First Pickup in my life... need advice from the pros

Hi Gentlemen,

Great forum here... lots of knowledge

My Jeep SRT was just lemoned... time for a new truck!

I have some questions for you as I prepare to lock in my purchase.

Going to get a 2020 AT4 - Crew/short box with the 6.2

1. What is a leveling kit? Why does the front come

Low from the factory?

2. I want to run 35s on the stock wheels... should I order the stock 18s or upgrade to the 20s? What size looks, performs best with 35s?

Huge car guy... understand how critical these forums are for everything related to mods, issues, general support. can’t wait to get one!

Thanks guys

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leveling kits raise the front to match the rear.

The rear is always higher because you can tow, in simple terms they want the rear end higher so it can squat more when you put weight in the bed or hook up a trailer.

If trucks came completely level from the factory, you'd be riding the bump stops in the rear with just a small trailer attached. Having the extra 1.5-2in in the rear helps a ton.

• Like 1

Leveling kits raise the front to match the rear.

The rear is always higher because you can tow, in simple terms they want the rear end higher so it can squat more when you put weight in the bed or hook up a trailer.

If trucks came completely level from the factory, you'd be riding the bump stops in the rear with just a small trailer attached. Having the extra 1.5-2in in the rear helps a ton.

Well damn that makes sense

At most, I tow 7700 here and there... I assume I should be fine right?

Is there a level kit that’s the top dog for our 2019s? Or are the high end companies still developing kits? Do it once, do it right.

Thanks for you help man.. :)

47 minutes ago, PabloK said:

Hi Gentlemen,

Great forum here... lots of knowledge

My Jeep SRT was just lemoned... time for a new truck!

I have some questions for you as I prepare to lock in my purchase.

Going to get a 2020 AT4 - Crew/short box with the 6.2

1. What is a leveling kit? Why does the front come

Low from the factory?

2. I want to run 35s on the stock wheels... should I order the stock 18s or upgrade to the 20s? What size looks, performs best with 35s?

Huge car guy... understand how critical these forums are for everything related to mods, issues, general support. can’t wait to get one!

Thanks guys

Pete

Leveling Kit is a popular and somewhat economical way to "lift" the nose to reduce the factory rake. 35's will look awesome on an AT4

whether 18 or 20 but 18's will ride and crawl better. Guess it will depend on how often you go off road. Good luck with shopping for it!

• Like 1

get 20’s with decent size tires . 18’s look too small on these trucks. Depending how much you “off road” you will be glad you got 20’s for driving. 

I was kind of thinking the exact same thing.

20s will also balance out the tire/rim ratio and look more balanced...

Good point on handling, Less sidewall will make her slightly more controlled on the road as well...

Off-roading for me is random fire roads by my cabin. Nothing hardcore lol

Good advice, thanks brother

• Like 1

Have you test driven the AT4 6.2? I had a plans and money set aside to lift and throw 35s on mine...My AT4 drives better than my most recent BMW and the Mercedes I drive in regularly (no joke). Every time I think about doing extensive mods I start to think about ruining my buttery ride. 

My list of mods is shrinking from a full build to a tint, bed rug and bed cover...

Edited by Chris walker
  • Like 1

Plus even with people installing levels on an AT4 with no issues the companies are not recommending it. Just got my 6.2 AT4 and very happy with it. Rides amazing on the 20s. I have always been a more sidewall is better kinda guy. Liked 18s over 20s forever. This truck ended up changing me. The 20s ride much much better. 

• Like 1

Have you test driven the AT4 6.2? I had a plans and money set aside to lift and throw 35s on mine...My AT4 drives better than my most recent BMW and the Mercedes I drive in regularly (no joke). Every time I think about doing extensive mods I start to think about ruining my buttery ride. 

My list of mods is shrinking from a full build to a tint, bed rug and bed cover...

I did drive one... and I agree... ride is amazing!!!!!

Thanks for the help!

Plus even with people installing levels on an AT4 with no issues the companies are not recommending it. Just got my 6.2 AT4 and very happy with it. Rides amazing on the 20s. I have always been a more sidewall is better kinda guy. Liked 18s over 20s forever. This truck ended up changing me. The 20s ride much much better. 

I think those rancho shocks really help butter up the ride... maybe I’m dreaming but I test drove an identical Denali with the adaptive suspension and I honestly thought the AT4 clearly rode nicer... it just soaked up the big bumps so well... wasn’t jarring or anything...

Appreciate all the advice guys.. I love cars, big purchase, good to have knowledge from owners and not a sales guy

13 hours ago, Inline6DirtyMaxRST said:

get 20’s with decent size tires . 18’s look too small on these trucks. Depending how much you “off road” you will be glad you got 20’s for driving. 

Pete, welcome to the site!

The AT4 has a 20" wheel option also. If you like the factory version that is.

18" wheels will provide a slightly better ride as the tire will have more sidewall height for cushion vs a 20" wheel.

I would not want a 22" wheel as what comes on some of the Denali packages. Even with the adaptive ride control less sidewall = stiffer ride.

• Like 1

Pete, welcome to the site!
The AT4 has a 20" wheel option also. If you like the factory version that is.
18" wheels will provide a slightly better ride as the tire will have more sidewall height for cushion vs a 20" wheel.
I would not want a 22" wheel as what comes on some of the Denali packages. Even with the adaptive ride control less sidewall = stiffer ride.

Thanks Dan...

Yup it’s like a $800-900 option. Im going that route 100%.

Will take them off and powder coat them satin black.

The 22s with some aggressive tires looks great, but I’m not willing to sacrifice the huge increase in rotational mass. At some point that weight starts to really affect any vehicle... the suspension will be overworked- negatively affecting handling. Acceleration, braking... its too much of a sacrifice for my to justify for just a cool look.

Tires, brakes, and suspension are the most important mods and shouldn’t be overlooked.

Appreciate the advice and warm welcome.

This is a good forum... folks seem to want to help, not bash like some forums I’m on... it’s a breath of fresh air.

Pete

Powdercoat over time will chip easier and tend to show cracks, just a warning is all.

Getting them professionally re-painted is better. Or not all because 20's will turn into 18's when you make them black. Black wheels always look smaller than they really are.

Powdercoat over time will chip easier and tend to show cracks, just a warning is all.

Getting them professionally re-painted is better. Or not all because 20's will turn into 18's when you make them black. Black wheels always look smaller than they really are.

I’m sorry, I strongly disagree .... there’s ZERO comparison between paint and powder coat. Powder coating provides better performance than wet paint across the board.. this is well know across the industry.

Painting is a low-cost and well-known method for coating your wheels, but in reality, it leaves your wheels vulnerable to corrosion. Prone to scratching and chipping, paint is a short-term solution, causing unnecessary corrosion to your wheels and leading your vehicle to be taken off the road again and again to get its wheels repainted. This also proves to be costly due to the repeat application, despite the initial savings. Another factor that adds to the long-term expense is that painting does not shield the wheel, causing wheels on the road to wear down more quickly without protection.

Powder coating creates a non-porous surface shield that is more resistant than traditional liquid paints, which means that your powder-coated rims will be able to withstand even the most unforgiving road environments.

The baking process causes the particles to fuse together, but it actually allows the powder coating to cure. The end result is a thicker, more durable surface coverage. General rule of thumb, under the same conditions, powder coating lasts up to three times longer than traditional painting.

In regards to a black finish making wheels look small.... To each there own... the Design the the wheel... spokes that run to the edge of the rim, any sort of lip, tire size and wheel gap all can visually change how a wheel looks..