D-86 boiling points have to be met for several places along that curve to meet certain performance standards. Like these:
Atmospheric Distillation :: Anton Paar Wiki
The balancing act is that of which hydrocarbon atoms within the boiling range will provide the REQUIRED OCTANE. 
The shape of the curve, a requirement for performance reasons can be constructed by several selections of carbon counts as can octane requirements but when you put the two requirements together those possible combinations become MUCH smaller until you have something that looks like the carbon distribution shown in the carbon number diagram. Go back and look at the Octane vs carbon number verses Lewis structure picture. What do you see?
Gasoline simply distilled has a very low octane rating and to get a higher one you much blend in aromatics and isomers. From a $$$$ standpoint the best octane aromatics are way more valuable as feed stocks for other processes or as products eliminating them as a MAJOR feed stock for gas blending. C5 Isomers is your big component. ISOPENTANE ISOMERS and not aromatics lead the octane charge. Yes there are some naturally residing within that boiling range and some manufactured by other processes.
So we have to met the octane requirement. The boiling range requirement and we have to met the volatility requirement. Reid Vapor Pressure. How much Butane and Isobutane mostly. We also have to meet the carbon hydrogen molar mass ratio IF 14.7:1 is to remain our stoichiometric AFR. 
Reforming, Isomerization and Alkylation is about creating higher octane blend stocks which means shorter chains of more highly branched molecules to be blended with straight run products that are the big end of the gasoline stick.

These shorter carbon chain molecules ENHANCE the cleanliness of gasoline. Dirty, carbon wise, is controlled with the end point not the aromatic content of a fuel. 

Enough for today.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Marketers market.  Our Olds Achieva factory built " stock"  road racing IMSA car had a lot of EXPERIMENTAL "stock" parts......LOL    

The 1936 4 cylinder Willy's was truly capable of great MPG.  Ton per mile.....LOL  great for freight train. 

• Like 1

OK Boomers!!!!  this explains you're juvenile delinquency tendencies..... and general high blood pressure.

Key takeaway don't suck on exhaust pipes.   ☠️

We've traded lead for gasoline PM and SOA's , fine soots we breathe in and can't expel. Secondary Organic Aerosols. 

If only ethanol had been incorporated earlier. 

• Like 1

Choose your fuel and keep the 15L, 9L, or 6.7L Cummins engine

Cummins unveils fuel-agnostic internal combustion engine strategy

Feb. 15, 2022
Beginning in 2024, Cummins will apply fuel-agnostic technologies across its X, L, and B-Series engine platforms. Diesel, natural gas, and hydrogen internal combustion engine offerings aim to help the transition to zero-emission powertrains.

https://www.fleetowner.com/emissions-efficiency/article/21216839/cummins-unveils-fuelagnostic-internal-combustion-engine-strategy

Edited by customboss

3 hours ago, diyer2 said:

We the people are expendable for profit. We are a source of revenue from birth to death. 

Absolutely true, when the consumer believes what are outright hidden science that can debunk the lies for profit we are harmed as a nation.  Exxon found that global warming was for real related to combustion of fossil fuels in 1977!!!!  Then lied about their own data. 

Check this out: 

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/investigation-finds-exxon-ignored-its-own-early-climate-change-warnings/